Single Degree vs Double Degree (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am sure this has been done before but I went on a magical journey for such a thread and didn't find one quick enough so I hope you guys don't mind giving your opinons.

So basically I am currently enrolled in a B Social Science/B Laws at UWS. Originally I wanted to do the single degree at UTS but didn't make the cut off, so I found the double I figured I would like at UWS. I've done a semester and a half and realise that I still want to do the single degree and worry that it will hinder employment prospects, I much prefer my law subjects to social science ones. I have put in an application to transfer but I don't like to rate my chances with a 94.0 UAI and 5.0 GPA ( credit average - which i hope to improve this semester). If I were to get a transfer to UTS LLB would that make employment more difficult? Is it better to do something like Arts majoring in a language at Macquarie? (since I have a better chance of transfering to there). For law are Macquarie and UTS on par?
Transport wise both are really easy for me and the only thing helping me with the decision will be if I dont get into one or if I figure out which is better for employment.

Thanks for your time guys.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'll be dropping science at the end of the year and switching to a straight LLB. In all honesty I don't know what employers think when they take on graduates but since I want to work as a lawyer I don't see how a science degree will work to my advantage or how your arts degree will really work to yours. Dropping science WILL however chop a year and a half or so off of my degree and let me take more electives.

FYI if you're worried about making the cut for UTS (though you should make it) ANU may be a good second preference. You'll have to enrol in a double degree but you can drop out of your other degree at any time.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, like you I want to be a lawyer, most likely take the bar and prosecute, I figure another degree isn't much help. Criminology is interesting but taught from a social science point of view isnt that relevant I don't think anyway.

I want to do the LLB/GDLP which is four years but I should get enough credit to do it in 3 years perhaps slightly more.

I'd prefer a local uni, ANU would mean I would have to live on campus and Wollongong would be a 1-1/2 hr drive. UTS is a 15 min train ride, UWS is 20 min drive to either campus and Macquarie is a 25 minute drive.

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Wowzers, I didnt know there were just straight LLB's, aside from external studies... I was under the impression that it was always doubled because law firms want the 'variety' of other disciplines. You always see something similarly wanky on their graduate application pages...

Personally, I wouldn't do a straight LLB. Not because it would necessarily hinder your employment prospects, but because its atypical, and so I cant help but want to avoid the prying question from employers: "So... why didn't you do/complete a double degree?"

Mac's a great uni; It is apparently ranked as UNSW, USYD, Mac, UTS/Western... I think the idea is that UTS is a 'technology-focused' uni, as opposed to sticking to the traditional degrees.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the problem is, mel, the undergraduate straight LLB course is 4 years coz they make you pick up gen-eds.

i guess, when you transfer, you should apply to get your social science units counted as gen-eds so you won't lose any time off the 4-year LLB.

but... on the other hand is, 2 degrees are better than 1 (from most points of view anyway).

MJ: we have double degrees because we don't have law as a graduate-only option. the powers-that-be want law students to be well-rounded :rolleyes:

did anybody here that UMelb is switching over to the graduate law-only in 2009 (i think)?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
the problem is, mel, the undergraduate straight LLB course is 4 years coz they make you pick up gen-eds.

i guess, when you transfer, you should apply to get your social science units counted as gen-eds so you won't lose any time off the 4-year LLB.

but... on the other hand is, 2 degrees are better than 1 (from most points of view anyway).

MJ: we have double degrees because we don't have law as a graduate-only option. the powers-that-be want law students to be well-rounded :rolleyes:

did anybody here that UMelb is switching over to the graduate law-only in 2009 (i think)?
Yeah I figured my social science would cover that :) its also 4 years coz u can do ur PLT

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I've made the transfer in question (from BMedSc/Laws) and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Someone, somewhere will employ me I'm sure, and that's all I need before I score myself an unrestricted practising certificate and go solo.

mooskey56

HSC
this has probably already been answered, but i cant find anything on engineering double degrees so here i go.

im hoping to get into b engineering (mechatronics)/b commerce at UOW... but the only commerce type subject ive done was yr11 business studies and i dropped that for yr12. so would i stil be able to get into this course, and if i got in, would i stuggle? also, am i able to drop one of the degrees, say... b commerce, and just continue with my b mechatronics engineering degree?

cheers, adam

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
mooskey56 said:
this has probably already been answered, but i cant find anything on engineering double degrees so here i go.

im hoping to get into b engineering (mechatronics)/b commerce at UOW... but the only commerce type subject ive done was yr11 business studies and i dropped that for yr12. so would i stil be able to get into this course, and if i got in, would i stuggle? also, am i able to drop one of the degrees, say... b commerce, and just continue with my b mechatronics engineering degree?

cheers, adam
Hi Adam,

You'd best post that in the General Tertiary section, where they'll be able to help you more and it will be seen by more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)