Should I Drop Extension 1 English??? (1 Viewer)

L

law!

hey guys,

I going to drop extension english really soon though I thought I better ask anyone who's doing it if they think it's a good idea.

I do 14 units and there's heaps of work (I'm going to drop to about 11 units by year 12 anyway and everything I have I'm enjoying)!

The thing is that I can do well in extension english but our lessons start at 7. 30 to 8. 30 in the morning and analysing english stuff so early is difficult (one lesson starts at 3. 15 pm until 5. 30 sometimes 6 pm leaving little time for other subject study and homework!)

I'm not that creative (a lot more analytical) and ext is really expressive!
A subjective teacher can also be unfortunate.

So... any thoughts? It would be greatly appreciated! :)

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
well, i do ext eng, and ours start at 7:30ish, and i can say, the first lesson my whole class was practically dead. However, nowwe can just get used to it.

My advice is that, if you cant cope with the early or afternoon class's just drop it. I mean, as you said ure more analytical, not creative. Im total opposite =(.

14 units for me is too much, i had 14 units, however dropped physics...

However goodluck with your choice, and i hope its the right one ^---^

James747

HSC
If you think you can do better in other subjects than ext english then go right ahead. I was like you too, I had way too many units, so I decided to drop eng ext cuz I think I'll be able to perform better in the hsc with other subjects... and I still have 15 units right now, btw. =P

cl3nta

HSC
depends which extension you do... actually it doesn't. Revenge tragedy is a module A ext1 topic and I think Medea is one of the compulsory texts. All you have to do is analyse the **** through it. A module B ext1 topic is Postmodernism. A bit harder but again once you get the hang of the "conventions" in this way of thinking, you just have to use it as a lens to view the texts you do in class. Yes there is a creative component but isn't there in advanced too?

Using the timing of the class is just being soft imo. At least give it a chance in prelim, it doesn't count towards HSC (at least it might help you in adv HSC!). Drop all your subjects at the end of prelim course not during.

Hope that helped and goodluck :)

L

law!

Thanks guys I guess I'll think about it!

For ext the class is doing one flew over the cuckoo's nest for a film study (I've seen it... it's very intense) and W. H. Auden for poetry (he's a bit confusing... jumps all over the place)!

anyway, cheers!

slowjam10

HSC
hey, i go to the same school as law! and yeah the teacher is very subjective, when you say something if it dosen't clcik with her or if she cant relate to it she will give it a bad mark. Whereas our Adv Eng teacher is like more objective - if you say something good and back it up with evidence or an argument you get the mark you deserve.

Ext so far seems very awkward, the tecaher wants us to feel open to express ourselves but a cold environemnt is being created by her. I don't think she likes me all that much and we had presentations on W.H Auden's poetry and i did a visual represenattion and she didnt like it at all even though it was an idea which i clearly supported with evidence from the text ect. It just didnt click with her.

I do 13 Units

Adv Eng
Ext Eng
Modern History
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Food Technology
2U Studies of Religion

Is ext handy for uni: im interested in law, psychology, speech pathology, antropology, journalism

Im also considering dropping t but maybe i'll give her a bit of a chance.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Ah, all these schools who allow their students to do 14 + Units.
=(

=) Don't drop it. In my opinion, Ext 1 is a LOT more interesting than stupid Advanced.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Yeah 14 units is a bit much (but I can't talk ;))

I found that ext 1 really helped with normal english because you do more english which reinforces your skills, the ext class discussion can be better at times due to a smaller class and you get more face to face time with the teacher. :)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
Yeah 14 units is a bit much (but I can't talk ;))

I found that ext 1 really helped with normal english because you do more english which reinforces your skills, the ext class discussion can be better at times due to a smaller class and you get more face to face time with the teacher. :)
Unless you spread them over a couple of years or so :)

I concur with the last couple of points here :uhhuh:

fiona.p

HSC
i think you should do it for year 11 cos you might start to like it more and if you REALLY dont like it then drop it in year 12. thats what im doing...at the moment i just hate how they give u enormous amounts of work >.<

l.i.z.i`

HSC
hey =]
hmm first post!

i think im a bit behind on this discussion... but DON"T DROP ENGLISH EXTENTION!!
first of all yes it's much more interesting than advanced english...
the workload is :mad1: but i think if u can do good at something u might consider dropping something else that u can't keep up with especially if u do 14 units O__O"
and it does help with normal or adv english...
drop it in year12 if u really want to, but keep in mind that if u drop extention u'll be stuck doing JOURNEYS for the rest of the year
horray =.="
oh and someone up there had the same subjects as me!
adv english, ext english, ancient history, modern history, legal ^^"
haha but i do ext maths.... which im considering dropping =|

but ext english is great!! =]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)