Should I select chemistry for YR11??? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Other way around. Chem scales higher than eco by 0.5.

And if you dropped chem based on prelim year, I don't think your advice on this matter is worth anything, because you don't have any advice on HSC chemistry to give.

The mole stuff in prelim was dodgy. You relearn the basics of it in HSC, but it is just that: very basic.

Sphyx: Incorrect. You screw up ME2, and you'll get your arse kicked by bad scaling. Strong scaling works BOTH ways.

Rench: Same. HSC physics doesn't seem too bad, compared to prelim. I'd have liked to have done 6 units science + 4 units maths, actually.
Did you do Physics in Yr 11? 6 units of science - so you do Bio in addition to Chem?

Looking back, I figured that I have to count 2 units of English. So i'm planning on counting 4 maths/2 eng/Eco/Chem. I do Business + SOR as well, but I highly doubt either of them will count unless I get 98+.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No, no. It's just that I'm really interested in bio - I'll be doing it at uni, so I should have done it for 11/12.

I dropped physics because I incorrectly judged the subject based on my year 11 result. I wish I'd have taken biology in place of SDD, but they were on the same line and the teachers told me to do SDD.

Year 11: 3u Maths, 3u English, SDD, Physics, Chem, SOR1
Year 12: 4u Maths, Advanced English, SDD, Chem, SOR1.

I won't be counting SOR1, either.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I agree, but the way my teacher taught it was simply headache inducing.

slix_88

HSC
Thanks heaps guys!!! I'll give chemistry a go! By the way, i'm also considering taking up Armenian as an additional 2 units, making up 14 units total!!! Armenian would surely scale me heaps, as i am pretty good at it, and from my knowledge, approximately 25 people will be doing the course :) YAY

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
slix_88 said:
Thanks heaps guys!!! I'll give chemistry a go! By the way, i'm also considering taking up Armenian as an additional 2 units, making up 14 units total!!! Armenian would surely scale me heaps, as i am pretty good at it, and from my knowledge, approximately 25 people will be doing the course :) YAY
You could give Armenian a go, however 14 units may be quite difficult to cope with. Would you be doing at your school or at a different centre? Coz travel often takes up some time, in addition to the extra homework. That said, if you're good at it it's worth a shot and it may do well as a back-up in case you decide to drop something in Yr 12.

Btw. I'm not sure that Armenian scales that well. I have a feeling it's one of the subjects that has a cap on it, but I'll have to check on that.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
No, no. It's just that I'm really interested in bio - I'll be doing it at uni, so I should have done it for 11/12.

I dropped physics because I incorrectly judged the subject based on my year 11 result. I wish I'd have taken biology in place of SDD, but they were on the same line and the teachers told me to do SDD.

Year 11: 3u Maths, 3u English, SDD, Physics, Chem, SOR1
Year 12: 4u Maths, Advanced English, SDD, Chem, SOR1.

I won't be counting SOR1, either.
Ah ic.
I'm guessing you must have been at least mildly interested in computers in order to choose SDD (especially since teachers recommended you do it).

jws87

i did so shit in prelim chem (56%) in my end of year exam and i wanted to drop too
but i stuck with it and it got a whole lot easier (84% in HSC). Just get ur head around the moles calculations and you've got pretty much all the chem calculations in the bag

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Chemistry is alright as a subject, there are a lot of rather dry topics. Biochemistry is quite fascinating but don't expect much of it. If it ever becomes a choice between the two remember that chemistry has nothing on physics.

Electron interactions < The fundamental nature of space and time :uhhuh:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
The calculations in Yr 11 are often confusing to start with. It's an almost entirely new concept that can be a bit difficult to get the grasp of at first. After a couple of months of continual practice (and don't worry, your teacher will take care of that :)), you'll get tha hang of it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
KFunk said:
Chemistry is alright as a subject, there are a lot of rather dry topics. Biochemistry is quite fascinating but don't expect much of it. If it ever becomes a choice between the two remember that chemistry has nothing on physics.

Electron interactions < The fundamental nature of space and time :uhhuh:
Is the theory of relativity part of the Physics syllabus? (I don't do Physics)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
The calculations in Yr 11 are often confusing to start with. It's an almost entirely new concept that can be a bit difficult to get the grasp of at first.
Percentages are tough.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Is the theory of relativity part of the Physics syllabus? (I don't do Physics)
Yeah, we do very basic special relativity. You look at time dilation and length contraction but you almost don't have to be able to understand it if you can just apply the fomulas.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
oh that's just illogical.
chemistry saves the world :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
That's actually quite true.

But chemistry is the better of the three core sciences.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
KFunk said:
Yeah, we do very basic special relativity. You look at time dilation and length contraction but you almost don't have to be able to understand it if you can just apply the fomulas.
In other words, HSC physics is completely pissy. :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
What do you find interesting in chemistry? (i'm not taking the piss, this is an honest question asked out of genuine curiosity... at how someone can find chem more interesting than physics)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slide Rule said:
In other words, HSC physics is completely pissy. :)
As apposed to HSC chemistry or biology? They're all horribly diluted forms of what they really are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)