smart/stupid idea? (1 Viewer)

over9k

HSC
i'm thinking of ditching the yr 11 course work and starting off yr 12 work, is this a bad idea?

some subjects im thinking about doing for:
  • ipt
  • biology
  • business
how important is the actual yr 11 work?
do you feel like you could've done the yr 12 course with 1/2 a years prelim knowledge of your content?
cause i heard we're not getting tested on prelim content next year.. hmm :/

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i thought for the IPT course, they test you on yr 12 work anyways so it wouldnt do any harm if you start preparing for the HSC course for IPT now
not sure about bio or business though

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
The Year 11 course builds the foundations upon which the Year 12 course is done, so it'd be a bit unwise to ditch year 11 work completely, even if only in the maths subjects does it form part of the HSC exam, but if you feel that you can cope with the missing term of foundation work in year 11, then by all means go for it. It's your HSC, your choice.

~untitled~

HSC
You could do it for bio. I didnt learn anything in year 11 bio, but am having no probs at all this year! Yay, lots of genetics (heaven)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, bio should not be a problem. Maths--don't, if you're doing it. Up to 30% (someone please clarify?) of the HSC paper can be on Year 11 work and anyway all your Year 12 work builds on Year 11.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
lala2 said:
Yeah, bio should not be a problem. Maths--don't, if you're doing it. Up to 30% (someone please clarify?) of the HSC paper can be on Year 11 work and anyway all your Year 12 work builds on Year 11.
Yeah, 30% of the general, 2 unit and extension 1 maths year 11 course can be tested in the HSC exams.

s2caz

just smile.
HSC
dont ditch business unless you know all the terms and meanings..etcetc
basically all the finance stuff you learn repeats in year 12..
all the others go into more depth.. from what i remember..
short term memory;; sorry~~
it wasnt even a year ago and i dont remember..
but yeah~~ i think you should stick to business for a little longer~~
its an easy subject.. just memorise and stuff..
but if you dont know the terms.. then >.<;;

morganforrest

HSC
nichhhole said:
you sound like myself in year 11.

honestly..
stop trying to raught the system/play the game covertly..

just do it.

the wya they teach you..

[though in hindsight i would have placed a much larger emphasis on improving my maths..]
mmmm i agree...imo you're much better off to have a solid base of understanding with which to launch into yr 12 rather than struggling through things now. Although in some subjects they dont specifically test the yr 11 work they definitely assume you konw it and can use it. I didnt/dont do any of ur subjects but in all of mine (particularly maths and modern) the stuff i learnt in yr 11 has played a major, albeit indirect, role in learning the hsc content.

I'd advise sticking with the yr 11 stuff as its taught. Dont be too keen to get into ur hsc, u'll be hating it next year so why expediate that process. Have fun this year refining your study techniques, and having fun. If you really feel compelled to get ahead, grab a yr 12 textbook and read it so you know whats coming, but honestly, u should have enough work to keep u busy.

ellen.louise

HSC
over9k said:
i'm thinking of ditching the yr 11 course work and starting off yr 12 work, is this a bad idea?

some subjects im thinking about doing for:
  • ipt
  • biology
  • business
how important is the actual yr 11 work?
do you feel like you could've done the yr 12 course with 1/2 a years prelim knowledge of your content?
cause i heard we're not getting tested on prelim content next year.. hmm :/
There's a reason for the prelim course. You need to know that stuff. If you can fit in additional study and start your year 12 prep as well, go for it. But it's better to build your foundations well.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
nichhhole said:
you sound like myself in year 11.

honestly..
stop trying to raught the system/play the game covertly..

just do it.

the wya they teach you..

[though in hindsight i would have placed a much larger emphasis on improving my maths..]
Smart girl.

There's no point trying to be different, i am almost 100% positive that it will come back to bite you soon enough.

That said, start studying your English texts now.

SoulSearcher said:
Yeah, 30% of the general, 2 unit and extension 1 maths year 11 course can be tested in the HSC exams.
What about Extension 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

jirwin

HSC
i think its a stupid idea to ditch the prelim course and start HSC now.

that being said, just to give u an idea, in the IPT prelim course, from what i remember, the third term (at my school), we did a group minor project. it was a waste of time for my class because no one did it properly, and because we were still at the junior campus (i was accelerated) we didn't have a teacher that was properly qualified to teach the course.

ellen.louise

HSC
anyway, you should be cherishing your life while you still have it. Yr 12 is the year for all-nighters. yr 11 you should keep you innocence and be out partying instead.

aussiechica7

HSC
just pass yr 11.
if u can do well in yr 12 without acing yr 11, go for it. i recommend u use this summer and do most of yr 12 (i.e. read all your texts, outline textbook chapters, do questions, etc.) and then u'll find yr 12 a little easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)