Skrzynecki! (1 Viewer)

caitlinjinks

HSC
We have an assignment in advance and we have to write an essay that compares skrzynecki and one of his poems to a related text
can anyone help ;/

Sadiah

HSC
Skrzynecki's Immigrant Chronicle - you can use the poems "Migrant Hostel" and "St Patrick's College".

Related Text - Shaun Tan's 'The Arrival' [a picture book] - The pictures "Harbour" and the "Market" can also be effectively used.

The picture "Harbour" can be used with the poem "Migrant Hostel", and the picture "Market" can be used with the poem "St Patrick's College".

P.S. Shaun Tan's 'The Arrival' is a very popular related text used with Skrzynecki's poetry.

caitlinjinks

HSC
thankyou! how can i relate either of them though as i have never read them?

Sadiah

HSC
Awww. I done this last year ..

Can't remember much.

+ I gave my notes to this kid..

Try your friend, Google. :D

Off memory: The picture "Harbour" represents a massive ship sailing towards what looks like a welcoming city with two gigantic statues (possibly the Twin Statues of Liberty) at the front. The immigrants in the ship look confused, and seem to be thrown together carelessly. These immigrants are also curios and anxious to see what the so-called welcomin city reveals to them.
This relates to the poem "Migrant Hostel" as the immigrants, inclduing the Skrzynecki family, seem to be thrown together carelessly. Also, I think there's a line in the poem that says something like "the Skrzyneckis' never interacted with people that were from different backgrounds" or spoke different languages. Also, the migrant hostel is a temporary stop over and the immigrants are anxious to see where their destination is and what it reveals for them.

I dunno, just elaborate here and use Google.

Secondly, the picture "Market" depicts this guy with his back towards the viewer. He is wearing a suit, and a hat, and seems to be alienated from those around him.
Similarly, in the poem 'St Pat's College', the kid, Skrzyneki (or the poet) is also wearing a uniform but seems to eb alienated at school.

Just elaborate and use Google.

=)

Last edited:

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
I related it to Stuart Little and one of leunig's cartoons

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Firstly, you need to read the poems you have been assigned. Then pick the one which you feel best represents belonging. Then pick another text to relate it to. There are heaps here:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/818/concept-belonging/228949/belonging-related-text-suggestions.html

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can't. You will do badly without having read any of your texts. Tip to doing well? Read both your core poems and related texts. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)