Sleeping TIME??? (1 Viewer)

michael1990

HSC
My teacher for Information Technology yesterday, had stated that we should be going to sleep at around 1 or 2 am and getting up at 7am. He said that we should be sleeping when we are about to fall asleep as, it will give the brain relaxation and also a time for it to rest, but when we get up in the morning it will be refreshed.

Not sure how to take this information?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
michael1990 said:
My teacher for Information Technology yesterday, had stated that we should be going to sleep at around 1 or 2 am and getting up at 7am. He said that we should be sleeping when we are about to fall asleep as, it will give the brain relaxation and also a time for it to rest, but when we get up in the morning it will be refreshed.

Not sure how to take this information?
1) going to sleep at 2am and waking up at 7am, = 5 hours of sleep.
You will feel refreshed for around 2-3days and then you will wake up FULL ON DEAD TIRED.

P.S. My sleeping pattern is 3am - 3pm. NO JOKE !

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I've heard that teenagers naturally stay up later, but they also don't function properly until late afternoon.

5-6 hours sleep isn't enough though. Teenagers need more than that (which is the reason why so many teens sleep til the afternoon on weekends).

Personally my favourite sleeping pattern is 2am-12pm. I love sleeping during the day.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
teens ive heard need at least 10 hrs, but most of us dont even follow that rule.
Ive been staying up till the wee hours of the morning most of my teenage life, and i ended up coming home from school and taking 2-3 hr naps just to function and study during nighttime...not cool.

My sleeping pattern can vary...sleeping time is usually between 1-5am and waking up right up till sunset.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
tussitussa said:
I think that the best time to go to bed is 11pm.
Yeah that's what I want my bed time to be.

And yet here I am.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
scarybunny said:
Personally my favourite sleeping pattern is 2am-12pm. I love sleeping during the day.
This is my practical sleeping pattern, but not my favourite. If I can ever manage it, I love waking up at the crack of dawn in autumn, going for a walk in a tracksuit, watching breakfast TV and then later in the day, going to sleep just after Colbert has finished.

*sigh*

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I used to go to bed at any time between 8:30-10:00 max, throughout all of my school days.

Now i just go to bed at any random time, but i try to sleep early whenever i can.

tussitussa

HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
Yeah that's what I want my bed time to be.

And yet here I am.
Me too. I heard that you should be awake at around 6am because that's the perfect time for you to poop -- it's the optimal time for ur body to excrete shit. That's one good reason for us to go to bed earlier (say 10-11pm) so we can wake up in time for "pooping".

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
tussitussa said:
Me too. I heard that you should be awake at around 6am because that's the perfect time for you to poop -- it's the optimal time for ur body to excrete shit. That's one good reason for us to go to bed earlier (say 10-11pm) so we can wake up in time for "pooping".
I'm an afternoon pooper, possibly because it's after I've had some water so everything works nicely.

If I pooped in the morning I'd be late for work. If I had a job.

HSC
I have this horrible habit of sleeping in the afternoon straight after school for like 3 or 4 hours.

Then end up going to sleep at 3am and waking up at 7am.

Screws you up after awhile cos you're always tired in the arvos but dead awake at night. :(

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
thatsmystapler said:
I have this horrible habit of sleeping in the afternoon straight after school for like 3 or 4 hours.

Then end up going to sleep at 3am and waking up at 7am.

Screws you up after awhile cos you're always tired in the arvos but dead awake at night. :(
Yeah I'm a terrible napper, too. Especially on the couch. And I drool alot during naps.

Then I wake up at 7, starving and woozy. Come 1am I'm wide awake.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
going back to uni is going to rape me so hard as far as sleep goes. i'll still be going to bed at 3am...but having to wake up at like 6am...ugh. i've been trying to go to bed earlier but i know the only way it's gonna happen is after the first week of uni when i'll fall down dead at like 7pm. and everything will suddenly go back to a normal pattern after that.

i could have slept so late today. if my friend hadn't woken up before me and opened her roller shutter to let daylight in i'd probably still be there. :eek: it took like 4 hours, Hostel 2 and several cups of coffee before we even contemplated getting dressed let alone leaving the house/doing anything productive lol. and when we did finally leave the house we drove like 200 metres (yes, drove), to buy ham. and then went back to her place. soooo lazy.

Red Balloon

HSC
N/A
Teenagers need more sleep than that. *well I sure do.* It will stunt your brain development if you make a habit of it.

edit: on that note, I think it's bed-time.

quik.

HSC
I tend to function best somewhere around 6-8 hours a night. If I sleep too long I wake up feeling like absolute dogshit. I usually sleep in / have naps on Saturday though. Naps are the bombdiggity.

HSC
scarybunny said:
I'm with her on this.

I can't go to sleep until its way past 12 at night, probably because that's what I've been doing for years, and I just can't do anything else. And I usually wake up at 12-1pm.

The main thing is, waking up by yourself. If you don't wake up yourself (ie. You use timer, etc), then you aren't getting enough sleep, because you should still be sleeping when you wake up, as you automatically wake up when you don't require anymore sleep.

People try and counter having to wake up early by going to bed early. That probably works for some, but for people like me, this is an exercise in futility and results in epic fail, as I'd end up lying in bed for countless hours, regardless of anything, not being able to sleep.

So I think the best thing to do is to tough it out during the week, and catch up on sleep during the weekend. When studying/working, etc.

As for what that IT teacher said, well that's pretty much what I did for several years of my life, without many problems.

michael1990

HSC
Spoke to my Information Technology teacher today. (20/02/08)

He said just to clarify, we are talking about students undertaking there HSC, we are not talking about teenagers that are in year 7 or 9.

But Teenagers undertaking there HSC which are around the age of 16-18.

He has also told us that sleeping too long can make your brain slugish.
New information???

MICHAEL

NinjaSauce

HSC
Most people forget that staying up late is a only very recent trend in humans.

Remove electricity, and all the amenities that go with it, and you'll realize the world is pretty much pitch black between 6-8. 'Back in the day' sleeping from 8pm to 5-6am (sunrise) was what we had to do, because most people worked a labor-intensive job, and well, we couldn't see what we were doing in other times!

Regardless of this... i typically end up in bed around 12-1. But i really need to pull that back a bit to like 9-10 so i get enough sleep (9 hours) to wake and get to work.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
NinjaSauce said:
Most people forget that staying up late is a only very recent trend in humans.

Remove electricity, and all the amenities that go with it, and you'll realize the world is pretty much pitch black between 6-8. 'Back in the day' sleeping from 8pm to 5-6am (sunrise) was what we had to do, because most people worked a labor-intensive job, and well, we couldn't see what we were doing in other times!

Regardless of this... i typically end up in bed around 12-1. But i really need to pull that back a bit to like 9-10 so i get enough sleep (9 hours) to wake and get to work.
that's a good point. a few years ago we had a blackout that lasted nearly a week and by the time we had the power back on i was getting tired at like 8pm. i'd go to bed early out of boredom because without internet or tv or enough light to read by (candles don't really cut it, for me), there was nothing to do.

i was right back into my 'normal' sleep pattern afterwards, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)