Should there be an Aboriginal voice to parliament? (1 Viewer)

A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishin

• Yes

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Idk/results

Votes: 35 22.6%

• Total voters

TankKuno

HSC
lets talk real, if u guys have the funds to successfully and comfortably live in another country, which is it and why?

Decapped

HSC
N/A
because it has an educated, wealthy, urbanised population. it’s similar to inner Sydney/Melbourne if you check them

the only places that really voted yes were the inner cities and the really remote aboriginal polling booths
Mhm I guess all people that voted no are uneducated?

carrotsss

HSC
Mhm I guess all people that voted no are uneducated?
Statistically, a majority of the no vote came from less educated parts of Australia, and polling specifically indicated that those without a university degree were much more likely to vote no (obviously not all of them though)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
i wonder why... lol
less brainwashed, more sceptical of elites, more likely to be negatively impacted by pro-abo policies

its also so funny when leftists call people "more educated" or "less educated"

They would never compare white and aboriginal australians in those terms, they would say whites are "educationally advantaged" and aboriginals "educationally disadvantaged". Saying "aboriginals are less educated than white australians" would be terribly racist.

But when its people they don't like, they basically imply that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot

itsalovehaterelo

HSC
less brainwashed, more sceptical of elites, more likely to be negatively impacted by pro-abo policies

its also so funny when leftists call people "more educated" or "less educated"

They would never compare white and aboriginal australians in those terms, they would say whites are "educationally advantaged" and aboriginals "educationally disadvantaged". Saying "aboriginals are less educated than white australians" would be terribly racist.

But when its people they don't like, they basically imply that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot
so so agreed. its always the young people w the niche degrees too... like to be honest some of the smartest people right now are the ones getting trades or working rurally, particularly if they dont have great grades. imo its 100x smarter to learn a trade and make money than to do some useless degree just to brag about it and end up less "advantaged"

notme123

HSC
i dont like the terms 'more educated' and 'less educated'. like what does that even truly mean. someone can easily go to uni, learn jack and just pass courses, then get a degree at the end and be considered educated.

in my opinion, i think the key distinction to be made is not someones academic status, rather their experiences. i would argue those with more social jobs such as trades, construction workers, small business owners, who might not have necessarily be 'educated', have much more worldly experience compared to some stuffy uptight commerce graduate at mckinsey consulting or investment banker at goldman sachs, which both jobs are effectively about making up bullshit for a living based on numbers that may or may not be real with their small teams and cbd bubble buddies instead of contributing to the wider community.
i might be a hypocrite for saying this as im not a very socially aware person most of the time, i go to uni and enjoy it, and overall i just live comfortably. but at the same time im aware so-called 'brains' and 'academia' arent the be all and end all to judge a person. its hard to characterise people in the modern world without looking at superficial traits like job (doctor, lawyer, elephant poop scooper) than what theyve done and what people think of them.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
You dont agree with me so you are peddling misinformation. Seriously what ever happened to a well organised and thought out rebuttal to counter another argument? Maybe if the Yes campaign focused on that instead of calling everyone racists and getting celebrity/big business endorsements they would have won.
you're my favourite mod, I just wanted to tell u

lolcti

HSC
N/A
"This 100%. Ive said it repeatedly, I cannot understand immigrants who leave their old country for Australia for a "better life" only to bring all their old country problems to Australia." ok bitch kick me out you're my least fav mod now

Reactions: oml

Rattlehead15

HSC
"This 100%. Ive said it repeatedly, I cannot understand immigrants who leave their old country for Australia for a "better life" only to bring all their old country problems to Australia." ok bitch kick me out you're my least fav mod now
I dont see what the issue is with that statement

lolcti

HSC
N/A
I dont see what the issue is with that statement
I mean he said it in the Palestine/Israel thread when Australian Palestinians were protesting for their relatives to get out of Palestine but I don't want to debate this topic again

oml

HSC
"This 100%. Ive said it repeatedly, I cannot understand immigrants who leave their old country for Australia for a "better life" only to bring all their old country problems to Australia."
What do they want us to do, live in our country where millions of people don't even have basic human rights? The only way to get people to KNOW the issue your country is experiencing is to protest, or else western media will ignore it and we won't get help.

Rattlehead15

HSC
What do they want us to do, live in our country where millions of people don't even have basic human rights? The only way to get people to KNOW the issue your country is experiencing is to protest, or else western media will ignore it and we won't get help.
What can Australia do about it though? We're on the other side of the world, aren't a superpower like America or Iran, don't have much control politically. I understand if someone is concerned about relatives or friends back there but there's nothing that can be done. Protests just cause a nuisance when 99% of the population isn't involved.

oml

HSC
What can Australia do about it though? We're on the other side of the world, aren't a superpower like America or Iran, don't have much control politically. I understand if someone is concerned about relatives or friends back there but there's nothing that can be done. Protests just cause a nuisance when 99% of the population isn't involved.
Australia can't do anything about it, that's why they shouldn't have lighted up the Parliament House for Israel. Knowing there's Palestinian Australians they shouldn't have done that. If Australia involves themselves of course the population will get involved, nobody would stand for their country getting put down while another gets special treatment. It's a nuisance to you, because you're not getting affected by it, but most the people I know whether Palestinian or not, immigrant or not, muslim or not, feel the pain and suffering and want our fellow friends to have peace and not suffer.

Rattlehead15

HSC
Australia can't do anything about it, that's why they shouldn't have lighted up the Parliament House for Israel. Knowing there's Palestinian Australians they shouldn't have done that. If Australia involves themselves of course the population will get involved, nobody would stand for their country getting put down while another gets special treatment. It's a nuisance to you, because you're not getting affected by it, but most the people I know whether Palestinian or not, immigrant or not, muslim or not, feel the pain and suffering and want our fellow friends to have peace and not suffer.
I agree they shouldn't have lit up the opera house etc with any colours of either side. I do feel sympathy for the men, women children, families etc being held hostage and killed but I have my own life to worry about. And in my opinion there's not much that can be done to solve the generational hatred grown towards each other between Israelis and Palestinians. No matter how much we wish they could be at peace, they will always hate each other. If that wasn't the case, they wouldnt have been fighting for the past hundred years. I do think a lot of it is social media spreading or even romanticising opinions. It is quite interesting that if you switch off the news and social media, poof its all gone and doesn't exist anymore. (at least for me since I am not effected)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)