Should I drop Biology or Modern History for Yr12? (1 Viewer)

Mathislife

HSC
I am going into Yr12 next term and I am currently faced with this dilemma. The subjects I know I'm definitely doing are Physics, Math Ex2, Ex1, Advanced, and English Advanced.

I usually enjoy history but my teacher and class are so bad to the extent that I no longer enjoy lessons. I do better in history than biology but I'm worried that as it gets harder, the consequences of having terrible lessons will become apparent and I'll struggle. For biology, I have a good teacher and class but I find it rather dull the majority of the time. I still do well in it, but I struggle at making study notes that aren't a copy-and-paste of the important information in the textbook (I find it is significantly easier to make study notes that are my own in history). Also, my memory is not the best and I'm concerned that if I don't enjoy biology in yr12, it will cost me. I also write pretty slowly so I'm concerned it will make it difficult for me to cope with the requirements in history. Yes I know, quality over quantity but in order to have quality, you must also have a sufficient quantity. Also, I'm not sure how capable I am in doing essay questions on the spot (although I haven't been exposed to them too much so I can't say this with certainty).

In summary,

Current reasons for doing Modern History:
-I enjoy it a bit more than Biology (as of now)
-Easier and less summary notes needed
-I do better in it
-Will help with English (I assume)
-I don't need to remember as much

Current reasons for doing Biology
-You don't have to write as much during an examination (I write slowly)
-The questions are easier
-Good teacher, unlike in history
-Will help with answering Physics questions unrelated to math (I assume as they appear to have a similar style)
-Much more straight forward in knowing what you need to know
-More relevant to careers I'm interested in (not significantly though)

Please let me know your opinions (thank you in advance).

Last edited:

carrotontheground

HSC
Well hello there,

I had the same dilemma as you at the start of this year. Biology, for me, was the easier subject and had a more doable workload. Even so, the ineffectiveness of the teacher's teaching methods meant that I solely had to learn everything at home and the work started to pile up. For Modern, I was doing better at it, but the workload got progressively larger, but was manageable as I had a very good teacher. I wouldn't say I necessarily love the subject, but a good teacher will make the course easier.

If you really prefer Modern as a course even with a bad teacher and class, you need to have to have an effective home study regime as it is a high content course. The nature of the exams also mean that you have to learn to write faster or you won't get all your ideas down on the page.

I think all your positives for Biology outweigh that of Modern even though you like the latter course more. A good teacher will drastically maximise class time learning and minimise home study. It will also provide you with an adequate mentor to help when you are unsure of content. Alternatively, if it's more relevant to the careers you want to do, I'd say to keep it as it may be helpful in the future.

carrotontheground

HSC
You're welcome. If you need more help it may be beneficial to talk to your year adviser or the head teachers of the relevant faculties. Sometimes they can help you make up your mind.

Mathislife

HSC
But equally it divides your attention between two subjects and as a result, you are actually more likely to stuff up in both. Plus, none of them are hard so it's not like I'll stuff up.

Flop21

HSC
Do biology.

It's interesting and fun. Why study the past when you could study the now.

Who cares if you copy paste textbook notes, most of the time I copy other people's notes. Why reinvent the wheel? You just gotta go through them, make sure you understand them, then rote learn some basic points for each dotpoint, then BAM you're pretty much done.

A bad teacher will make you hate any subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)