should i become a lawyer? (1 Viewer)

niv.b

HSC
so from the time i was in year 7, ive honestly felt like being a lawyer is probably a profession that would work for me the best. Its not neccessarily because im good at reading or english, but i think i would like a high pressure, challenging work system in place for me. However, over the past few days, one of my friends told me that its getting really hard to become a lwayer in syd, and that someone she personally knows who has an undergraduate in law is struggling hard to find a job and has had to become a teacher. After she said that, it kind of changed my view i guess and i thought that maybe i should just pursue a career in a science course instead. My parents told me if i wanted to i could try and apply a science course, write UCAT, etc but that sticking to law is the best goal for me ultimately and that lawyers are needed for any comapny. so now im confused and have no idea what to do and i just want to know others opinions on it. if you wanna know my subjects for year 11:

eng ext 1
math adv
chem
bio
mod history
legal studies

liamkk112

HSC
so from the time i was in year 7, ive honestly felt like being a lawyer is probably a profession that would work for me the best. Its not neccessarily because im good at reading or english, but i think i would like a high pressure, challenging work system in place for me. However, over the past few days, one of my friends told me that its getting really hard to become a lwayer in syd, and that someone she personally knows who has an undergraduate in law is struggling hard to find a job and has had to become a teacher. After she said that, it kind of changed my view i guess and i thought that maybe i should just pursue a career in a science course instead. My parents told me if i wanted to i could try and apply a science course, write UCAT, etc but that sticking to law is the best goal for me ultimately and that lawyers are needed for any comapny. so now im confused and have no idea what to do and i just want to know others opinions on it. if you wanna know my subjects for year 11:

eng ext 1
math adv
chem
bio
mod history
legal studies
there’s a ton of jobs in law and it’s a growing industry, and it’s definetly not harder than getting a job as an undergrad science major, usually if u want to work in science postgrad is a good idea as it opens up a lot more opportunities. if u are wanting to study law and are passionate about it, i don’t see why you wouldn’t study law, there will be plenty of opportunities for you if you’re motivated

temporarylol

HSC
Uni Grad

eng ext 1
math adv
chem
bio
mod history
legal studies
you could just watch suits and then make a decision?

enoilgam

HSC

eng ext 1
math adv
chem
bio
mod history
legal studies
Finally, someone who gets it. When it comes to careers, so many people look at their preferred subjects when deciding a job, as opposed to the exact nature of what a profession does day in day out. As you have said, law is a high pressure environment and it can be very demanding, especially at a commercial firm (i.e. Clayton Utz, Ashurst etc). Id encourage you to learn more about the profession itself, especially the different practice areas and things like billable hours.

With law, it isnt too difficult to break into, however you will need good grades (Id be gunning for a Distinction average) and extra-curriculars. Id also work hard on developing strong interpersonal skills - law firms don't want book smart people who cant hold a conversation. A large part of the job is client interaction so you really need to have good social skills.

Judging by your post you seem to have your head screwed on and know what you want (a rarity for a High School Student). I say go for it.

enchantedivory27

HSC
Finally, someone who gets it. When it comes to careers, so many people look at their preferred subjects when deciding a job, as opposed to the exact nature of what a profession does day in day out. As you have said, law is a high pressure environment and it can be very demanding, especially at a commercial firm (i.e. Clayton Utz, Ashurst etc). Id encourage you to learn more about the profession itself, especially the different practice areas and things like billable hours.

With law, it isnt too difficult to break into, however you will need good grades (Id be gunning for a Distinction average) and extra-curriculars. Id also work hard on developing strong interpersonal skills - law firms don't want book smart people who cant hold a conversation. A large part of the job is client interaction so you really need to have good social skills.

Judging by your post you seem to have your head screwed on and know what you want (a rarity for a High School Student). I say go for it.
agree with this, "nivb" you should go for it you sound very dedicated and ambitious. im also not sure if i actually want to practice law either im in year 12 now, but do love the demand and hard work needed for it i like being challenged academically its rewarding so i do want a job that does that. i want to do law and journalism degree my two passions right now still have time its a long degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)