Should I drop General Maths? (1 Viewer)

AB94

HSC
Hi,

I am in my prelim course and I have never been shy about expressing my idiocy regarding maths. From 7-10 I never got over 85% in my standard or general maths classes in yearlies. I now have the option to drop two units - and considering I have been going horribly in general recently, and on top of that, not enjoying it at all, I am considering dropping it.

My subjects (I plan to undertake for the HSC) are;

1. Extension 1 & 2 English
2. Advanced English
3. Legal Studies
4. Visual Arts
5. Ancient History
6. (Maybe) Economics

I do extension English at the moment, and I get a solid 75-85% in that - I could get more marks with increased effort quite easily
For English advanced I get around the same
Economics I hit around 65-80% (depending on the test - if its an essay I find it easy, it its mathematical I get crushed a bit)
Legal Studies I top my class with a solid 90-100%
Visual Arts I top my class with 90-100%
... and maths general I would say my average mark is around 60-70%

I want to do a double degree at uni -- bachelor of arts/law (which is around 90 ATAR) but I love economics and the concepts of finance - not the raw maths/equations

Do I drop general maths to keep my ATAR in a safer spot? I cant afford any marks lost to a subject I suck at and hate.

Thanks so much in advance!
AB

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Keep general maths imo, but if you find it hard I would drop it.

Economics is awesome, so keep it.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Not that many equations in eco tbh, probably just a couple per paper... just rote learn the formula + questions if you don't get it, it's not going to be like 1/4 of the paper or something.

I would drop general maths then (assuming the poor average = a similarly poor rank). I doubt it would count to your ATAR and it'd be a waste of time trying to understand it if you pretty much can't. Plus, you have 14u there (keep eco!) which would be hard to keep up with if you have to devote all this time trying to up your maths. Also, you should definitely not keep it since you hate it, as you would be less motivated to persevere during the HSC year.

Instead, you'd be better off devoting more time to English, which you sound considerably more confident in, and which would actually scale alright if you did well. General maths scales poorly... if you performed poorly it would scale even worse.

Only 10 units count to the estimation of your ATAR (2 units of english are mandatory) so definitely consider dropping it (imo definitely drop it) if you're going to do economics.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You don't want to do maths? Then drop it. No issue at all.

AB94

HSC
You don't want to do maths? Then drop it. No issue at all.
Cool. I was under the assumption that any form of maths is looked highly upon... but given my marks I doubt my ATAR would benifet after scaling etc. Its strange since I would be the 1st person in my year to not do any form of maths... lol

Keep general maths imo, but if you find it hard I would drop it.

Economics is awesome, so keep it.
I find maths general reasonable... at least I am under the impression that I understand the questions. Unfortunately, this confidence isn't reflected in my final mark.

I checked out your eco notes. (Thanks for uploading all of them btw) Pretty damn confusing. It also worries me that there is some prelim content in there I havent done. My yearlies are next week and brushing over this stuff freaks me out. We barely touched price elasticity (I only know the definition) and the Labour market is vague to me. The other two topics I could talk about -- and more which isnt in the pdf's. I have heard from past students that it is double the content, double the effort and double the confusion -- is this true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)