Should Australia grow its population to 100 million? (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Re: Should Australia grow it's population to 100 million?

Australia should continue to upgrade it's infrastructure in order to maintain the rising population. Whilst monitoring the population. Trying to alter a population will always has a negative effect. So far we've been doing fine, but there is a concern in the immediate future with energy, employment and water shortages. These are areas the government will have to deal with after the Howard government's lack of foresight in dealing with these necessary upgrades even with huge surpluses from the resource boom and globalisation/trade.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I think population control should be culturally sustainable, as well as physically:
No more Islams; theyre rude and hate our guts.
Limited Chinese; theyre crafty and capable of creating strong local China-bubbles to counter our conforming pressures

At heart of all this, we're too selfish:
Mandatory 2 years in army once turn 18
Mandatory community service component of schooling
Abolish no-fault divorce

We're also disconnected with our land, therefore less willing to be protective of it:
Reconciliation
Mandatory sporting schemes, including bushwalking expeditions

Further the culture of death is destroying our civilization:
Outlaw contraceptives

From all this will flow a cohesive community of Australians. We will be poorer in monies for destroying multiculturalism but richer in spirit and home-grown babies

08er

HSC

Yes the population should grow to 100 million. It would be good for business owners and consumers (see hong kong for example - where almost every store is packed) however the environment will probably deteriorate (but preservation techniques may be improved in the future)

georgefren

HSC

We've got more than enough room for 100 million. Sure, a lot of that is desert, but theres still a fuckload of unused good land around the coast and in the country.

Nox789

HSC

Ok 20-100in around 90 yrs mmmm. ok so how are goin to be able to suport theese ppl and that an absolute lot of infestructure that needs to be done.
now a lil off the topic why dont we get every person in the world give them half an acre of land in australia, that means the rest of the worlds enviroment improve's. but i supose your thinking about growthe and haven the land. well if every 1 in the world lived here, we would still have half of QLD left.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

08er said:
Yes the population should grow to 100 million. It would be good for business owners and consumers (see hong kong for example - where almost every store is packed) however the environment will probably deteriorate (but preservation techniques may be improved in the future)
i'll be the first to leave if that happens, lol

CIV1501

Banned
HSC

man there are some dumb cunts getting around. We barely have the infrastructure and resources to support the current population, let alone supporting it with any sort of sustainability. fucking 08ers

samwell

HSC

if the growth rate would be like Germany which is almost 0% or less it would be cool. 100 million is unsustainable to the environment and to the well being of the economy. global warmin is already straining Australia's food growin capacity meaning should the population spike to 100million we would have to spend heaps on imports plus increase our reliance to petroleum and fossil fuels. Unless Australia changes rapidly 100million pple will be unsustainable. Probably a max of 50million pple

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC

we cant even fucking handle 20 million and shit cunt politicians want to over flow this country.

srsly. get a proper job.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

This is an extremely complex question and I'm the first to admit I have no idea what population this country can comfortably sustain.

I love how people are just pulling figures out of the air.
My figure of 8 million came from Jared Diamond, who got it quoting Tim Flannery, who probs got it from some hectic enviro demographer. Most scientifically rigorous answer.

Economists don't like this answer.

Does anyone have any credible scientific evidence that shows approximately what population this country could sustain?
The above book 'collapse' by Jared Diamond has a great chapter all about Australia and it's uniquely perilous environmental position.

It's really only environmental factors that will limit our capacity to support more population in the long run.
Exactly. But environment and the economy can't be separated, because you start to run into limits for food production and looming global water crises etc... and then you've got water/energy/land demands of residential vs. commercial/industrial sector.

Lex152

HSC

I think population control should be culturally sustainable, as well as physically:
Limited Chinese; theyre crafty and capable of creating strong local China-bubbles to counter our conforming pressures

Abolish no-fault divorce

We're also disconnected with our land, therefore less willing to be protective of it:
Reconciliation

Outlaw contraceptives

From all this will flow a cohesive community of Australians. We will be poorer in monies for destroying multiculturalism but richer in spirit and home-grown babies

I'll agree that there has been some cultural conflict arisen by different cultures, but why are islams and chinese animals and what makes us human?
I know you didn't say that, but you trying to control certain aspects of the global population but not ourselves.

Additionally, we farm every other species, sometimes to the point of extinction. No I am not using this to suggest we farm ourselves, just that we show some constraint. Do you believe we fully understand every ecological process? What if we destabilise an important ecological process, and due to population momentum we are unable to take it back?
Examples: Climate Change
GM food (I know GM food is extensively tested, but you saw the ramifications from the scarce rice was it last year or the year before? That kind of pressure could not be contained if it happened globally).

I would support your army claim, if the army was extensively aid and reconstruction. There is no way in hell I'm going to Iraq or Afghanistan. And besides your sending citizens off to war who cannot hold the government responsible, controlling youth much?

Community service I'll agree with, again I think choice would need to be factored in...

Anything mandatory is doomed to fail. There are kinds with all sorts of problems, including hermophilia, or what happens if your sick?
Reconciliation won't breed a connection to the land, dictionary.com says the definition is to make compatible...

And I hardly see divorce and a ban on conceptives helping, isn't that futher treating people like animals?

Lastly I disagree with your final statement, GDP does not represent how wealthy a country is but how much of their system has been monetised. We need to move away from this preconception.

Lex152

HSC

Infrastructure limits our society through the time frame of expansion. Even Indian or Japanese trains have a maximum capacity. We can only build so many dams, and even the land to build on is limited. To improve instructure takes time, the constraint which you realised by then excused.

I also believe that our current infrastructure is not only inadequete but fails our environment (no evidence, personal belief). THe road disgust me, 6 freakin lanes? more? something is wrong...

On the "politicians are cunts" if you don't like them then get politically involved, it's the only way to change things.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC

lol "why are islams and chinese animals?"

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC

Abolish no-fault divorce

Reconciliation

Outlaw contraceptives

1. Agree with the no Islam policy
2. Agree with the no/less Asian policy
3. Agree with compulsary military service however only for 1 year
4. Agree with mandotory sporting throughout primary and high school
5. Disagree with mandatory community service (make the fucking prisoners do it)
6. Agree with the abolishment of no-fault divorce (getting married these days is like buying an ice-cream)
7. Disagree with reconciliation (we came, we saw, we conquered -Get the fuck over it)
8. Strongly disagree on the outlawing of contraceptives (Last thing we need is the streets to be packed with street children with bogan parents)

Ps. I'm in no way religious

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

1. Agree with the no Islam policy
2. Agree with the no/less Asian policy
3. Agree with compulsary military service however only for 1 year
4. Agree with mandotory sporting throughout primary and high school
5. Disagree with mandatory community service (make the fucking prisoners do it)
6. Agree with the abolishment of no-fault divorce (getting married these days is like buying an ice-cream)
7. Disagree with reconciliation (we came, we saw, we conquered -Get the fuck over it)
8. Strongly disagree on the outlawing of contraceptives (Last thing we need is the streets to be packed with street children with bogan parents)

Ps. I'm in no way religious
You're a disgusting person, go post on stormfront about it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

Oh Iron I get the feeling that your talents may be being wasted here...

For what it's worth I think 8-12 million is well below our support level - case in point current population of 21million.

However as far as postulating what population we could support I'll leave that to experts (preferrably of the economist bent). So without speculating on an actual number what are the limitations we face:
-Infrastructure: as pointed out 1.5% per annum is hardly an impossible speed to match - however the management of infrastructure spending to date has been woeful.
-Space: We are a large country. Largely uninhabitable though. Ergo we need to increase our population density. We need Sydney to stop expanding out and start going up.
-Environment: obviously some indutries need to go, prices need to go up on some goods. But with a combination of science and good planning no reason it couldn't happen.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

However as far as postulating what population we could support I'll leave that to experts (preferrably of the economist bent).
Why would you trust them over a scientist? Economists don't tend to look at the longterm to the extent scientists do...

Sustainability for all of time is the game we're playing here.

Lex152

HSC

My Islam/Asian comment was directed at the fact that it was said that we should not enforce things onto humans, however the poster which trying to force things on specific minority groups.
I consider everyone human beings :D

On the economists bent thingo; I believe that is a cultural/political skew. With economics you need to look short-median term because conditions change so dramatically over time (it's not about assessing universal truths/laws).
Also you have things like retirement, the sick, disabled, ect. that need to be factored in to be provided for as society gears towards a smaller population (the elderly being the biggest problem, aka baby boomers).

But agri-science/agri-economists, along with climatologists, nutritienists, and some socio-economists would be the best team to analysis the situation. I know you could list a lot more, but the more you include the more authortarian that new society will be. But in the end to disclude economists is a bad thing as lon as you can include the right ones.

КГБ

Banned
HSC

oh great. i should be kicked out of this country because im an Islam.

watch out iron, i might blow you up.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

oh great. i should be kicked out of this country because im an Islam.

watch out iron, i might blow you up.
*This user is currently being tracked by the AFP.*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)