Several Motion Questions : < (1 Viewer)

Volarath

HSC
Hi all,
I was just trying to run through a question sheet issued by my school on the Motion topic and got stuck / confused by a couple of the questions.

1) If a certain object has velocity v = 8x<SUP>2</SUP>, and if x = 2 when t = 1, then find:
(i) a in terms of x.

---Im not even sure what a</I> even stands for. As far as I know there can only be an amplitude if its in SHM, and this doesnt appear to be. a could possibly mean acceleration, though I seriously doubt it---

EDIT: Solved. Acceleration = v . dv / dx

2) An object falling directly to earth from space moves according to the equation d<SUP>2</SUP>x / dt<SUP>2</SUP> = -k / x<SUP>2<SUP>
where x is the distance of the object from the centre of the earth at time t. The constant k is related to g, the value of gravity at the eath's surface, and the radius of the earth, R, by the formula k = gR<SUP>2</SUP>. Show that if the particle started from rest at a distance of 10<SUP>9</SUP> from the earth's centre, then it would reach the earth with a velocity of approximately 11200m/s. (Assume R = 6.4 x 10<SUP>6</SUP>m and g = 9.8 m/s<SUP>2</SUP>)

---I got something around 15000m/s. Also I wasnt sure whether to take the centre of the earth as the 'earth', or to halve the radius and take the surface of the earth as the 'earth'. Either way I was still wrong :/----

EDIT: Solved. Was halving the radius. GG maths retardation

3) A six is scored in a cricket game when the blal is hit over the boundary fence on the full. A ball is hit from O with velocity V = 32m/s at an angle Z to the horizontal and towards the 1 metre high boundary fence 100 metres away.

(a) Show that the ball just clears the boundary when

50000tan<SUP>2</SUP>Z - 102400tanZ +51024 = 0

---I got something which vaguely resembled this but was still a fair ways off. The numbers were generally the same but I was a few trig's short---

Any help would really be appreciated !
</SUP></SUP>

EDIT: Solved thanks to you guys

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
Volarath said:
Hi all,
I was just trying to run through a question sheet issued by my school on the Motion topic and got stuck / confused by a couple of the questions.

1) If a certain object has velocity v = 8x<SUP>2</SUP>, and if x = 2 when t = 1, then find:
(i) a in terms of x.

---Im not even sure what a</I> even stands for. As far as I know there can only be an amplitude if its in SHM, and this doesnt appear to be. a could possibly mean acceleration, though I seriously doubt it---

EDIT: Solved. Acceleration = v . dv / dx

2) An object falling directly to earth from space moves according to the equation d<SUP>2</SUP>x / dt<SUP>2</SUP> = -k / x<SUP>2<SUP>
where x is the distance of the object from the centre of the earth at time t. The constant k is related to g, the value of gravity at the eath's surface, and the radius of the earth, R, by the formula k = gR<SUP>2</SUP>. Show that if the particle started from rest at a distance of 10<SUP>9</SUP> from the earth's centre, then it would reach the earth with a velocity of approximately 11200m/s. (Assume R = 6.4 x 10<SUP>6</SUP>m and g = 9.8 m/s<SUP>2</SUP>)

---I got something around 15000m/s. Also I wasnt sure whether to take the centre of the earth as the 'earth', or to halve the radius and take the surface of the earth as the 'earth'. Either way I was still wrong :/----

EDIT: Solved. Was halving the radius. GG maths retardation

3) A six is scored in a cricket game when the blal is hit over the boundary fence on the full. A ball is hit from O with velocity V = 32m/s at an angle Z to the horizontal and towards the 1 metre high boundary fence 100 metres away.

(a) Show that the ball just clears the boundary when

50000tan<SUP>2</SUP>Z - 102400tanZ +51024 = 0

---I got something which vaguely resembled this but was still a fair ways off. The numbers were generally the same but I was a few trig's short---

Any help would really be appreciated !
</SUP></SUP>
For 3, find the cartesian equation of the ball and then sub in the co-ordinates (100, 1) and that should give you the answer. EDIT: I have checked this, it works - use the identity sec2@ = 1 + tan2@ . I'm guessing for the one, a means acceleration. if it is expressed in terms of x then i don't know why on earth they are giving you values of x with respect to time??

Last edited:

Volarath

HSC
Thanks Rama your a champ.
Trick to 3) was to use that trig identity, and if theres one thing I loathe using, its trig identities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)