Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
shakespeare transcends time.
despite being written so long ago, the plays still reflect upon todays society.

you should least learn to appreciate that.

selablad

HSC
Jess007 said:
english should be compulsory.... not the stupid stupid topics we do though... gramma and all that stuff should still be compulsory..but other stuff...shit :)
sonyaleeisapixi said:
its called conceptual learning. you learn skills through concepts such as 'in the wild', 'journeys', 'telling the truth', etc.
do you know how much more boring english would be if it wasnt conceptual?
I don't want to spend year 11 and 12 learning about grammar, I agree with sonyaleeisapixi, it would be incredibly boring, and also pointless for those students who actually can speak English properly...

I don't get that random "journeys" stuff you are always talking about, though...oh well, I don't have to do it :D

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:

lol ur dum d language dun even wurk in 2dayz society n we hav diffrnint context so der idealz dun even wurk. also hu carez if sum ideas r universal.. u dun need them in lyf

Muz4PM

HSC
Rhanoct said:
lol ur dum d language dun even wurk in 2dayz society n we hav diffrnint context so der idealz dun even wurk. also hu carez if sum ideas r universal.. u dun need them in lyf
Will that be translated into something legible sometime soon?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Rhanoct said:

err, ok, im going to respond to a 3unit english student that is barely coherent. weird.

different context, yes. in a sense im talking in the modernist perpsective, by saying despite this time lapse, his meaning transcends the barriers of changing context. love, hatred, greed, revenge, death, fear. even today, despite the lapse, we connect to shakespeare because he reveals aspects of human nature we understand or desire to understand.

yellow7

XD
HSC
if i dont hit at least a 95 uai, it is a direct result of my english mark. people that are not maths people dont have to study maths. im 100% australian, but the english course just does not interest me one bit. shouldnt i be able to drop it? double standards. matsh will get you further than english. (real world applications)

note- not getting 95+ will also be as a result of my school's incompetencies. 'hey, lets force our top student to drop a subject he is currently getting 96% in'

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
I think it should be compulsary, but the course should be altered so it's not all text-based. There needs to be some basic skills in there as there are people graduating without understanding the difference between "they're" and "there," or knowing how to construct a convincing argument.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
yellow7 said:
note- not getting 95+ will also be as a result of my school's incompetencies. 'hey, lets force our top student to drop a subject he is currently getting 96% in'
With business studies (I gathered from your sig) usually your 96% will be reduced significantly (cause all the year 11 students accelerating in the course are also getting 96%, trust me on this.) It will not get you your 95+ UAI.
What you're getting in English is ok. Just don't do what a kid in my yeargroup did and boycott the HSC English Exams (walked out as soon as the first hour was up, and turned in a blank paper.)

sonyaleeisapixi said:
err, ok, im going to respond to a 3unit english student that is barely coherent. weird.
Coherence does not mean what you think it does.

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:

You're forgetting that Shakespeare was a hack.

Sangfroid

HSC
As it's part of an Australian (yes, a mostly English-speaking country regardless of its multiculturalism) education course, I would consider that English should be a core subject.

Cerry

HSC
Rhanoct said:
And it's people like you who make me think that English needs to be compulsory. Language "dun even wurk in 2dayz society" because retards like you are too lazy to speak/write it properly, and turn it into the bastardised langauge it is now.
Seriously, you're doing 3 unit English?

kick

HSC
N/A
The suggestion is that english shouldn't be part of the UAI, then what motivation will student have in completing the subjet????? just becase you don't like it doesn't mean it's not important!!!! and it helps with other subjects even if you don't notice it at the moment, you will later!!!

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
English should be compulsory as English accentuates critical thinking and encourages higher level of essay writings.

Having said that, English does not have to be part of our UAI. It should be compulsory as a subject but we shouldn't hold any obligation to count it as our UAI.
It also encourages the ability to lie sometimes.

ccc123

HSC
Muz4PM said:
Will that be translated into something legible sometime soon?

Cerry said:
And it's people like you who make me think that English needs to be compulsory. Language "dun even wurk in 2dayz society" because retards like you are too lazy to speak/write it properly, and turn it into the bastardised langauge it is now.
Seriously, you're doing 3 unit English??
Far out morons. Can't you see Rhanoct wasn't being serious? At least I don't think he was :p

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Hell no
English is the only subject I reckon that'll drag me down
I wouldn't do English if it wasn't compulsory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)