Should I Try Out For Selective? (1 Viewer)

dtmtrano

HSC
My parents have been asking me whether or not I want to move schools. I am currently attending Patrician Brothers College Fairfield, 9th Grade. However, I am under the opinion that my school is slowly dropping in regards to HSC performance. I am very eager to aim for a 99.7 ATAR but not sure if i can achieve it, so I have wondered if I should apply for a strong selective school, such as Sydney Boys to perhaps... fulfill my potential. But I am not sure if I would be able to make it in....

I am a student who is all around and does not have any weaknesses, i enjoy ALL my subjects and one who will often participate in ALL school activities, as well as a student who enjoys the company of all my peers.

My achievements that I have achieved so far:
YEAR 7: 1st in English, 1st HSIE, 2nd Overall, several awards for community and academic efforts, Credit in English, Maths and Science Competitions, Highest NAPLAN Bands for all, Class Captain (Homeroom)
YEAR 8: 1st in Maths, 1st Religion, 1st English, 1st HSIE, 2nd Italian, 3rd Art, MCS Basketball, NSWCCC Basketball, MCS Rugby League, several awards for community and academic efforts, High Distinction in CEO Religion Test
YEAR 9: 1st Religion, 1st English, 1st Commerce, 2nd Maths 5.3, 2nd HSIE, 3rd Art, Debating Team, MCS Basketball, NSWCCC Basketball, several awards for community and academic efforts, all top bands for NAPLAN, Credit in English, Maths and Science Competitions

My report reads:
English - A 95ish
Maths 5.3 - A 88ish
RE - A 98
HSIE - A 95ish
Commerce - A 97ish
Art- A 94ish
PE- A 88ish
Science- A 91

What school would I be able to make it in??

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Strong academic and extra curricular credentials.

Can't say for sure on your chances (I'd think you have a GOOD chance with the application) but definitely give Sydney Boys a shot.

If you get straight As in your Year 10 half-yearly report as well, you probably have chances for all selective schools out there.

If you're scared that you won't make it to Sydney Boys, try for other schools as well.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely try out-you have nothing to lose and everything to gain:)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah definitely give it a shot, I think you'd have a good chance, if not SBHS, another selective.

Being in a selective school environment would help immensely, but if you are not accepted, with drive and motivation you can achieve that ATAR at any school.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Try out for it, you never know until you actually do. Plus, selective schools can often be a great (albeit competitive) environment, where you're with likeminded individuals, which can really foster your growth as an individual. But that's just my opinion, other's may have different perspectives on what selective schools are like, but this is only based off my positive experiences of it :)

Best of luck to you!
(Your results are really good, as long as you keep your EC's up, I'm sure any selective school will accept you. Aside from the female-only selective schools lol)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Strongly advise you to try out. I didn't and now I regret it (gonna get pulled down by my cohort :( )

Try for Sydney boys, if not then Sydney Tech.

Ironist

HSC
Sydney Boys is a great school to try out for, but it's honestly difficult to get into the school without being 'imported' to do well in one of its school sports (The sports it primarily recruits from are rugby, rowing and basketball).
I remember that for Year 10, my year had around ~10 new students, and at least 6 of those were primarily given admittance due to their sporting ability (of course, a certain degree of academic integrity is needed as well, and you definitely fulfil that requirement).

Regardless, good luck, and if you do make it in, don't be alarmed that the principal has a hook for a hand. :)

Triseratops

HSC
Yup yup! I definitely think you have a chance with all your achievements and extra-curricular stuff.

A notable mention is that the acceptance of students for new year 10's are quite low. If by chance, you don't make it in, DEFINITELY try for year 11! Year 11 intakes are generally bigger! Oh wait no! have you seen the SBHS page?? "In Year 10, there are usually very few vacancies. In Year 10 2014, there are no vacancies and the school is not accepting applications for Year 10 2014."

dayum! maybe go for NSBH? I remember Baulko only looks at reports and extra curricular things and yours seem pretty good. James Ruse has this exam thing and as long as you're above the middle person of the grade, you're pretty much accepted. Give it a try! haha xP

Well, good luck! Keep up the good work! ^^

HSC
You should definitely try for schools like Baulko, North syd boys and fort street. I mean it doesn't hurt to try and like it is better than regretting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)