sharemarket discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Ragglebomb

HSC
Ragglebomb said:
actually fed reserve probably won't let it happen, which is total bullshit. they'll prob try to organise a bail out package but they need $75 billion by the end of the week, iirc. such inconsistent fucks.

bail out bearn stearns
fuck off lehman bros
bail out AIG
fuck off washington mutual
SMH said:
More than one million Australian superannuation holders can breathe a sigh of relief on the news AIG has been bailed out, even as returns on their retirement investments sink.

The impact on superannuation holders posed by US insurance giant AIG's looming failure appears to have passed after the US Federal Reserve said today the US government would take a majority stake in the company for $US85 billion ($107 billion).
seeeeee, total bssssssssss

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I really don't think AIG, being the largest insurance company in the world, was going to go under. They are a mammoth company, and if they went, it would have been ugly.

The Fed Reserve had to act. I guess Lehman Bros and Washington Mutual just weren't significant enough.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Enteebee said:
Sounds good man, where's your growth mainly coming from?
random small companies lol
i havnt invested in blue chip stocks for ages...
btw today + yesterday combined ive lost $500 =[[[[[[[[[

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
@ givemealollipop: Whoops, BNB down 18% today.

Everything getting hammered today after another 4% fall on Wall st last night. It's times like this that high interest rates are good, bring on the term deposits and bonds.

Out of curiosity, what the fuck happened to FMG over the last 3 months? I always thought they were a promising company but their share price has more than halved over this period.

Last edited:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
MQG is in the $20's now :jaw:
theres something you dont see everyday...

Boxes

Banned
HSC
do you guys think it's worth investing $200 in the stock market?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Recovered slightly in late trade, still fairly shit day though. Glad I'm out of the market at the moment.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
12% loss on AGS today. Lost so much since purchase (nearly 40%). Oh well, was going to hold until 2010, anyway. MQG is incredibly cheap. Huge yield if they keep dividends going at the same rate.

HalcyonSky

HSC
stazi said:
12% loss on AGS today. Lost so much since purchase (nearly 40%). Oh well, was going to hold until 2010, anyway. MQG is incredibly cheap. Huge yield if they keep dividends going at the same rate.
how much did you purchase?

last few days have been horrible for my dad's shares, in particular NAB. Losses of something like 5%, 5%, 0.5%, 5%, then almost 8% today, luckily it bounced back to around 5% this afternoon. His losses are in the thousands.
mine weren't so bad, still made significant losses though on bendigo bank

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
I love this. Mac Group is down by $2!

I think one of the things a lot of people can easily fail to realise is that whilst the share prices of certain company's are being raped, they are still paying awesome dividends.

When we have had an average P/E ratio of around 14, and now its around 8, something is saying that its not a bad time to get in before things correct.

If you're speculating though, i'd be waiting until after 31st of October, because by then all the company's will have had to report, and we will know where all the bad debt is held.

Give it until November and I think we'll see improvement.

EDIT: Not giving financial advice, just my opinion. :D

blue_chameleon

HSC
stazi said:
but the dividend payout could be slashed.
I don't think that's likely given the profitability of a lot of these companies. We saw Mac Group fall by $7 today, just because investors were worried that it had too much debt based off whats happened to the IB's in the US.

It's fear that is determining share prices now, not core business fundamentals. Slashing dividends is just going to provide further disincentive to investors, but this would scare off not only speculators, but long-term investors seeking to derive income from their portfolios.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)