Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Shit, i just found out my subjects had syllabuses.
Heh, I swear to god, all of mine have it as well but they're all fucking useless. They're just like, we will be teaching you chemistry on metals and organic stuff - the end.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Heh, I swear to god, all of mine have it as well but they're all fucking useless. They're just like, we will be teaching you chemistry on metals and organic stuff - the end.
Yea they're not very specific.

Hey does any1 know what the law is on dubstepping your lecturers?

Aysce

HSC
Has anyone here had experience with a Summer Research Scholarship, particularly in the human sciences field? Planning to apply but just wanted more deets on experiences :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone here had experience with a Summer Research Scholarship, particularly in the human sciences field? Planning to apply but just wanted more deets on experiences :)
Varies a lot depending on your project because you need to do a fair bit of reading to actually do research properly. So unsurprising, how much you get through varies a lot depending on how much you commit to the scholarship, your project, your supervisor etc. Some people have managed to get publications after some extra time after the project while some people completely avoided the field.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Finally :)

Plus it looks like it will connect with the local train line going through my area.

Life is good :)

mreditor16

HSC
UNSWer here.

Two quick questions

a) When would construction of this probably finish?

b) During construction, how much disruption would you guys experience (esp. in regards to current travel)?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
UNSWer here.

Two quick questions

b) During construction, how much disruption would you guys experience (esp. in regards to current travel)?
From what I can gather, this is only still in the very early stages of conception and no projected time spans at this stage. I'd say 5-7 years absolute earliest, but that's a personal guide for how things like transport tend to happen in nsw.

Probably not much disruption to current experience because students usually travel to preexisting stations of central or redfern and either bus or walk from there.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSWer here.

Two quick questions

I'll have a go at answering this one.

a) 2024, with construction of the Metro City & Southwest starting in 2017
b) Considering a 2017 start date, this doesn't mean that construction of stations will commence during 2017. I suppose it could impact students if they are currently travelling between stations which will be retrofit. The Epping-Chatswood line will be retro-fit for the NW Metro, and this means that all underground platforms for these stations will be closed. Stations between Bankstown and Sydenham are slated for these upgrades.

http://sydneymetro.info/project-overview1/faqs#10004

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I'll have a go at answering this one.

a) 2024, with construction of the Metro City & Southwest starting in 2017
b) Considering a 2017 start date, this doesn't mean that construction of stations will commence during 2017. I suppose it could impact students if they are currently travelling between stations which will be retrofit. The Epping-Chatswood line will be retro-fit for the NW Metro, and this means that all underground platforms for these stations will be closed. Stations between Bankstown and Sydenham are slated for these upgrades.

http://sydneymetro.info/project-overview1/faqs#10004
And this is what you get when someone does some proper research instead of just going off hearsay. Cheers Ozko!

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
protip: probs won't happen in your uni lifetime :p
Oh don't worry, I'm going to be in uni for a loooooooong time haha.

Although to be fair I did think they would be finishing it earlier than 2024. Especially since most of the stations they're proposing to link already exist. Still, I may get minimum one or two years use out of it.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
My clinical placement is done! Ah, finally, holid- No, wait. Two weeks of work.

Would a new train station mean an end to the hair-tearing molasses-like flow of slow walkers?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
My clinical placement is done! Ah, finally, holid- No, wait. Two weeks of work.

Would a new train station mean an end to the hair-tearing molasses-like flow of slow walkers?
nup, just a relocation of them from redern to the new station.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Predictions

CHEM1901-Distinction
PHYS1001-Credit
BIOL1001-Credit
MATH1901-Credit
MATH1902-???? no idea, leaning more towards a fail/pass/maybe credit.

Under the assumption there's no scaling. Probably will be for Math.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I'm actually terrified because my handwriting is in the shit. Also had crossed out lines among non-crossed out words in the same sentence, whole paragraphs zig zagged out, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)