Should i bother? (1 Viewer)

applebeer12

HSC
Hi,

Its now the trials, and my 2 unit maths marks are really really really bad. Like disgusting bad, mainly because i didn't try, i have no excuse.
My subjects are as follows: Ancient history: c+
English stanard: B
mathematics: D
Food technology: B+
Physics: c+

I can't tell you my ranks at the moment, however as you can see most are very average marks. I'm just aiming for a 70 ATAR as a personal goal, nothing else, the course i want is ridiculously high and i accept that im going to need to retry next year in some sort of pathways. I was wondering if this is even possible? Should i even try anymore? Maths is really messing me over, and i failed the TRIALS exam and almost every other maths assessment given. Should i put in my best for the remaining subjects and forget about math? Should i even bother in the HSC for math?

Thanks guys

si2136

HSC
N/A
First of all, what course are you aiming for? You can always repeat year 12 or transfer to your course.

applebeer12

HSC
Engineering, i know it sounds funny with my math mark being horrific, and my physics mark being avg as hell. I understand i can get there with 1 more years work, but as for my personal goal of 70, is it worth putting the time this year?

Orwell

HSC
Yes dude. It contributes to your overall final ATAR because you only have ten units.

Also, there's no benefit in slowing down now. Just keep at it.

applebeer12

HSC
I guess i can keep trying, why not right? sometimes i wish i could just go straight to that pathway course right now

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Hey :) Don't give up! I'm in the same situation as you being terrible at a particular subject and wanting to give up. Relatively, my physics mark and rank is disgusting, I wish I could smash every assessment with an 80% +. But that's not the case, I don't even think you needed to make this post - YOU MUST, BY ALL MEANS, DO THE VERY BEST YOU CAN! NO MATTER HOW HARD AND DIFFICULT THE SUBJECT IS!

Now with how, I suggest you implement an analysis of what areas you are good at in 2U, what areas are iffy and what areas are completely done for (I also recommend looking at a paper to see which questions correlate within the paper and the amount of marks). I do not know how much time you have, but I recommend not studying for the areas you are good at (it's a complete waste of time) and to try brush up on iffy areas. For areas you don't get at all from point 0, just leave it behind (unless you have the time, then flip through the textbook and "rote" the methods in examples). Hopefully this method will help you pick up a few more marks rather than completely not knowing anything from where you started.

baktiar77

HSC
Don't give up man. HSC is a group effort, if you have a small cohort there is possibility of marks scaling down especially for those that are in mid-last ranks (happened to my school in physics last year).

And my advice for 2U is practice, practice. Trust me I was in your boat last year coming around ranked 50th out of 82 before the trials with constant marks in the 50s~60s but I was able to smash the trials and HSC by going through the Cambridge and Past Papers (just avoid Sami El Horsi)and ended up with a 92 final mark- 94 in HSC; which was dragged down by my assessment ranks.

HSC
I know someone who was in your situation as well. She was literally failing math (30-40%) and was ranked last in her grade. She didn't understand the concepts and was not bothered for it. And then one day, it just hit her that in order to get a good ATAR, she must get a band 6 in math, and so she would do a past paper every day. She ended up getting 1st in state for Mathematics :) just shows that hard work can go a long way! I wish you the best of luck! Seriously, get a tutor if you have to!!

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hang in there applebeer12 you're not the only one struggling :) Just remember there's only a few months left and you have your LAST internal assessment. Give it your best and I'm sure you'll feel a lot better at the end

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't give up!

HSC Externals still count for 50% of your marks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)