slacked of in yr 11? improving for yr 12 (1 Viewer)

shaliaf

HSC
i really slacked off in year 11 and I know it
I had the mentality of it doesn't count towards anything so it doesn't matter and I'm really regretting it now
I go to a selective school but I really want to do well in yr 12

I'm not really sure what I want to do in uni, like some of the things I want to do needed a atar of 98 while something else only required an atar of about 83

in year 12 I'll be doing:
english advanced
maths (2unit)
chemistry
biology
music 2
music extension

is there anything I should do these holidays and tips for improving next year?
I've been looking at other threads as well an they've been really helpful

+ anyone else in the same boat as me?

madharris

HSC
N/A
OMG!!!! YOU'RE IN EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION I WAS IN WITH EXACTLY THE SAME SUBJECTS AND SAME ATAR AIM (well 97.5)!!!! :D
But didn't go to a selective school... but still :D

So basically in year 11, i slacked off a lot, failed a lot of exams and just subjects overall, was ranked pretty shit overall as well - that's the background

What I did was I used my shit marks as motivations for good marks. I was one of those people that would feel terrible if I got a shit mark, even if I crammed or if I didn't study. Yeah so my motivation was that I just wanted to do well for my own sake :p

What I did in the holidays was I brushed up on my maths a lot! Maths and chemistry were my main priority, but especially maths. I did a lot of maths, just because I knew that if I started year 12 with the maths knowledge I had at the time, I definitely would have kept on failing no matter how hard I tried.

For music what you should do is start building your repertoire, (I'm assuming your'e doing performance for extension), so what you want to do is start learning your pieces for any surprise performance assessments that you may have in term 4 (I don't think I had any but it's always possible, and it's not bad to start on your pieces asap). If you want to do composition then you might want to start your process diary and start on some ideas, and with musicology... have no idea about this, no one did it at my school :)
Also for music 2, work on your sight singing and melodic dictation just because they're are what stuff a lot of people up.

In term 4 what you want to do is keep ontop of your work.
The reason that I didn't work in year 11 was primarily because I was behind, which meant that I was bad at the subject, which meant that I didn't enjoy it. So by keeping ontop of your work, you may actually be motivated to study because you like the subject.
Keep up with your notes (especially for science) so you don't have to write them in the christmas holidays (you could be going out with your friends instead of writing notes on the holidays).

j12onuzim

HSC
Yeah... Failed 3u maths and Chem and only just average for Physics e.t.c. Hoping for 98

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)