Semi-projectile motion question (1 Viewer)

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
My friend emailed me this question, wanting me to do it for him. I've figured out how to do it except I'm not sure how to email it back in an understandable way.. :mad1: It's a multiple choice question from his prelim half yearlies.

A golfer swings a 0.2 kg golf club towards a gold ball of mass 45 g. When it hits the golf ball, the club is moving at 45 m/s and, immediately after contact, the club is moving at 29 m/s.

What is the velocity of the gold ball immediately after being hit?

Could someone help me type this out so it's easy to read and able to be copy pasted or I can just screenshot it.

Thanks alot.

Oh and I know its not really proj motion, but its the closest sub forum I could find, sorry =(

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Try the momentum formula. Other than that I have no idea.

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Yea I used the impulse formula and got the answer, I just need a way to type it out properly so it can be emailed. Btw the answer is 71.11111... m/s.

Dx_God

HSC
the formula is actually law of conservation of momentum. i'm assuming that u can't type the formula so i'll just give u the formula:
m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly as above. Use that and you'll get the correct answer.

Dx_God

HSC
i just realised u can't do the small 1s and 2s on this website... meh atleast they allow pictures. anyways it's below:

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
I used the impulse formula and got the same answer, is that okay? The only thing is that with the conservation formula, I get a negative value of speed, instead of 71, i get -71m/s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)