Should I Drop Ext2 Mathematics/Atar Prediction (1 Viewer)

ddmoore95

HSC
Hi,

My half yearly examinations are coming up and I am unsure whether to continue Mathematics Extension 2 or drop it so that my Advanced ranking will count. I am finding it a struggle to find time to complete Extension 2 study and this is probably the reason why my ranking is so low.

My rankings are as follows for my subjects:
English Advanced - 7/10
Mathematics Advanced - 2/20
Mathematics Extension 1 - 2/13
Mathematics Extension 2 - 4/5
Chemistry - 2/18
Physics - 3/13
Business Studies - 2/12

My School ranking is around 60-70

My Questions are:
  • Should I Drop Extension 2 Mathematics?
  • What Atar Do You Predict I Will Receive?

Thankyou for your help,

ddmoore95

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As of right now, your MX2 probably won't count in the top 10. I haven't done predictions in ages but I'd probably say you'll get around 85-90. English Advanced is bringing it down badly.

So drop it if you feel you're wasting your time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's really a matter of whether you feel there's any value in doing Ext. 2. If not, then there's no point wasting your own time.

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you are finding that you are spending a lot of time trying to understand the concepts, or have difficultly doing so, I would suggest dropping it. That way, you can direct your focus onto your other subjects and potentially do much better than if you were to keep mx2.

:)

adellis

HSC
Just your opinion: I am currently doing 2U Maths and I am struggling a little bit. I have never been super good at maths and did 5.2 pathway in year 10 and scored around 60-80%. I don't know whether to drop down to General Maths? I have been told that due to scaling it is better to stick with 2U Maths even though I probably will not do very well. Is this true?

Your opinion is much appreciated,
Thanks

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

There are a few factors at play here. It is worth doing some research on exactly how your subjects are scaled and what you think your percentile rank will be. Your percentile rank is the number of students in your cohort that you beat (if your percentile rank is 95% you beat 95% of students in that particular subject). This is over all the students that sit the subject not just your school. How do you work out your percentile rank? There are only guestimates- but you should ask your teacher roughly what raw HSC mark a student of a similar rank got last year then look at the average raw HSC mark for the cohort. If you do this you should get a rough idea.

The reason why this is important is because scaling has a big impact on the contribution of a subject to your ATAR. For example, if your percentile rank in Maths Extension 2 is only 50% (so average) it will count as much to your ATAR as beating 99% of people who sit business studies (both have a "scaled mark" of around 43.5).

Personally, I would stick with Ext 2 Maths. Maths Ext 2 and Maths Ext 1 are the highest scaling subjects (but it can be very time consuming because you also have to sit Adv Maths which probably wont count). James Ruse/NSBHS have worked this out- most of their students sit Adv maths in yr 11.

If you want any more info PM me.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
With ATAR, what matters is your scaled mark not your actual mark (a 90 in 2U is not worth the same as a 90 in General).

With respect to General vs 2U maths:
- Beating 75% of students who do 2U will count as much toward your ATAR as beating 95% of people who sit general.
- Even if you bomb out, beating 50% of students who do 2U will count as much toward your ATAR as beating 80-85% of people who sit general.

It really depends on how much easier you think General is and what relative percentile you think you will sit in.

PM me if you want more info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)