Sending an SOS to the world!! (1 Viewer)

The Iceman

HSC
I have never been great at maths. Not bad and could run with the ball, but since Yr 11 our class has not got over 60%.
In Yr 11 we had a teacher who is in her 70's and has taught everyone's mum and dad. All she did was talk slow and work out of the fucking text book. Learnt nothing. This year we have a rude, and stupid Indian teacher who you cnt undertand. She won't help, she'll just brush it away and it's more text book shit.
I'm not a stupid kid or nothing, i'm coming first in everything but maths, but i can never do any good in exams and that. In the half yearlies i came third in the class but scored 43%
I have a study book which i made up with all the formulas and just easy instructions that i use to study from. I even have a Excel study guide so i'm not goin to bad there.
I don't know whats the go, and i just need any tips or suggestions of how to pull things up.
Anything would be greatful

theiceman13@hotmail.com

rama_v

HSC
Can I suggest a tutor? That would be a good place to start if your teacher is crap...

drama_fag

HSC
see that pisses me off...

every1 thinks general maths is such a breeze!

in reality, sure there is some really easy stuff in there, but god... there is some tricky crap as well

all you need to do in general maths, is after every lesson, when you get home just go over what u did in class... if you dont get it, call up a mate of urs who was in the year above you

ive found that ex hsc students are the best tutors out there... so yeah just grab someone who did the hsc fairly recently to teach you ur stuff

sally_33

HSC
The Iceman said:
I have never been great at maths. Not bad and could run with the ball, but since Yr 11 our class has not got over 60%.
In Yr 11 we had a teacher who is in her 70's and has taught everyone's mum and dad. All she did was talk slow and work out of the fucking text book. Learnt nothing. This year we have a rude, and stupid Indian teacher who you cnt undertand. She won't help, she'll just brush it away and it's more text book shit.
I'm not a stupid kid or nothing, i'm coming first in everything but maths, but i can never do any good in exams and that. In the half yearlies i came third in the class but scored 43%
I have a study book which i made up with all the formulas and just easy instructions that i use to study from. I even have a Excel study guide so i'm not goin to bad there.
I don't know whats the go, and i just need any tips or suggestions of how to pull things up.
Anything would be greatful

theiceman13@hotmail.com
the tutor thing is a good idea, but you'll still need to put in the effort for youself. of course its crap if your teacher is bad, (and obviously helps if you have a teacher who can actually TEACH you the work!!) but that said, no-ones teacher is going to sit the exams for them. you should do every question in the textbook, practice makes perfect. the more questions you do, the more likely it is that the questions you see in the exam won't be new to you, and you'll know how to do it.

you also need to work on exam technique. make sure you allocate time correctly for each section, and for multiple choice work out the answer before you look at the options they give you, and make sure you show thorough neat working.

do as many past papers as you can, and if you dont have it get the 'success one' book which has exam style questions on every topic, or borrow it from the library.

good luck :)

sisfshadow

HSC
ok for starters if your really having trouble i reckon u should get a tutor, i've not had any trouble with general but it should help. also if you have a crap teacher get as much info you can from the textbooks and work it out for yourself, i've been doing this for physics cos of a complete lack of a teacher and if you can work the stuff out for yourself then it seems to stick way better.but really all you need to do is focus on the maths a little more and just really try. it should go alright for you if you just teach yourself, it may take a little longer to get a good grasp of things but thats better then trying and failing to understand what the teachers trying to teach. well good luck.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
grab a number of textbooks (not just excel, success one are pretty good) as well as past exam papers to practice on.

PC

HSC
N/A
Well, I think you've come to a good place. Most of the folk here are really helpful. You've also got a few people that have done your course before you and they can give some valuable tips.

So ... what have you got to lose. Find a place to start - a difficult topic or question - and ask away! Can't hurt!

Where else? I would suggest to get a copy of the Maths In Focus textbooks. They have some good, clear explanations and lots of entry-level questions. If you can do all of those then you're going OK. After that, try some harder textbooks or some past exam papers.

You could also try the HSC on line site http://hsc.csu.edu.au/maths for some other tips and tutorials.

Hope this helps!

Lisa05

HSC
If i was you i would just go through text books and study guides and if there are things you are getting wrong or dont understand ask other teachers at your skool or post them in here. If you are having heeps of trouble, maybe a tutor is a good idea. Im in the same boat with my teacher, im just lucky i get the work... Just go through example after example and practice..Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)