• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should i quit violin lessons? (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I am not really sure if i should quit going to violin lessons once per week because i'm going into year 12 next year.. with all the workload, so should i quit violin to be more focus on my study?

honsaw

HSC
N/A
My lessons are only an hour.. but i have to go during the week days which is on tuesday, and my teacher is really strict, so i'm a bit scared..

skynet89

HSC
depends what grade your doing for your exam + motivation/passion. i hated violin but mum wanted me to attempt Amus before i quit. i did my amus in year 12 and failed. just didnt like it/cbf but it's doable. hsc wise it didnt affect it much. i even went to china for 2 weeks with the orchestra.

the only thing that really kills your time and energy is going after school to your lesson/piano accompany practice(especially if it's far)

icecoffee

HSC
I gave up on my piano lessons at the beginning of year 12, term 2. I was in the middle of 8th grade but i wasn't half as prepared as i should have been. I use to like it but then it became all about passing and gaining certificates and it just wasn't fun anymore, hence my lack of commitment. Plus it took up about 4 hours just for the lessons (including transportation) and the additional hours for daily practice.

For me, i think quitting helped me focus more but only because i really disliked it. If you like it, then i encourage you to continue. Just give it a go and if it gets too much, and you're finding yourself strapped for time, then i suggest taking a break.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
honsaw said:
My lessons are only an hour.. but i have to go during the week days which is on tuesday, and my teacher is really strict, so i'm a bit scared..
I think the problem is that you should find a teacher that doesn't scare you so much. If you enjoy playing the violin, then it should really be an enjoyable lesson.

How much do you practice during the week?

honsaw

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
I think the problem is that you should find a teacher that doesn't scare you so much. If you enjoy playing the violin, then it should really be an enjoyable lesson.

How much do you practice during the week?
My teacher can be a bit scary at times but i guess he just wants me to do good.. and i have tried finding another violin teacher but there all kind of expensive because i only pay $40 an hour.. where as some charge like $55 an hour.

I used to practise everyday but now i don't practice that much anymore because i feel that i have lost motivation because its getting harder.. but i do have those times where i really enjoy playing and other times where i feel like i want to throw it out the window..

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
honsaw said:
My teacher can be a bit scary at times but i guess he just wants me to do good..
There's the idea of being firm as a teacher, but not really to the point of being scary. A good teacher would inspire and motivate if they want you to be good, rather than scare you into being good.

But fair enough, with the price and all.

honsaw said:
i do have those times where i really enjoy playing and other times where i feel like i want to throw it out the window..
That's perfectly normal. I guess you have to decide how much time you will have to practice vs how much time you will need to study for Yr12.

Could you perhaps find a slightly more expensive but understanding teacher but have just one lesson per fortnight? That way, it takes some pressure off having to practice for each weekly lesson.

It's just that if you take time off violin, you might regret it later when you have to work twice as hard to regain the dexterity in your fingers and bowing technique, plus other skills like sight reading. Being able to play a music instrument is a good talent to keep. Plus, it will add to your resume later as an extra-curricular activity or skill that you have, it's always a good thing to have in your resume that employers like to see.

Last edited:

sparkerasp

HSC
honsaw said:
My teacher can be a bit scary at times but i guess he just wants me to do good.
As RogueAcademic has said, a good teacher is one that is passionate about their work and makes you enjoy what you're learning every second you're doing it. I know this may sound weird but if your teacher 'scares' you, channel that fear into your playing. I have found that being scared by your teacher is a similar feeling to being on stage in front of a large audience. Make it motivate you to do better with the determination to transform that scary mood to a mood of praises.
I used to practise everyday but now i don't practice that much anymore because i feel that i have lost motivation because its getting harder
That's perfectly normal. The thing is, it isn't actually getting significantly harder. Other people or yourself make you think that it's getting harder. Many people stop the music lessons during high school senior year or when they finish high school, or when they get up to grade 8. This makes you think that the road is a lot harder to travel on.
but i do have those times where i really enjoy playing and other times where i feel like i want to throw it out the window..
Again, this is perfectly normal. On some occasions, I can get very bad tempered when I practice so when it gets to the point that I want to throw my sheet music on the ground and stamp on it, I get up from my seat, walk into my room and let the anger release by shaking my hands and arms as if lightning was thundering out of them. Act like Ludwig Van Beethoven, except do it silently and don't let it involve any objects.

I find that miming a violent argument with someone really helps :)

skynet89

HSC
honsaw said:
My teacher can be a bit scary at times but i guess he just wants me to do good.. and i have tried finding another violin teacher but there all kind of expensive because i only pay $40 an hour.. where as some charge like $55 an hour.

I used to practise everyday but now i don't practice that much anymore because i feel that i have lost motivation because its getting harder.. but i do have those times where i really enjoy playing and other times where i feel like i want to throw it out the window..

that was partly the reason i felt guilty if i gave up. my mum had to pay $70 a week every time. and most of the time i didn't practise. so cumulatively that's a lot of $ down the drain. but if you don't enjoy violin or your teacher, you should just tell your parents

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
$40 a lesson? What qualifications does your teacher have? That's a fairly big rip off.

I'm a violin tutor, but not making a business off it since I'm still at uni. I believe a bit part of learning the violin is self-motivation and a teacher who can teach at your own pace; not rush you through it or pressure you.

Unless you are doing Music in your HSC, I'd say having violin lessons isn't such a good idea, especially if its stressing you out.

Music should be a hobby, not an obligation.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
"Music should be a hobby, not an obligation"

That's true, but you shouldnt let the HSC totally eclipse your life for the next year. Playing music was one of the few ways I could relax and escape the madness of studying for the HSC :S

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
GreenLeaf said:
$40 a lesson? What qualifications does your teacher have? That's a fairly big rip off.
I pay $70. $40/lesson is EXTREMELY cheap, unless your teacher is young/inexperienced.

$60- 70 is the norm in Sydney, if you're looking for an experienced teacher.

Anyway, what grade/standard are you?
And do you enjoy it?
Do you want to have music as a career?

My best advice for you would be to lessen your lessons, to around once per fortnight, less if your workload at school gets crazy.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
chichichip said:
I pay $70. $40/lesson is EXTREMELY cheap, unless your teacher is young/inexperienced.

$60- 70 is the norm in Sydney, if you're looking for an experienced teacher.

Anyway, what grade/standard are you?
And do you enjoy it?
Do you want to have music as a career?

My best advice for you would be to lessen your lessons, to around once per fortnight, less if your workload at school gets crazy.
My teacher actually is like around in his 40's and i could tell he knows his stuff because he is really strict..

I'm grade 6 violin
Yes i do enjoy playing
No i do not want music as a career

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I say, keep it. During your HSC period, you will find that it's great to have something to take your time off for.

For example, I play table tennis for my own enjoyment. I also cover great distances by running. It's all about moderation.

SO if you enjoy it, don't quit it. If you don't enjoy it, find something else.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
if you enjoy it and find that you still have time for it (as well as practising!), then keep it! it'll end up being a bit of a 'break' from studies.

i found that i wasnt able to spend time on viola, as well as piano and other activities and school work, so i quit at the start of yr12 (well, t4 yr11). it was good for me coz i get a bit more time, as well as save my parents a bit of money.

Priscilla 09

HSC
honsaw, I had a similar situation as you, and chose to drop from one hour lessons to half hour for this year. This being said i am not planning on continuing with exams, partly because i loathe them and partly because i made it to grade 6 and am happy of where i am. Having a music outlet as well as a sport outlet is good, as the sport is physical but the music (especially violin) is an extra stretch of the mind. I chose not to quit because i didn't want to loose positions i have in a few string quartets with my teachers and i dropped music as a subject so i knew i wasn't going to get sick of lessons too quickly with that gone.
My advice, if you aren't planning on doing an exam drop to half an hour. That way you can keep your enjoyment and keep building your skills so that in the future if you want to do one you will have a year behind you of 'preparation' without the stress of 'exam preparation'. Plus just talk it through with your teacher. Hope this helps!

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i had piano, clarinet and flute lessons during my HSC in 2007 and it was my relaxing time and it didn't take away from my study time so i'd say keep it

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys for all your advices. I think i have made a decision to keep going to my lessons but i'm just worried about practising for violin exams, as my parents want me to do exams and plus if i don't practise my violin would know and he will get so angry with me..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)