She shouldn't have dressed like a slut I guess (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
actually 'better rights for rape victims' do come at the cost of the rights of (male) rape perpetrators, which is in essence 'stripping rights from men'.

so my question is, why are you a man hater? are you jealous?
haha fuck

casablanca

HSC
actually 'better rights for rape victims' do come at the cost of the rights of (male) rape perpetrators, which is in essence 'stripping rights from men'.

so my question is, why are you a man hater? are you jealous?
Look, I don't condone stripping civil liberties from anyone. But I'm talking generally - making our society more equal for everyone will not negatively impact the male gender on the whole. Now, personally, I would see the rights of rape victims as more important than those of the perpetrators, however obviously I emphatically believe that the justice system should be fair for all. I'm not claiming to have answers in any way; I'm merely trying to point out that SOMETHING needs to change.

And secondly, are you joking? I'm going to hope that last comment is a joke...

I'm not a "man hater", I don't think men should be forced to do anything. However, I guess you could say I am jealous. I am jealous that, because of my gender, from birth I am steps behind my male counterparts. But I'm not a "man hater", and anyone who tells you that this is the definition of feminism is lying and/or severely mistaken.

Subhas Bose

Banned
HSC
inside of us we both know you belong with victor
you're part of his work the thing that keeps his going
that plane leaves the ground you know you'll regret it
maybe not today
maybe not tomorrow
but soon for the rest of your life
but what about us
we'll always have paris

casablanca

HSC
Might this be merely an indication of how interested and/or qualified (as deemed by those electing them in the case of MPs) the majority of women are compared to men in these fields?
If it was 50/50 why would that be desirable if there were men who had more experience and related skills to these areas. What if there were more women with experience and skills related to these areas 50/50 wouldn't be fair then either.
I do agree with you there, but I don't think you're getting my whole point. Look, I don't think we should just mandate that everything should be 50/50. That would be stupid, inefficient and counter-productive, as women would be given roles merely based on their gender, and men would be discriminated against - something counter-intuitive to feminism. What I'm saying is that we need to realise that our society is still heavily male-centric. Mentoring programmes for women in business (particularly middle management where many women are lost), and support for women who do want to go into politics are important. Moreover, the culture of judging women on their looks and gender, rather than ability, needs to go.

If by structure of society you mean women are the ones who get pregnant shoot out kids, and as a result are more likely to take time off or go into part time work following this (resulting in less pay) to raise them than their male counterparts then sure.
I'm not suggesting that having kids is a reason to blame females for anything but the fact remains that in doing so $$$ are (usually) sacrificed.
Again, I agree with your statements, and what I'm saying is that (again) we need a social shift. I'm not a fan of affirmative action, personally. What I'm saying is that social norms of parenthood need to change. Fathers need to be more involved with childcare in the early stages of infancy. This is not me blaming the fathers, just to be clear. This is me blaming the fact that it is harder for men to take paternity leave, in terms of social stigma and norms. We need to have more flexible workplaces for parents, whether it be cheaper and more accessible childcare or more flexible working hours and locations. It needs to be easier for BOTH parents to be involved with parenting and to get back into the workforce, not too far (if at all) behind their childless colleagues.

Also, sorry that this has kind of wandered off the topic of the original thread, but I do think that it all is linked.

HSC
Uni Grad
I do agree with you there, but I don't think you're getting my whole point. Look, I don't think we should just mandate that everything should be 50/50. That would be stupid, inefficient and counter-productive, as women would be given roles merely based on their gender, and men would be discriminated against - something counter-intuitive to feminism. What I'm saying is that we need to realise that our society is still heavily male-centric. Mentoring programmes for women in business (particularly middle management where many women are lost), and support for women who do want to go into politics are important. Moreover, the culture of judging women on their looks and gender, rather than ability, needs to go.
That's cool I have no reason to constest that at all, though not sure how much looks affect females in a professional sense (but I guess that's not a huge point really).

Again, I agree with your statements, and what I'm saying is that (again) we need a social shift. I'm not a fan of affirmative action, personally. What I'm saying is that social norms of parenthood need to change. Fathers need to be more involved with childcare in the early stages of infancy. This is not me blaming the fathers, just to be clear. This is me blaming the fact that it is harder for men to take paternity leave, in terms of social stigma and norms. We need to have more flexible workplaces for parents, whether it be cheaper and more accessible childcare or more flexible working hours and locations. It needs to be easier for BOTH parents to be involved with parenting and to get back into the workforce, not too far (if at all) behind their childless colleagues.

Also, sorry that this has kind of wandered off the topic of the original thread, but I do think that it all is linked.
Idk to what extent the difficulty of father's taking paternity leave affects it/exists (not doubting just saying I have no idea), but yes if there are difficulties in this area I'd advocate change to make it so either party is free to do the majority of raising duties as mutually agreed upon by the parents, in the fairly likely case it isn't shared equally.

But ye I pretty much agree.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
okay so instead of raging I'm going to address a brain-dead left feminist like a human being

This case just shows how badly rape is dealt with in our society. I realise people have already said this, but rape is one of the few crimes in which the victim can be blamed. Obviously in the justice system everyone should have the right to a fair trial, and thus victims do need to present evidence and be questioned. However, it is appalling that in rape cases, victims' sexual history is called into question.
I agree that this is incredibly stupid, but so is your assumption that this is how every single person deals with a rape case. The people that do assess such things in this way are often uneducated or of a very low level of education or are devoutly religious. These are usually intertwined.

Furthermore, all this crap about women having equality/being too weak/not taking opportunities/any other argument you can find to excuse sexist comments is bullshit. There is still gender inequality, not just throughout the world, but in Australia: in Australia only 13% of ASX 200 board members are women; 30% of MPs in Australia are women; there is still a pay gap between men and women (although discrimination on the basis of sex is illegal, the structure of society ensures women earn significantly less than men). This is not because women are too weak, or are not motivated.
No there is really a negligible gap between men and women in this country in both business and politics. Just because there is a lower representation within a specific group you like to cherry pick to support your agenda doesn't mean anything at all. I'm sure there are thousands of women willing to work for a several million dollar salary, but they are not qualified enough according to the people who appoint them there. The same goes for politics. This has nothing to do with "social stigma" when there are actually still women (and even homosexual women) being appointed to the highest positions available. We have a female Prime Minister. If this doesn't tell you that we've moved a fuckload in the right direction when leaders of conservative parties are willing to appoint women at their head, I don't know what does.

Finally, women (and men) who campaign for better rights for rape victims, and equality for women overall are not man haters. We don't want to strip rights from men - just because one group becomes more equal doesn't make everyone else less equal.
That's not entirely true. There are many women such as yourself (assuming you're a woman) that are more than happy to give women extra privilege based purely on gender, which is discrimination, especially if higher qualified men would be passed up for a "woman only" position. There are ministers who propose quotas for women in specific fields and levels of employment, which is fucking horseshit. This doesn't assist women, it degrades them.
I'm not a "man hater", I don't think men should be forced to do anything. However, I guess you could say I am jealous. I am jealous that, because of my gender, from birth I am steps behind my male counterparts.
That's a total fabrication and you should be ashamed of yourself for believing it.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
yeah it fucking does, quotas are disgustingly degrading for any sane human being with an ounce of self respect

"here have a job because you're too much of a terrible person to get it through legitimate means"

Subhas Bose

Banned
HSC
thats not actually what people who advocate affirmative action believe though

quotas are most certainly not "degrading" for people who believe the chain of logic underlying them

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

quotas are most certainly not "degrading" for people who believe the chain of logic underlying them
golden rule of life

The intentions of goverment policy are almost always never the outcome

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

yes I know this but that's not what I'm addressing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)