Should Religous Schools Be Shut Down? (1 Viewer)

Jess007

HSC
when kids of religious parents are old enough, they'll make up their own minds, until then we'll all continue to be brain washed by them. i think around 15 is when i started reliasing what my parents were making me learn was a total bunch of crap. now i have my own ideas of life and how we all got here. until a certain age we believe our parents then we realise that ' wow, theres a bigger world out there then what our parents really say'

HSC
Schroedinger said:
What he's implying is that both forms (At least in the majority of the population) are starkly different from the form of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia.

Wahabism is a lie, anyone that thinks it is not is a fucking moron.
nvm I took what he was saying to mean that religion and culture don't circlefuck each other.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
oh ok

I'm sure they do, but the reason I brought it up was to say that a single-religion school isn't necessarily monocultural because all islams or xtians aren't of the same culture :D

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
cucum3rs said:
p.s.

this isnt a personal attack towards you but wouldnt that be because christianity is one of the modules that can be chosen to study, and as (assuming by your post) they are from a christian school, wouldnt it be more logical to teach on a basis of what is already known? also im pretty sure religion is taught like history extension - where different points of view (i.e. marxist mannefesto, annales etc) are also considered - its not force fed "VOTE JESUS" type of stuff, but more the philosophy of religion.

i too, had a friend who went to a highly prestigious catholic school last year, who undertook the history extension course and studied the historicity of jesus christ elective - which basically sets out all the things which prove/disprove the existence of jesus christ, and thus question the reliability of the foundations of the catholic church.

and correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you can choose to drop religion in your hsc year?
Wait, stop. These people are taught that theres evidence that proves the existence of jesus? holy shit what a deadbeat school. Next they will be saying theres evidence of the magical orbiting teapot.

Kris Q

HSC
Religeous schools are an essential element of the education system. It allows parents to send their children to a school that teaches the values and morals that they respect and can also influence a child into choosing a religeon. They also fill a massive void in the state education system. Without them, the public schools could not physically educate that many people. So no, they should not be shit down

HalcyonSky

HSC
Kris Q said:
Religeous schools are an essential element of the education system. It allows parents to send their children to a school that teaches the values and morals that they respect and can also influence a child into choosing a religeon. They also fill a massive void in the state education system. Without them, the public schools could not physically educate that many people. So no, they should not be shit down
I really wouldnt know what to do if i was given a choice between shutting a religious school down or going back in time and ensuring that your parents never conceived

whatusername?

HSC
Serius said:
Wait, stop. These people are taught that theres evidence that proves the existence of jesus? holy shit what a deadbeat school. Next they will be saying theres evidence of the magical orbiting teapot.
jesus did exist. nobody doubts that. whether or not he was the son of god is the question

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
There are a few people that would argue he didn't exist (I've read some stuff that tried to make the case).

Honestly though, I don't think it really matters whether or not some guy called Jesus lived 2000 years ago. As you say, there are more important questions, like was he the son of god, would he be so tolerant of the terminator, etc.

HSC
I don't doubt there could have been a guy called jesus, I'm sure a lot of the miracles etc didn't happen.... :|

whatusername?

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Actually, that's wrong entirely.

There are a great deal of people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_myth_hypothesis
there are always conspiracy theorists. Ask any serious historian and he will tell u that jesus did exist and he did claim to be the messiah. He will also tell u that someone claimed to b the messiah pretty much every second week.
That aside, what irritates me is why the fuck is god (Jehovah) going to send me to hell for not believing in him when he wont prove his existence to me. If he is so all knowing then why cant he empathise with my scepticism? Why did he make my mind like this if he wants me to conform??!
And i just took a look at this link and its just as ridiculous as the baseless beliefs of religious ppl. It just says that coz christianity copied some stuff, jesus didnt exist. Brilliant

Last edited:
HSC
Ask any serious historian and he will tell u that jesus did exist and he did claim to be the messiah.
At what time?
Is the story completely accurate (location etc)?

If you have disagreements with these sort of things then while you might say (like me) that I have no reason to doubt there was a guy called jesus, chances are a lot of what's written in the bible about him is trash.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
People getting a bit too use to being selective in what they read are we?

To my understanding, there is physical evidence of a Jesus of Nazareth, son of Joseph and Mary. But there is no evidence that this Jesus (a common name) was the same Jesus that had twelve disciples, was considered a threat, crucified, etc. Beyond that, there is no evidence that says that Jesus was who he was; a miracle worker, the son of God, born of a virgin etc.

If you would like me to source the "Jesus of Nazareth, son of Joseph and Mary" I will try. I watched it in a documentary about found tombstones etc and they were trying as hard as they could to link it to the 1st century celebrity. However, I don't think it would be necessary, since what is lacking here is the actual link of this Jesus, to celebrity Jesus.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest people get it through their heads about what this thread is about.

There is already a "Does God Exist" thread.

Last edited:

whatusername?

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
At what time?
Is the story completely accurate (location etc)?

If you have disagreements with these sort of things then while you might say (like me) that I have no reason to doubt there was a guy called jesus, chances are a lot of what's written in the bible about him is trash.
more than likely the story isnt accurate. but he did exist. and i agree with u, more than likely the bible is trash too

HSC
If you believe that 'Jesus' is this guy who did X, Y, Z at A time.... then chances are that 'jesus' did NOT exist imo. If you believe Jesus was another preacher at some time around 20BC then I'd say chances are he does exist.

whatusername?

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
If you believe that 'Jesus' is this guy who did X, Y, Z at A time.... then chances are that 'jesus' did NOT exist imo. If you believe Jesus was another preacher at some time around 20BC then I'd say chances are he does exist.
if by that u mean that if you believe jesus did miracles, then he didnt exist, and that if u believe jesus was a preacher, that he did exist...then err... yes i agree with u (i think)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
religious schools are there (imo) because:

1. they hearken back to the day when religion was an important part of society, and are extant reminders of this - some people have retained religiosity and these schools give them the option to perpetuate this and in a democracy this is allowed
2. parents can say that their kid goes to a private school, however pseudo that term may be (corollary: false sense of importance)

from someone who went from a public to a catholic school, i found that they're fundamentally the same and religion is just a subject and should be treated as such. but from anecdotal evidence, i guess that it depends on how much emphasis the school wants to place on religious-ness. some have fundamentalist leanings whereas others (e.g. my school is franciscan [read: they force us to donate to charity]) are just like any other pretty much the same as any other secular school with some tweaks which only matter depending on how much you want to bitch about it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
gouge.away said:
religious schools are there (imo) because:

1. they hearken back to the day when religion was an important part of society, and are extant reminders of this - some people have retained religiosity and these schools give them the option to perpetuate this and in a democracy this is allowed
2. parents can say that their kid goes to a private school, however pseudo that term may be (corollary: false sense of importance)

from someone who went from a public to a catholic school, i found that they're fundamentally the same and religion is just a subject and should be treated as such. but from anecdotal evidence, i guess that it depends on how much emphasis the school wants to place on religious-ness. some have fundamentalist leanings whereas others (e.g. my school is franciscan [read: they force us to donate to charity]) are just like any other pretty much the same as any other secular school with some tweaks which only matter depending on how much you want to bitch about it.
well aren't you smart fer a 15 yr old :read:

HSC
Jesus may have existed as a preacher, but as for the milksop peace-lord he is supposed to be, that was thanks to the Victorians. Blame them, I tell you!!!!!!

Religious schools are outdated and entirely unnecessary.

(Both personal and religious experience went into that comment.)

Private schools are often worse than public; there are more drugs (more money), and whereas the teachers should be annihilating the problem, they simply go around denying its existence.

For instance, the principal of an extremely prestgious Sydney private school said in a schoolkids/teachers/parents gathering that their were no drugs whatsoever in his school. Their next-door neighbour was very unimpressed with this, as he had been complaining about students becoming stoned by his fence each day.

Besides, public schools often recieve the private school kids who get kicked out, and turn them around for the better. Public schools are the ones who push their students to the brink of death (ask almost any student) to elevate their school's rank etc. Public schools need to work harder for their reputation not because they don't deserve it, but they're PUBLIC. No prestige, see?

However, my deepest regards to James Ruse Agricultural Selective. The highest-ranking school in NSW, and PUBLIC.

I am starting to regret rejecting their placement offer... if only a little! :p

BTW, private schools are generally WAY more lenient about things. E.g. Arndell Christian School has / had a Muslim captain. I think that's excellent! CULTURAL DIVERSITY WILL REIGN SUPREME!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

law

HSC
N/A
Why close down religious schools?

Is it because people that go to public schools feel disadvantaged because they can't compete with religious/ selective schools?

This post will probably cause problems... oh well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)