Should I drop English Advanced (1 Viewer)

MANGO1235678

HSC
Hi guys, so I am on the edge of dropping of dropping to standard english and i need some advice. I used to be a diligent student in year 10 getting top marks, then in year 11 I got 60 percent avg with a rank of 6/28 and prelim final exam rank of 3rd, but I put in minimal effort. I then made the mistake of slacking off in my term 1 common module exam as I was debating dropping, I scored 60% with a rank of 15/25, I am thinking of actually putting in the effort now and getting some tution, though I might need to catch up on the holiday homework. So I guess what I’m trying to say is, will dropping to standard english hurt my atar? If it helps I am doing excpetionally well in my other 4 subjects.

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
keep adv, its likely it will get you a higher atar
being in a standard class may make you subconsciously slack off a bit, so best to stay in adv
honestly dw about catching up on holiday hw, just put all your effort into a couple essays for each module and then just memorise them

liamkk112

HSC
Hi guys, so I am on the edge of dropping of dropping to standard english and i need some advice. I used to be a diligent student in year 10 getting top marks, then in year 11 I got 60 percent avg with a rank of 6/28 and prelim final exam rank of 3rd, but I put in minimal effort. I then made the mistake of slacking off in my term 1 common module exam as I was debating dropping, I scored 60% with a rank of 15/25, I am thinking of actually putting in the effort now and getting some tution, though I might need to catch up on the holiday homework. So I guess what I’m trying to say is, will dropping to standard english hurt my atar? If it helps I am doing excpetionally well in my other 4 subjects.
depends, for me it was worthwhile as i was picking up 4 unit maths and did pretty meh in year 11 advanced, couldn't crack into the a range no matter how hard i tried and i wanted the lower workload in standard, plus my school was pretty clear that they recommended dropping if u found advanced difficult. worked out well for me, i went from not being able to get an a to consistently getting high marks, i even got 20/20 on a creative task based on our text, creatives used to be my weakest area but just because i loved the text so much as it was more contemporary i found it very easy to get into the shoes of the characters as was required. finished year 12 rank 1, then got carried in the hsc lol i only got 77 somehow but luckily my rank saved me as i got a 95 internal mark as a result of my rank, ended up getting high band 5 which was wayyy better than the band 4 i probably would've gotten in advanced.

i will say though, if you are putting in minimal effort rn but are willing to put in the hours and you know u can do well in advanced if u try, id recommend keeping it, as yes if u get a band 6 in advanced english it's very good for your atar, but also a band 5-6 in standard is honestly pretty similar to a band 5-6 in advanced at the end of the day. another thing to consider is the cohort, at my school as i said a lot of advanced students were encouraged to drop so the standard cohort was pretty good at the subject not to mention there were already strong students in standard before the advanced droppers, whereas at other schools u might not have the same experience, but ultimately it cancels out if you are high ranking anyway.

overall i'd say drop if u are finding the workload in advanced too much and if u want a bit more time to work on ur other subjects (although u said u are doing well so might not be an issue), the texts are much much much more accessible and easier to read in standard and therefore much easier to write an essay about, its easier to get a good grip of the ideas. but don't think that standard is a subject where u can slack and do nothing, u still need to write essays frequently, collate quotes, analyse ideas and come up with ur own independent understanding of the text, just like in advanced. but don't worry about atar, doing well in standard will still let u get a high atar if that's what ur aiming for, so just decide if u want to drop based on what i said above. : )

HSC
Standard and advanced are taught the same (for my school at least)
I don't see how the difficulty can be reduced by dropping?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
don't drop standard and advanced scale the same because english is the common subject everyone has to take but because the standard cohort tends to be not as good as the advanced one (cos those who are arguably better at english take adv) standard alignment is worse than advanced so if you're not ranked first you can get screwed over by moderation (+ there's not really that much of a difficulty gap between adv and standard if any at all). the fact you did well in y10 means you can buckle up and do well now. all for these reasons you can also see how many people got a band 6 on hscninja for standard and adv - for 2023 less than 100 did for standard and standard has more than half of the year 12 cohort taking it. just make sure you don't slack off this term (I think slacking off was the only reason your marks weren't what they wanted to be), finish your homework and get continuous feedback (from teacher or tutor).

even if you don't get a band 6, if that is what you're worried about, there are kids getting high 99s without a band 6 in english, but you have to do extremely well in your other subjects to make up for it (and if you are doing exceptionally well you have a good chance). they did get high band 5 for english though and there is a higher chance of getting a mark in or closer to band 6 with advanced. though you can definitely surprise yourself and you're still more than capable of getting a band 6 in advanced if you do put in the work now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)