Snow Leopard (1 Viewer)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Ooooo... wow 6GB... Oh wait... Apple charge you like $600 for a 500GB HDD... when I can get 10 x 500GB HDDs for the same Price :uhhuh:
Its $320... but that doesn't matter, you can just go buy a 500GB HDDs cheaply and just put it in yourself (which is what everybody does)

So I can play COD:4 on OSX now? I can play C&C 3? I can run .exe files? I can get a decent AntiVirus for my computer now that Mac have hundres of viruses written for them? OSX now works out what components have driver problems etc?
umm, there is a COD4 mac version, and you can play cross-platform multiplayer games too :uhhuh:
not only that, theres also command&conquer 3 out for the mac as well
Everyone just thinks that mac doesn't run any good games, but all the major titles are on mac and its just as good as the PC copy
for the .exe files, just run bootcamp...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yeah but who wants a HDD in their mac? SSD + external HDD thanks :)

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
So I bought Snow Leopard about a week ago and some parts of it are nice but some parts are a little disappointing. What is disappointing is not much has changed. What is nice is that it takes up 6GB less disk space than Leopard.

Now if people are trying to say Windows 7 is great, just get a Mac and you'll realise that it has everything that 7 is bringing out. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been because they decided to get off their butts and create a new base for it instead of just basing it off the same thing that 2000 was built on. Vista was a big mistake. Windows 7 is their attempt to catch up to OS X.

Linux is good, it's free, but it does have its limits.
the reason you got 6GB more space is because it does not install all the printer drivers that you do not need like it did before lol

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Its $320... but that doesn't matter, you can just go buy a 500GB HDDs cheaply and just put it in yourself (which is what everybody does)

umm, there is a COD4 mac version, and you can play cross-platform multiplayer games too :uhhuh:
not only that, theres also command&conquer 3 out for the mac as well
Everyone just thinks that mac doesn't run any good games, but all the major titles are on mac and its just as good as the PC copy
for the .exe files, just run bootcamp...
sigh... If you install a MAC HDD yourself you void the warranty... If you build a PC yourself you don't void the warranty... and even if someone else built it... you just ask one of their qualified technicians to install the HDD as per your request.

Games for Mac are limited and the publisher has to create it for Mac... making it cost more... and Mac doesn't run alot of my favourite games.

And why run Bootcamp and go to all that effort? The Windows 7 install is so easy that my Mother was able to do it. Disk goes in... computer goes on... click "yes" a couple of times, click "I accept" etc... all done, drivers, everything done for you.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
so, noone actually answered the question. does anyone that has snow leopard think it is worth the 40$?

i don't want to hear your shit about how crap mac is or how good linux/windows are. i personally love my mac. i have no need to play shit computer games or use programs that aren't compatible with mac because, let's face it, these days most of them are.

windows is a piece of crap, it freezes, shuts itself down, etc etc. my computer has never frozen in the two years i've had it, and i used my sister's computer the other day (vista) and it froze on me while trying to install antivirus, conveniently just after it had taken about an hour to download the newest definitions etc, and ctrl+alt+del wouldn't even work. so it had to be turned off and i wasted another two hours of my life on that freaking computer. never ever again will i go back to windows.

so what if the windows 7 install is easy. pretty sure my leopard one took about fifteen minutes aswell, and that was a year ago. microsoft is just trying to get up with the times.

so, is snow leopard any good? and i'm asking for an answer from a mac person with snow leopard.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
sigh... If you install a MAC HDD yourself you void the warranty... If you build a PC yourself you don't void the warranty... and even if someone else built it... you just ask one of their qualified technicians to install the HDD as per your request.

Games for Mac are limited and the publisher has to create it for Mac... making it cost more... and Mac doesn't run alot of my favourite games.

And why run Bootcamp and go to all that effort? The Windows 7 install is so easy that my Mother was able to do it. Disk goes in... computer goes on... click "yes" a couple of times, click "I accept" etc... all done, drivers, everything done for you.
This is filled with so much bias and incorrect info but I'm afraid of turning this thread into a Windows vs Mac argument.
Simply put: No, customising your macbook will not void warranty - this includes installing an HDD. Hell, even configuring the optical drive into a second HDD won't void the warranty.
Games are limited but almost all recent and popular games are also designed for Mac. Bootcamp is extremely simple, giving the best of both worlds. The Mac does in fact have many advantages over Windows 7 and by using bootcamp, having a Macbook is a better alternative to having any other laptop. Desktop-wise I'd probably get a PC, but that's my opinion.

hermand said:
so, noone actually answered the question. does anyone that has snow leopard think it is worth the 40$?

i don't want to hear your shit about how crap mac is or how good linux/windows are. i personally love my mac. i have no need to play shit computer games or use programs that aren't compatible with mac because, let's face it, these days most of them are.

windows is a piece of crap, it freezes, shuts itself down, etc etc. my computer has never frozen in the two years i've had it, and i used my sister's computer the other day (vista) and it froze on me while trying to install antivirus, conveniently just after it had taken about an hour to download the newest definitions etc, and ctrl+alt+del wouldn't even work. so it had to be turned off and i wasted another two hours of my life on that freaking computer. never ever again will i go back to windows.

so what if the windows 7 install is easy. pretty sure my leopard one took about fifteen minutes aswell, and that was a year ago. microsoft is just trying to get up with the times.

so, is snow leopard any good? and i'm asking for an answer from a mac person with snow leopard.
My Macbook came with Snow Leopard (not pre-installed but with the installation CD) so I don't really know what Leopard is like. I can say I love this OS and aside from some obstacles (like deactivating mouse acceleration and whatnot), it's been great.

Also, my Macbook took me less than 5 minutes to set up. Snow Leopard took another 5 minutes to install. The hardest part was figuring out how to click (didn't realise that the trackpad was a button)

It's only $40. Might as well get it if it means upgrading your laptop?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i tried to convince my mum the other day and she was like, wait, why do we need this? and didn't get it. it's annoying because the family pack has three licences but we have two macs in the house. so we have to get two single ones =[.

i want a new oneeeeee =[[. haha. i'm running out of space on it atm. no idea what to delete to free some up though.

when the next new one comes out/new OX comes out i might get one. i'll save up and the second a new one comes out, BAM. =].

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'l be able to get my netbook soon and I was thinking of getting OSX onto it... but I don't think I'll bother with all the hassle

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'l be able to get my netbook soon and I was thinking of getting OSX onto it... but I don't think I'll bother with all the hassle....

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
it is clearly a service pack so no it is not worth 40 bucks i think i said earlier XPSP2 had more features added then Snow leopard

sounds like a crap computer i was using windows 7 on my netbook it was speedy never shut itself down and never froze, tbh i don't think i have ever heard of a case where windows shuts itself down other then thermal events and hardware problems. Sounds like you are not using windows on a decent computer but a computer with crappy specs

from what i have heard from mac people and reviews, it still has compatibility issues and stuff and there is no reason to rush out and get it

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Simply put: No, customising your macbook will not void warranty - this includes installing an HDD. Hell, even configuring the optical drive into a second HDD won't void the warranty.
That's gotta be the DUMBEST business decision ever.

"Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs."

Games are limited but almost all recent and popular games are also designed for Mac.
Woop, now all they need is a decent Graphics card... I mean what? And a reasonable price tag... ;)

Bootcamp is extremely simple, giving the best of both worlds.
To a point... any virtualisation or dual boot software is going to run into issues... which I have run into on multiple occasions.

The Mac does in fact have many advantages over Windows 7
False, It's better at certain things.

and by using bootcamp, having a Macbook is a better alternative to having any other laptop.
True... Mac laptops are far superior construction.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
That's gotta be the DUMBEST business decision ever.

"Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs."
..Exactly, that's what I said? It won't void your warranty. You don't expect the company to pay for what you broke while trying to upgrade do you? Normally companies (virtually all PC manufacturers) will void your warranty if you touch the insides of the computer at all.

Woop, now all they need is a decent Graphics card... I mean what? And a reasonable price tag... ;)
Macbooks have excellent GPUs especially for a laptop. But as I said earlier, if I was getting a desktop, I'd definitely settle for a PC (I'd build it into a gaming machine, which is not what Macs are used for)

But yeah, I believe boot camp has been refined to be almost perfect. With boot camp 3 (comes with Snow Leopard), virtually all issues should be resolved.

hermand said:
i tried to convince my mum the other day and she was like, wait, why do we need this? and didn't get it. it's annoying because the family pack has three licences but we have two macs in the house. so we have to get two single ones =[.

i want a new oneeeeee =[[. haha. i'm running out of space on it atm. no idea what to delete to free some up though.

when the next new one comes out/new OX comes out i might get one. i'll save up and the second a new one comes out, BAM. =].
Do yourself a favour and get yourself an external HDD before you get Snow Leopard. Sounds like you need the extra space.
As if wait for a new OS! Won't come out for a while. Save up ten dollars a week for a month and buy it :) Think of it this way: you're paying $40 to upgrade the machine that costs thousands.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Do yourself a favour and get yourself an external HDD before you get Snow Leopard. Sounds like you need the extra space.
As if wait for a new OS! Won't come out for a while. Save up ten dollars a week for a month and buy it :) Think of it this way: you're paying $40 to upgrade the machine that costs thousands.
i have 13GB left. and a time capsule. thinking of deleting all the old things that i don't need cause it will keep them on there yeah?

nah i meant laptop, or OS. i think i'll wait for the next macbook upgrade and get either a macbook air or pro. i have a two year old black macbook 2,1. upgraded from tiger (i think - the last one afore leopard, i can't remember and cbb looking it up.)

i think i'll get one with more space, don't necessarily need a bigger screen or anything.

ah well. i'll just wait for the apple convention next year =]. hopefully something will come out!

Majimaune

HSC
My answer to this question is both yes and no. It you like to have all the latest everythings then yeah, go for it it has some nice new things but otherwise Leopard does a fine job. But then again, it is only $40 and if you think about it, what would you generally spend that $40 on? Booze? Exactly. I paid for Snow Leopard with part of my tax that I got back. So if you have $40 that you weren't planning on spending on anything else, go for it, otherwise save the money and use it for killing your liver.

Oh and if you are a person such as myself and doesn't use their laptop for gaming the day away, Macbook Pro with 250HHD and 4GB RAM is very very good

Last edited:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
i have 13GB left. and a time capsule. thinking of deleting all the old things that i don't need cause it will keep them on there yeah?

nah i meant laptop, or OS. i think i'll wait for the next macbook upgrade and get either a macbook air or pro. i have a two year old black macbook 2,1. upgraded from tiger (i think - the last one afore leopard, i can't remember and cbb looking it up.)

i think i'll get one with more space, don't necessarily need a bigger screen or anything.

ah well. i'll just wait for the apple convention next year =]. hopefully something will come out!
if you have a big enough time capsule, you should be fine. and i'm pretty sure the 1st gen time capsule still works with time machine on snow leopard (if you decide to get it :))
also the next macbook upgrade most likely wont be coming until june-ish next year during WWDC (but you never know, apple always surprises) + apple pulled out of the macworld expo (so don't expect anything at the beginning of the year).. though theres rumours going around about a new apple tablet device that might pop up in the 1st quarter next year...

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
My answer to this question is both yes and no. It you like to have all the latest everythings then yeah, go for it it has some nice new things but otherwise Leopard does a fine job. But then again, it is only $40 and if you think about it, what would you generally spend that $40 on? Booze? Exactly. I paid for Snow Leopard with part of my tax that I got back. So if you have $40 that you weren't planning on spending on anything else, go for it, otherwise save the money and use it for killing your liver.

Oh and if you are a person such as myself and doesn't use their laptop for gaming the day away, Macbook Pro with 250HHD and 4GB RAM is very very good
haha, i don't really drink. i think i'll put the $40 towards my savings fund for my new laptop instead. not that it will make much difference haha. hopefully my interest helps out.

if you have a big enough time capsule, you should be fine. and i'm pretty sure the 1st gen time capsule still works with time machine on snow leopard (if you decide to get it :))
also the next macbook upgrade most likely wont be coming until june-ish next year during WWDC (but you never know, apple always surprises) + apple pulled out of the macworld expo (so don't expect anything at the beginning of the year).. though theres rumours going around about a new apple tablet device that might pop up in the 1st quarter next year...
june next year gives me ample time to save up enough money for it. that would actually be perfect timing imo. =]. not keen on tablet computers for some reason. think i'll go for a macbook pro. hmm.

thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)