Should we reduce the refugee intake? (1 Viewer)

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
If a random guy showed up in my house in the middle of the night- I would not be asking questions- I'd either run, or punch him, depending on how big he was.

It isn't that hard to knock on a damn door- sneaking in is presenting a threat.
Those situations are not in the least bit analogous. How exactly is people fleeing persecution comparable to somebody trespassing onto your personal property? What you said was disgusting.

'Knocking on the door' is made impossible for many people because Australia will not issue visas to people from certain high conflict areas.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Those situations are not in the least bit analogous. How exactly is people fleeing persecution comparable to somebody trespassing onto your personal property? What you said was disgusting.

'Knocking on the door' is made impossible for many people because Australia will not issue visas to people from certain high conflict areas.
Not about refugees.

About australian waters.

The government should have knowledge of all vessels within our waters at any time, and trespassers should be seen as a threat to national security.

If a refugee boat doesn't identify itself before entering waters it should be seen as a threat and treated appropriately.

"Disgusting" is irrelevant. The course of action is correct.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Not about refugees.

About australian waters.

The government should have knowledge of all vessels within our waters at any time, and trespassers should be seen as a threat to national security.

If a refugee boat doesn't identify itself before entering waters it should be seen as a threat and treated appropriately.

child please

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Not about refugees.

About australian waters.

There's absolutely no valid reason to "sink them without asking questions", as you put forward earlier. As others have pointed out that is not the course of action the Navy would ever take. But even if they did that wouldn't excuse it as the 'right' thing to do.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
watch district 9, that movie pretty much explains the refugee issue pretty well.
I watched that movie years ago. I didn't think that it would have legitimate facts in it hahaha :haha:

If a random guy showed up in my house in the middle of the night- I would not be asking questions- I'd either run, or punch him, depending on how big he was.

It isn't that hard to knock on a damn door- sneaking in is presenting a threat.
Breaking and entering with perhaps the intent to harm or at least to burgle is different to asylum seeking. You cannot create parallels or*apply the same logic to them, and it says a lot about your naivety and ignorance.

Not about refugees.

About australian waters.

False. The course of action is incorrect and you are now changing your stance. First they need to shoot on site, now there is space for identifying themselves.

Go back to your HSC textbooks and Hollywood movies. The grown ups are talking.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
There's absolutely no valid reason to "sink them without asking questions", as you put forward earlier. As others have pointed out that is not the course of action the Navy would ever take. But even if they did that wouldn't excuse it as the 'right' thing to do.
The policy change would be enough to make a difference.
If refugees stopped sinking their own ships and demanding our help- then dying in hundreds as a result, there would be a net decline in refugee deaths.

I'm sure there ARE countries which shoot trespassers on sight, and there are potentially less trespasser fatalities in these nations than there are refugee deaths in Australia.

THAT would make it the 'right' thing to do.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
If refugees stopped sinking their own ships and demanding our help- then dying in hundreds as a result, there would be a net decline in refugee deaths.

I'm sure there ARE countries which shoot trespassers on sight, and there are potentially less trespasser fatalities in these nations than there are refugee deaths in Australia.

Until you can provide evidence that these countries exist, that is a huge sweeping statement full of pure speculation. What you are saying is immaterial. The idea of shooting trespassers on sight would create huge international problems in itself. Remember this is the real world we're discussing here, not MW3.

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

There may well be countries who shoot trespassers on sight, but this does not make it any less an appalling practise, and does not in any way justify Australia following suit.

Don't advocate the killing of human beings without question (itself a war crime) under the guise of trying to 'save lives'. You are fooling nobody.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
View attachment 28528

Just for laughs for those who haven't seen it already
Yeah I laughed at first, but he didn't arrive in Australia by boat. He actually went directly to Malaysia by boat and was processed offshore as an asylum seeker before flying into the country. The idea of stopping the boats is said to be in the interests of the boat people themselves since it's so ridiculously dangerous. But to be perfectly frank, I don't see how they're going to jump onto planes and fly into the country if they're in a civil war... how else does asylum seeking work?

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Arriving in a boat is a risky procedure and this is unfortunately evident in what occurs. There may well be countries who shoot trespassers on sight, but this does not make it any less an appalling practise, and does not in any way justify Australia following suit.

Don't advocate the killing of human beings without question (itself a war crime) under the guise of trying to 'save lives'. You are fooling nobody.
Screw trying.

Succeeding.

The time for questions is before entering waters, not after. Once an un identified vessel is within waters, it is a threat.
There is no time for questions.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Screw trying.

Succeeding.

The time for questions is before entering waters, not after. Once an un identified vessel is within waters, it is a threat.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Screw trying.

Succeeding.

somebody watched too many war movies and played too much call of duty.

edit: you start shooting at refugees or people fleeing conflict areas, you're pretty much committing a warcime.

have fun killing non-combatants.

lol countries that "shoot on sight if they trespass" child please ever heard of warnings and warning shots?

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Screw trying.

Succeeding.

Yes I'm sure all those people who risked their lives to flee from war, famine, and persecution are really just out to kill us... *rolls eyes*

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
somebody watched too many war movies and played too much call of duty.

edit: you start shooting at refugees or people fleeing conflict areas, you're pretty much committing a warcime.

have fun killing non-combatants.

lol countries that "shoot on sight if they trespass" child please ever heard of warnings and warning shots?
I suspect you've had more time with call of duty than I have, after all it's the first thing that came to your mind.

I, like many Australians, have heard about enough about boat people- and I'm venting on an online forum, don't take it too seriously, sorry for upsetting you as you couldn't see that.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I suspect you've had more time with call of duty than I have, after all it's the first thing that came to your mind.

I, like many Australians, have heard about enough about boat people- and I'm venting on an online forum, don't take it too seriously, sorry for upsetting you as you couldn't see that.
maybe stop buying the newspapers and buying into political rhetoric, then maybe you'll stop hearing about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)