Should I drop down from 2 unit maths to general maths?. (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys
im currently in year 12 and im kinda depressed and worried about my first hsc maths school assessment result, that counts towards HSC where i got 34 or either 38%,im not really sure but i got 30 something percent and im not sure if i should drop down to gen maths. im planning to go to uni after i graduated high school and do a course on being a designer, e.g industrial designer, but i dont know if i can make it in. i currently do standard english, 2 unit maths, biology, business studies and visual arts. i need and i want at least 75 to 80 atar to get into the course and uni i want. 70 atar ill still be happy. i have a hobby though on visual arts so im sure i can do well in that, but im afraid 2u maths is going to pull me down. and for other subjects i do, im about average in marks. any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks.:eek:

Last edited:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate got 45% in 2unit. Dropped down to Gen got 92% - pulled his ATAR so far up than the 45%.

That speaks for itself. Before you do this though, can your gurantee you will get at least 75+ in Gen?

astroman

HSC
But given how OP's marks aren't that great, it'd be difficult to improve upon them and actually attain a decent rank. Also, you certainly don't need 2u maths for industrial design; if anything, it requires visual arts (and English?).
industrial design needs trig

HSC
so you guys saying that if i drop down i have to guarantee to get 75% or over in every exam? my answer is i think i can, but it is just that i understand the work in 2u but when exams comes my school tends throw in hard questions that i struggle quite abit with. ill will do harder questions for each topic, but do u guys think is worth it or not?. i mean, im going for desinger in the future, does it require 2u maths?. part of me say i should stay in 2u and the other part say i should not stay. 50 50.

HSC
tbh with you guys, i have asian parents, they would not let me drop maths, and plus i already have 10 units which is minimum for atar and hsc, i dont feel like doing gen maths, i have this feeling that it wont help much with my hsc. but if i stay in 2u, im getting low maths, but i understand the work, it is just they throw in hard questions... i tend to struggle alot with them. well not hard, they are tricky.

astroman

HSC
tbh with you guys, i have asian parents, they would not let me drop maths, and plus i already have 10 units which is minimum for atar and hsc, i dont feel like doing gen maths, i have this feeling that it wont help much with my hsc. but if i stay in 2u, im getting low maths, but i understand the work, it is just they throw in hard questions... i tend to struggle alot with them. well not hard, they are tricky.
well if you wanna stay, u need to pick up your game, do lots of past papers and revise thoroughly regularly, put in 30mins to 1hr each night to revise and on top do extra HW if possible. Remember to do good in maths, you need practice, so do lots of questions and begin past papers now :D

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
sounds like you are leaning a bit more towards 2u

I suggest stay in 2U since you understand the concepts, you just need to practice and revise a lot more for the exams. Do practice questions that reflect exam difficulty (a lot of people would recommend using Cambridge and Fitzpatrick) to ensure you are as much prepared as possible. I would only suggest dropping down to General if you absolutely didn't understand 2U work but it seems like you do. :)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Keep the course for a while it shouldn't be too bad, and you can always drop after half-yearlies if you aren't satisfied with the marks you get.

astroman

HSC
Keep the course for a while it shouldn't be too bad, and you can always drop after half-yearlies if you aren't satisfied with the marks you get.
wouldn't advise dropping that far into the course, considering OP only has 10 units, there wouldn't be enough time to catchup on all the general work missed and it would be wiser to just do 2u

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
well if you wanna stay, u need to pick up your game, do lots of past papers and revise thoroughly regularly, put in 30mins to 1hr each night to revise and on top do extra HW if possible. Remember to do good in maths, you need practice, so do lots of questions and begin past papers now :D
I find that this isn't really necessary

With maths it's all about understanding the concepts and knowing how to manipulate them (if necessary) and apply them to a range of questions

You only need to do the bolded part if you're struggling in understanding a concept, because falling behind in maths can be a bitch, always keep up to date with the school and make sure that you understand what you have learnt after each period of maths.

Trust me there are concepts that you will find super easy to grasp for me it was parametrics in extension 1, and the one's that you will find difficult to comprehend to begin with, for me it was earlier in the year 11 course with learning all the trig identities, formulas, etc. What I'm trying to say is dedicate your time to the concepts you're struggling with.

HSC
thanks guys, anyways, after the second maths exam (dont have the exact date and time of that exam but im pretty sure its sometimes next year term 1) i would be able to drop down to gen maths, but from what i hear, yeah i will stay then, and ill just do more questions and revise alot. if there are any more suggestions or advice plz still leave it below. it will be greatly appreciated.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
wouldn't advise dropping that far into the course, considering OP only has 10 units, there wouldn't be enough time to catchup on all the general work missed and it would be wiser to just do 2u
True :/

OP have a talk with your maths teacher and maybe you can discuss with him/her the likelihood of increasing your marks

I've seen people's marks increase exponentially in the past, especially my brother who went from a band 4 extension 1 student to one who managed to achieve a band 6. If you're truly willing to improve and value your HSC then put in the effort and dedication and you will reap the rewards.

HSC
im pretty sure my maths teacher will say to me, i can actually do those questions but i do NOT show them in the exam. i need to do more practice questions, and make sure that i know when to use them. What i think is that my maths teacher is right but i just find the questions in the test challenging.

astroman

HSC
im pretty sure my maths teacher will say to me, i can actually do those questions but i do NOT show them in the exam. i need to do more practice questions, and make sure that i know when to use them. What i think is that my maths teacher is right but i just find the questions in the test challenging.
solution past papers, the more you do the more you will familiarise yourself with how the exam will be, if you get like 20% in the practice exams, repeat them after a few days :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)