Sickie in an exam (1 Viewer)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone,

I was doing my 2 unit mathematics prelim final exam this morning and about half way through the paper, I got really sick and extremely dizzy. I felt a bit strange before doing the exam, but since I was at school, I had to do it and not go home.

Once I couldn't stand the dizziness anymore, I notified the teacher in charge and he got the deputy to come and see me in the exam room.
The deputy insisted that I should try my best for the last segment of the test (I tried b ut I simply couldn't go on).

He also wrote a few words on the test to indicate that I was sick and told me to see a doctor to get a doctors certificate for a misadventure?

Anyway, I saw the doctor this afternoon and I am diagnosed with a virus that attcks the balancing organs in the ear. I also got a doctors certificate to prove that I am sick.

Anyway, what I've been thinking is what will happen to my maths exam, as I indicated above, I felt crap from the beginning so even the questions I did in the first part would look pretty crap. AT this point, I know that I have failed miserably....
Does anyone know what happens to my final result in this case?

I'm not the best maths student out there, but my maths mark is spot bang in the very middle of the class with a rank of 13/26 and also on par with the class average. I had a thought of doing the paper again, but I would doubt something like that would happen due to the fact that I have seen the paper and attempted it, therefore it wouldn't be fair to the others. If I did a different test paper to the other students, then my mark cannot be compared to the others as they will be different tests. Maybe the school will just give me an average mark based on my previous work?

Has anyopne been in a similar situation? I know my brother has when he was in year 8 and he just got whatever result he got on the test paper.

Thanks.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Only year 11. If it was HSC you would most likely get an estimate.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
dont worry bout it, you cant fail year 11 based on marks. only on attendance or by being giving a non-attempt, at my school anyway.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
bluesoleli said:
Hey everyone,

I was doing my 2 unit mathematics prelim final exam this morning and about half way through the paper, I got really sick and extremely dizzy. I felt a bit strange before doing the exam, but since I was at school, I had to do it and not go home.

Once I couldn't stand the dizziness anymore, I notified the teacher in charge and he got the deputy to come and see me in the exam room.
The deputy insisted that I should try my best for the last segment of the test (I tried b ut I simply couldn't go on).

He also wrote a few words on the test to indicate that I was sick and told me to see a doctor to get a doctors certificate for a misadventure?

Anyway, I saw the doctor this afternoon and I am diagnosed with a virus that attcks the balancing organs in the ear. I also got a doctors certificate to prove that I am sick.

Anyway, what I've been thinking is what will happen to my maths exam, as I indicated above, I felt crap from the beginning so even the questions I did in the first part would look pretty crap. AT this point, I know that I have failed miserably....
Does anyone know what happens to my final result in this case?

I'm not the best maths student out there, but my maths mark is spot bang in the very middle of the class with a rank of 13/26 and also on par with the class average. I had a thought of doing the paper again, but I would doubt something like that would happen due to the fact that I have seen the paper and attempted it, therefore it wouldn't be fair to the others. If I did a different test paper to the other students, then my mark cannot be compared to the others as they will be different tests. Maybe the school will just give me an average mark based on my previous work?

Has anyopne been in a similar situation? I know my brother has when he was in year 8 and he just got whatever result he got on the test paper.

Thanks.

they will either get you to sit the final part of the exam again,
sit another exam which is similar to your first one.

or calculate an average mark from your previous performance, or the performance of particular test.

SimonLee13

HSC
I read somewhere that if you are sick and you attempt the exam, the marks you get will be counted.

5233andy

HSC
I've experienced the same illness. It's usually associated with the influenza virus. It may be possible that you will retain your current rank in that particular subject.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
I read somewhere that if you are sick and you attempt the exam, the marks you get will be counted.
This might be your school's policy but it doesn't apply in the HSC.

I have had at least two students who have attempted exams over the years who have reported being sick to the Supervisor during the exam, then gone to the doctor and applied for a Sickness/Misadventure consideration and been successful.

bubbledye

HSC
hey i had my modern exam 2 days ago..
and i was sick half way through..

i had studied really hard and shit..GAH!

but they (being my shit hole of a school) is letting me do a re-test..just different exam..(questions etc.)

so there you have it :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TO OP: Looking over your post, it seems to me that you won't be disadvantaged by it. Your examiner wrote something on the paper right? And you got all the medical certificates ready, yes? Then don't worry. Your marks won't count in that case (I mean in most cases). It's highly likely that your marks will be altered according to your most recent rank so you won't be affected at all.

And to all those people who said it doesn't matter: Yes, it does matter. It may not matter to you because it is someone's problem. Yes, the OP is only in yr 11 but the right order must operate within the system from the beginning. And it's also better to get it right because better mark can be a good source of motivation. If you haven't got a better advice to give, just stfu and stay put.

Zantico

HSC
most people get sick in exams due to the amount of stress built up over the days before when studying and it just so happens to hit after they start the test or on the day when they know that they cant study anymore to get a better improved mark or something like that. i remember reading about it in PDHPE in yr7...8...9....10 ... sigh the whole PDHPE syllabus is the same year after year -.-

tetrisam

HSC
bubbledye said:
hey i had my modern exam 2 days ago..
and i was sick half way through..

i had studied really hard and shit..GAH!

but they (being my shit hole of a school) is letting me do a re-test..just different exam..(questions etc.)

so there you have it :)
ahh, ive got my modern tmr hopefully i wont get sick *knock on wood*

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
SeftonIsAHole said:
its amazing the amount of people that get sick in exams
I actually fell sick just before my yearlies this week. I'm still recovering, but I had a very croaky and sore throat and it was absolutely painful to do my Japanese Speaking Exam :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)