Significance of GPA (1 Viewer)

zbzb51

HSC
So i just found out about GPA... and now it's giving me a headache. I was just wandering how much of a significance it plays when looking for a job after i graduate. Do employees really look at GPA when employing? Is it really a deciding factor? I feel like i've completely screwed up my degree. I'm currently finishing my second semester... after slacking off the whole year i think i'm going to fail most of my subjects. Apparantly, Usyd calculates your GPA using the 3 most recent years of full-time study and my Bachelor of Economics degree is only 3 yrs... so all units studies will be included? will they be weighted equally? THANKS

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yep, all jobs in business are allocated mainly on gpa basis. if you're thinking of going into economics/marketing/econometrics/accounting/finance professions, you'd need a GPA of at leat 6.0. Hope you've got that GPA, otherwise you have to work in the public sector for a while, earning about $20k starting, and working 60 hour weeks :( it's pretty bad.

zbzb51

HSC
oh okay, thanx. but how difficult is it to get a gpa of 6.0?

spence

HSC
zbzb51 said:
oh okay, thanx. but how difficult is it to get a gpa of 6.0?
you didn't actually believe that did you?

zbzb51

HSC
umm... not sure what u mean but yes i do believe it. just wondering whether it's difficult to achieve and what kind of marks should i be aiming for.

zbzb51

HSC
LOL, shows how gullible i am doesn't it. argh, i just feel even dumber now. but yeah, thanx for pointing that out.

piitb

HSC
economics there are no jobs in private or public sector as an economist for average students Below Cr average.

well if your lucky u maybe able to get some sort of call center job in centerlink, ATO, RTA or any other crappy customer service roles, if they dont see u as overqualified.

thats the predicament alot of uni grads find thelselves, especially those in non professional degrees. they dont have the grades to get them into the career their degree allows them to be, but they are overqualified to be in low level jobs.

need at least credit average, but in reality, for economist/analysts u really need 6 gpa or higher to really stand out.... ie most have to get honours

the loophole is, if you want to restart your GPA, best u transfer to a new uni. UTS or MACQUARIE is prob best bet for you. UNSW u prob wont have high enough GPA to get transferred there (if u did fail).

p.s its very hard to bump up your GPA to a DN average if you have fails.

e.g if you get PS, Cr, DN and HD, your GPA is 5.5

but if you get F, CR, DN, HD then your GPA is only 4.5

1 gpa point is a huge difference, not to mention probably having to stay back a year.

getting a GPA of 5.0+ is hard enough, and an overall 6.0GPA is VERY HARD, probably only the top 2-5% of students will get that, as it is very hard to maintain that level of commitment over 3-5years.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
uhhh how will only the top 2-5% of students maintain a 6.0GPA?

An HD (7) is for the top 2-5% of students. A D is top 15-20% if I'm not mistaken. Given that many students getting Ds will also be getting HDs every once in a while, outweighing their Cs, I would guess that about 15% of students get GPAs above 6.0. Maybe more.

piitb

HSC
well if u look at the NRSL index, the a GPA of 6.0 over 3 years is worth 98.5UAI. that makes it top 1.5%

and on average, GPA's will tend to fall over the period of 3 years, as 200 and 300 level subjects are significantly harder than 1st year subjects.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=45647

so to turn around a GPA from 3.0 to 6.0 is virtually impossible (well unrealistic anyway), as not only you have to overcome your poor start, u have to then tackle the harder 200,300 level subjects

Last edited:

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
piitb said:
well if u look at the NRSL index, the a GPA of 6.0 over 3 years is worth 98.5UAI. that makes it top 1.5%
Generally speaking, the top 1.5% of the HSC cohort don't get 98.5 UAI for e.g. in 2007 something like the top 1.6% got 99 UAI and over. UAI and percentiles don't exactly correlate.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the NRSL index is insignificant. it is not an actual indicator of how someone would've performed in their HSC

uder

HSC
I only have a credit average, due to a shocking first half to my degree. Admittedly my second half is markedly better, but I secured a graduate position with an Aussie bank when my average was still rather poor. Marks will help get you into the recruitment process, but it was my performance in the assesment centre and the subsequent interview that helped me seal the deal. Hope this helps.

lou071

HSC
N/A
how do you calculate GPA?

can anyone post the mark range for pass, credit, D and HD?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
depends on your uni, but generally:
F = 0-49 (0 GPA)
P = 50-64 (4.0 GPA)
C = 65-74 (5.0 GPA)
D = 75-84 (6.0 GPA)
HD = 85+ (7.0 GPA)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:
So, how do we calculate GPA?

First, write down the marks and credit point values of each subject you do.

Then convert each mark into a grade. Usually this is done by working out which bracket your mark falls in:

0 - 49 = Fail
50 - 64 = Pass
65 - 74 = Credit
75 - 84 = Distinction
85 - 100 = High Distinction.

Now, convert your grades into grade points based on the following:

Fail = 0
Pass Conceded = 3
Pass = 4
Credit = 5
Distinction = 6
High Distinction = 7.

Your GPA is calculated by:
GPA = Σ(grade point for subject multiply by credit point value of subject) divided by Σ(credit point of subject). In the language of 2-unit General Maths, this means:

GPA = ( GP1 x CP1 + GP2 x CP2 + GP3 x CP3 + ... + GP'n' x CP'n' ) / ( CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n' )
Thanks to Frigid here. If all your subjects have equal credit point values, simply average the grade points.

Last edited:

lou071

HSC
N/A
what is GPA and what is WAM?
are they different?

at USYD, do they give GPA or WAM?

and if you want to transfer from maths degree to medicine degree in second year, do they look at your first year GPA?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
WAM is your average mark (e.g. you do two subjects and score 90 and 80 in each, your average is 85). GPA is your average grade (see calculation above).

for transfers, generally they use GPA. Not sure for medicine though, as they may have different rules.

technically, USYD don't 'give' a WAM or a GPA. You usually report whichever you want on your resumes, yourself. The transcript won't have them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)