Should i drop extension english (1 Viewer)

jessiej87

HSC
if drop extension i will only have 10 units... but i find it absolute torture to go to class and do all the extra work..
In year 11 i ranked well... but im not sure what to do because i HATE IT
should i stick with it or just drop it?

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
ill tell you my story about deciding whether or not to drop ext 1 and u can decide if u get anything out of it k? :)

in year 11 we studied romance.. i loved my teacher but i absolutely HATED the genre we were studying. I was expected to know all the themes, symbolism and all this other crap out of novels i didnt even understand when i read the 5th time. In term 3 we had to do an individual project.. discussing appropriations (i did pygmalion and my fair lady) i got last in the class for this. i got the lowest marks i have ever recieved in my life (29/80) i was shocked. i didnt work hard at all, i hated going to the classes, i was like you, i found it torture.

but when we were told we would be studying crime fiction for the HSC i began to reconsider my thoughts on dropping the subject. i thought 'maybe this year i can make a turn around and show my teacher that im not as bad as she thinks i am'. so ive decided to jus give it a go.. give it a trial so to speak and see whether i enjoy it or not.
so far - im loving it.

this is just my story... maybe you should just stick it out until you do your first assessment to see how things go. what are you studying btw??

stick it out for a little while longer and if you still absolutely hate it.. drop out.

HSC
N/A
I also have a similar story.

I was one of the "sleepy girls" who always fell asleep in the "naughty corner" because I found the work sooooo boooorrrriiinnnggg. Naturally, as I didn't listen, I didn't do well.

However, somewhere during Yr 12 everything suddenly "clicked". Don't ask me how or why, but up to that point I hated RFTG because I didn't understand the damn thing, and I really couldn't care less about some salmon run. But once I understood what the module was all about, it became a lot easier to work through it. Once I was motivated to work and actually do practice essays, I started doing a lot better. From one of the worst, I ended up ranking 19/72? and got 100% for my EE1 HSC Trial essay.

Yr 11 is very much boot camp for Yr 12, and I think you'll find that Yr 12 is different, if not easier because you were smart enough to drop something :p Stick it out for now I say - because you CAN drop it later. EE1 will click eventually, but agreed, it's a pain in the butt until it does. Just keep trying!

Jaydels

HSC
i dropped english extension a few weeks ago and it was the best thing i ever did. i was doing really well in yr 11, but i hated it sooo much and couldn't get motivated enough to do any work. i also picked up maths ext 2 so i had 13 units and i couldn't really cope with all the work. i'd suggest talking to your teacher/careers adviser, they might be able to help, but ultimately the decision is up to you

Aeolior

HSC
I suppose we're all in teh same boat. But for those doing speculative ficiton, u'll find that its a really really interesting genre, a meta genre as my teacher says. Althoguh u may hate the subject due to the extensive amount of time used on one unit, its really worthwhile, continue doing it until your first assessment.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
POMO only really "clicked" for me halfway through the year. Keep at it. :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
and you thought Emma was bad, you don't know the meaning of tedious until you've trawled through mansfield park...
well we do the individual and society and whilst I'd like to do something more interesting like post modernism or rftg I love english, I really do, however weird that may sound, so I'm going to keep at it, even though so many dropped in prelim....we're doing James now and he's nowhere as bad as austen.
it depends on your own individual circumstance...but I'd say persevere, english > most things.

Aeolior

HSC
XP I'm doing speculative fiction and its sooo interesting, we explore things which project into the future.

Hmm, I heard from the other english extension class doing revenge and tragedy is that it gets quite interesting as u progress through the course.. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)