Simple scaling questions, please help (1 Viewer)

xibeleli

HSC
Hi, i have read alot of scaling faqs but still remain confused :(

The rank of your internal assessements determines the aligned mark which you would get when compared with the common test (HSC exams)? If so does the mark depend on how well people in your school or how well the canditure/cohort of the course do for the common test?

The finish hsc exam mark is the average of the aligned assessment mark + hsc exam raw mark?

and finally does the scaling also involve capping subjects depending on their difficulty? e.g general maths of 99 is worth standard maths of 90

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

anythingworks

HSC
N/A
The rank of your internal assessements determines the aligned mark which you would get when compared with the common test (HSC exams)? If so does the mark depend on how well people in your school or how well the canditure/cohort of the course do for the common test?
Not sure what your asking, but the cohorts HSC exam results and your rank will determine your internal mark.

The finish hsc exam mark is the average of the aligned assessment mark + hsc exam raw mark?
The final HSC mark is the average of your aligned assessment and your aligned hsc exam mark. You do not receive your raw exam marks.

and finally does the scaling also involve capping subjects depending on their difficulty? e.g general maths of 99 is worth standard maths of 90
Capping exists to stop situations like eg. a person who excels at 4u maths dropping down to general and getting near 100%. In this case it would be more beneficial for him/her to do 4u maths. As far as i know it only applies to very extreme cases.

dolbinau

HSC
Regarding internal marks.

You won't be disadvantaged by the strength of your class assuming you tried your best in the HSC and Internal assessments - ideally, your HSC ranks and spread should be similar to your internal marks. Only if you come first in the HSC but come 10th in the internal assessment do you have issues, that is, unless you can rely on the people who get around the 10th position to do very well (as say at James Ruse) your internal mark will be greatly affected.

Regarding scaling, as far as I understand there are two processes related to determining HSC marks. Aligning and Scaling.

Aligning involves physically changing the marks so the top X amount of people will get their marks >90 to get a Band 6 etc.. Top Y Band 5 etc.. etc..

Then, scaling will determine the weighting of these marks towards your UAI. And in this process 90% in 2u maths will have more weighting than 90% in General.

T

Troy2287

May I add that the BOS aligns (Upwards) your marks. These marks are then sent to UAC and are scaled (Downwards most of the time) in order to calculate your UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)