Should I drop to General? (1 Viewer)

Rolphy

HSC
Casmira said:
if you really and truley can't go on, dont forget that you can take some subjects up while doing your uni course to bridge 2u mathematics, or do it during summer holidays

yeah i thought of that as like a plan b thing but im alos doin physics and my teacher for it said i might struggle a bit if i went to general

HSC
im notsure if mathematics learn about projectile motion, of if extension 1 do, but i can imagine some physics maths technqiues tie into some of the maths courses, i found general maths and doing chemistry doesnt make a difference, most the chemistry mathematics stuff is way easy

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
im notsure if mathematics learn about projectile motion, of if extension 1 do, but i can imagine some physics maths technqiues tie into some of the maths courses, i found general maths and doing chemistry doesnt make a difference, most the chemistry mathematics stuff is way easy
I can say with great confidence that physics does not help with maths in any way whatsoever, including in projectile motion

HSC
really? i'd think learning it in 2u (or ext1), and then learning it again in physics would help hammer the concept in, ie. IT and SDD both do ergonomics, almost identical, and by learning it from 2 subjects that helps more

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
really? i'd think learning it in 2u (or ext1), and then learning it again in physics would help hammer the concept in, ie. IT and SDD both do ergonomics, almost identical, and by learning it from 2 subjects that helps more
It is taught in both ext 1 maths and physics, but being good at it in physics (most people would learn it in there first) doesnt mean youll be good at it in maths. Firstly you use calculus in maths, in physics you just sub into whatever formula you need. Secondly the stuff they ask you to find in physics is pretty simple nearly all of the time. Projectile motion in maths is usually near the last question of the test and often goes beyond simply finding time of flight, or displacement etc.

mel4dan

My friend is having the exact same problem....drop it or not. It is a hard choice, however i feel 74% is a good mark considering my friend has got 27% and 44% in the past two assessments. (This is preliminary by the way). Really it comes down to how well you will go in the HSC and what UAI you will get. If you stay in mathematics and try to improve, you can still go well. If you drop, you then have to catch up on all the general maths and that may cause problems. I dont think a tutor will fix the problem only because i have witnessed friends go through the hassle and get no where. You either have it or you dont. Im doing extension 1 maths at the moment, im the top in that, but with only 81%. Im not happy with that, however as a top mark, i should be.

So, it really is up to you. If you really are going bad, drop before its too late. Otherwise try your hardest and get up there!!

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
I wouldnt drop if I were you, Im doing FAR worse than you are and im sticking it out!

Nevertheless I am putting more time into maths than all other subjects combined, and ive got myself a tutor.

My main problem with it is remembering everything, I get it when im taught it but then i forget.
Woe is me :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)