Should Australia Host a Football (Soccer) World Cup in the Next 12 Years? (1 Viewer)

World Cup in under 12 years, or not?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NoName91

HSC
Pros:
Obviously brings money into the economy during and after the event
A greater focus on the sport in Australia
We are currently as high in the world rankings as we have ever been, and a world cup bid will be a sign of our confidence for the future of the sport here

Cons:
The cost involved to have an adequate amount of stadiums with the minimum capacity (which we currently don't)
Do we deserve it with just one quarter final position being our best result?
The possibility of interrupting the NRL and maybe the AFL season
Should Kevin Rudd focus on other things?

What do we think?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Pros:
We are currently as high in the world rankings as we have ever been, and a world cup bid will be a sign of our confidence for the future of the sport here

Cons:
The cost involved to have an adequate amount of stadiums with the minimum capacity (which we currently don't)

What do we think?
Our best result was round of 16.

I say yes cause I wanna see a world class football match live for once.

acevipa

HSC
Pros:

Cons:

What do we think?

Why would you care about NRL and AFL season. The FIFA World Cup is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Not to mention how much money it would bring to Australia's economy. However, 2018 WC will probably go back to Europe considering that 2010 is in South Africa, and 2014 is in Brazil. So they probably want to bring it back to Europe.

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
I wish Australia (Sydney) would, but I honestly don't think we have the appropriate infrastructure to make it a good one. I don't have confidence that we have the money to build it in time either.

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
Why not? I think Australia should host cricket World Cup too in coming years.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
the FIFA world cup is the greatest show on earth.

Pros:
australia has been as high as no. 14 in the world. they are currently no. 23 according to the FIFA rankings.

pman

Banned
HSC
we were beaten by the team that went on to win last time and it almost went to extra time, they only won cos they got a penalty they shouldn't have....

q.e.d, we are the best team in the world!!!!

on a more serious note, it would be awesome to host the world cup

LordPc

HSC
it might be a bit soon. i dont know why south africa was picked for 2010, but id imagine that the emergence of african nations had an impact, maybe a bit of pity too, cant have europe and south america hogging it all.

but i think australia might be perceived as being too young. 2006 was our first appearance in years. and the A-league is still pretty meh. maybe we can host it in 16 years

Villa94

HSC
It would be good I think. I hate the A-League but like the EPL and watching those world-class players in real life would be great. But it would interrupt the NRL and AFL who would oppose it.

twistedrebel

HSC
it might be a bit soon. i dont know why south africa was picked for 2010, but id imagine that the emergence of african nations had an impact, maybe a bit of pity too, cant have europe and south america hogging it all.

but i think australia might be perceived as being too young. 2006 was our first appearance in years. and the A-league is still pretty meh. maybe we can host it in 16 years
europe hoggs it, brazil 2014 is first time going to South america.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
europe hoggs it, brazil 2014 is first time going to South america.
What are you talking about? A South American Country hosted the first ever World Cup (Uruguay 1930), then Brazil in 1950, Chile in 1962, and Argentina in 1978. This is the fifth time it's being played in South America.

It will go to Australia in 2018-2022 as it is the only continent that's a part of FIFA not to have hosted it. Asia got it in 2002 (first time), then went back to Europe in 2006, Africa got it for the first time in 2010, then to South America for the first time in 32 years. Then it will most likely go back to Europe in 2018 and Australia will receive it in 2022.

HSC
What are you talking about? A South American Country hosted the first ever World Cup (Uruguay 1930), then Brazil in 1950, Chile in 1962, and Argentina in 1978. This is the fifth time it's being played in South America.

It will go to Australia in 2018-2022 as it is the only continent that's a part of FIFA not to have hosted it. Asia got it in 2002 (first time), then went back to Europe in 2006, Africa got it for the first time in 2010, then to South America for the first time in 32 years. Then it will most likely go back to Europe in 2018 and Australia will receive it in 2022.
South Africa*

dombro

HSC
My understanding was that if the Football Australia (or whatever they are now) were to host, they would be monopolising the premier sporting venues in the country not only for the duration of the event, but for a couple of months preceding so that grounds can be prepared etc.

Whilst soccer is making massive steps in popularity (has been one of the biggest sports for kids for years, and numbers have skyrocketed since the Australian World Cup appearance), you can't disrupt the AFL and NRL to run the Cup.

Even if the Gov. were to support the bid (which Captain Krudd appears to be indicating he would), the amount the the AFL / NRL would need to be compensated would be huge. Furthermore, if there's money to spend bidding for sporting events such as a World Cup, couldn't those funds be directed where needed - say hospitals??

ZaraKu

HSC
Who cares if it disrupts the NRL and AFL seasons... oh wait the bogans do.
I'm 1000% for a FIFA world cup here, and at last look, Australia was ranked 19th in the world.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
My understanding was that if the Football Australia (or whatever they are now) were to host, they would be monopolising the premier sporting venues in the country not only for the duration of the event, but for a couple of months preceding so that grounds can be prepared etc.

Whilst soccer is making massive steps in popularity (has been one of the biggest sports for kids for years, and numbers have skyrocketed since the Australian World Cup appearance), you can't disrupt the AFL and NRL to run the Cup.

Even if the Gov. were to support the bid (which Captain Krudd appears to be indicating he would), the amount the the AFL / NRL would need to be compensated would be huge. Furthermore, if there's money to spend bidding for sporting events such as a World Cup, couldn't those funds be directed where needed - say hospitals??
wtfs with throwing the word bogan around so lightly? wow apparently everyones a bogan...wtf

dombro

HSC
Who cares if it disrupts the NRL and AFL seasons... oh wait the bogans do.
I'm 1000% for a FIFA world cup here, and at last look, Australia was ranked 19th in the world.
AFL and NRL are the top sports in Australia at the moment. Not soccer. It's growing, but its not up there yet, and until it is, we can't justify paying millions to host the World Cup. They are multi-million dollar industries, with a lot of people and a lot of money invested in them. Shutting them down for a Soccer World Cup doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind soccer, played it for years, but it doesn't have the same passion and intensity behind it in Australia as either the AFL or NRL. And yes, Australia is ranked 19th in the world - but until the sport grows in comparative popularity (which it is slowly heading towards) this shouldn't even be up for discussion.

As for being just 'bogans', that's crap. The people of Australia obviously love the games, otherwise they wouldn't still be played. AFL Grand Final had something like 2.7 million viewers - surely they can't all be 'bogans'??

Again, being business industries means that businesses have a vested interest in the comps running (advertisers, suppliers, club sponsers). If they're involved in business at that level, obviously they hope to be attracting more then just 'bogans'. How do you compensate for any losses sponsers sustain as a result of hosting the World Cup??

Like I said, doesn't make sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)