Should I 'try' Extension English and drop it if I fail at it? (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
I guess there's no harm in trying right? The problem is my fundamental knowledge isn't too good; I was only transfered to Advanced English in the middle of Year 10 but I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think you should only go into EE1 if you think you will truly enjoy it. No point in going into a subject with the mentality of "I might drop if I fail". EE1 is very subjective, and doesn't necessarily suit everyone. What do you mean by "fundamental knowledge"?

tashe

HSC
N/A
...What year are you in now?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Well, this forum is Preliminary Hsc isn't it? Hence you can deduct that I am in Year 11. I enjoy English, I've always had the passion to expand my knowledge for it. Fundamental knowledge meaning knowing things such as language techniques, etc. I'm saying this because I had a lazy teacher for 2 and a half years and we kind of strayed from the other classes.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I did English extension and was so damn lazy and thought I was going to drop it. I did next to no work for it and still managed 40/50. Just try it out and go with the flow, because that's what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The fact that you enjoy English and wish to expand your knowledge upon it is a powerful indication that you should try out English Extension One. Make sure you are brushing up on those fundamentals like literary and visual techniques as soon as possible through writing practice essays and getting REGULAR FEEDBACK on your progress, make sure you are committed to this subject and give it 100% effort, do not attempt the course with the mentality that you can drop it anytime, attempt it with all your effort, and if it doesn't work out, then you drop it. All my best wishes for you to ace your studies this year:)

enoilgam

HSC
I think you should only go into EE1 if you think you will truly enjoy it. No point in going into a subject with the mentality of "I might drop if I fail". EE1 is very subjective, and doesn't necessarily suit everyone. What do you mean by "fundamental knowledge"?
Definitely true - a lot of people enter Year 11 with a subject which they intend to drop/dont care about. It's far better to go into year 11 open minded and with a subjects that you think you will enjoy. That way, you will have more options when heading into year 12 - because you might find that you have issues with another subject which you thought you'd have no problem with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)