sharemarket discussion thread (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
So with the brokerage fees your back to where you started, if not behind. Seriously Stas, get out of the share market. $20 000 is typically cited as a conservative minimum amount of money you should be prepared to invest for shares.
Yes, I've broken even (I'm up a bit, actually) but I know that westpac will go back up in the next few months. I'm quite comfortable with my standing: I meant for WBC to be a short-term investment, but it's going to turn out to be a 3-6 month one. Either way I don't really lose.

If I had more money now, I'd certainly buy some ANZ/Woolies/AGS shares.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
stazi said:
Yes, I've broken even (I'm up a bit, actually) but I know that westpac will go back up in the next few months. I'm quite comfortable with my standing: I meant for WBC to be a short-term investment, but it's going to turn out to be a 3-6 month one. Either way I don't really lose.

If I had more money now, I'd certainly buy some ANZ/Woolies/AGS shares.
i bought woolies and westpac today :D

both for the long term, although honestly i'll be shitting myself if there are too many days like today in the near future.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
tbh in this market it may be better to buy for the short term. a 10% gain in a month is much better than a 15% gain over a year.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
JFK said:
No, you don't.
nah, i spoke to the CEO and she was all like "it'll go up" so I know it's true. Substitute know with predict at high certainty.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
JFK said:
If I had $250,000 capital I would've made ~$70,000 today derivatives trading. :(
do you need 250k for that type of trading, or could you have done something similar with say 25k?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
apparently the grain commodities market is going to go up a shitload due to flooding killing a large part of the US grain sector. It already went up significantly today.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
stazi said:
apparently the grain commodities market is going to go up a shitload due to flooding killing a large part of the US grain sector. It already went up significantly today.
i dont understand why that would make it go up...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
i dont understand why that would make it go up...
Lower supply causes an increase in price, as consumers compete against each other for reduced levels of wheat.

I would think.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
If you think you can take basic pieces of information that everyone has access to and use them to beat the market in short term trading you really are a fool.

Now I know you're not a fool, but you are extremely over confident. Your expectations about your ability to make profits based on one or two trades is akin to a gambler's mentality.
Yes, but I'm saying those things based on how big the problem is vs. how much they rose. The grain price may go up 4-5% over the next week, then drop back down to what it was. That 4-5% is nothing on a 2k investment, but would be significant if you had $100,000 which is what I think a lot of traders will capitalise upon over the next few days.

There is too much information out there for all traders to absorb, you have to hope to find out something first before the rest of the market moves. My prediction with AGS was correct: I found an article on news.com.au. About two days after that article, the price went up by 50% over the next two weeks.

Also, me making predictions doesn't mean that I would go out there and take the gamble. Even if I had $100k, I wouldn't take a punt on Babcock & Brown, for instance. Although they should go up in the medium to long term, they are too risky (esp. when considering their debt ratios). On the other hand, I would punt on ANZ, which at $20/share is fantastic value.

Share trading is gambling, though. Calculated gambling.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
JFK said:
seriously though, just short some SPI 200TM Index Futures

/do not rely on this financial advice or sue me if you fail
don't you need lots of money to short stock. i recall there being high fees for doing so?

Also, I find shorting to be even more like gambling ( if i understand shorting correctly). If you sell short in a week, then you have to sell regardless of the share price a week later, even if you're going to get pwned. If you buy shares 'regularly', then you have the option to hold onto the shares for as long as you want.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
stazi said:
don't you need lots of money to short stock. i recall there being high fees for doing so?

Also, I find shorting to be even more like gambling ( if i understand shorting correctly). If you sell short in a week, then you have to sell regardless of the share price a week later, even if you're going to get pwned. If you buy shares 'regularly', then you have the option to hold onto the shares for as long as you want.
Have you thought of options trading?

Simon Hannes had the right idea. Lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)