• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

So, I am shitting myself. (1 Viewer)

calslut

Banned
HSC
Today the head of english came up to me and said that we need to have a talk, we're having it tomorrow. Apparently something isn't right with my assessment tasks essay, they believe something is plagiarised.

I am shitting bricks because nothing is plagiarised, and if i can't prove it my mark is pretty much fucked. My introduction was moulded from an exemplar response and changed after my teacher (I handed it in 2 weeks before it was due to get an opinion) suggested I change it a bit more, I told her where I got it from etc.

Has anyone been in this situation? I'm worried as, because if I can't prove that it's all my own work, and it is, I spent two fucking weekends on it (it was seriously the most effort I have ever put into an assessment), I am up shit creek without a paddle.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Crap.

But how do they know that you plagiarised? They have to prove that.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Don't worry, if you know for sure you haven't plagiarised, nothing to worry about.

I mean, thousdans of kids do essays every year, there will always be one odd case where a work is similar to another person (on the internet or from previous worK0.

calslut

Banned
HSC
That's what I want to know. The exemplar response which I moulded my intro off was given to us in class, but I changed it and my teacher said it was fine...

Oh fuck, I helped two people out by showing them two paragraphs I had written to give them an idea, if they have actually used them and it's because of that I am going to be mega pissed... but if it is the school would believe me over them, so I don't know.

calslut

Banned
HSC
My school isn't anal, they have no policy like that that I know of.

I didn't reference it at all because it was an Adv. English essay, all I did was tell my teacher where I got my intro paragraph from when I handed it in to be checked over, after which she suggested I change it some more, which I did.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Just tell him your teacher looked over it.

It sucks that you have to sleep on it. >.>

jackattack

HSC
N/A
oh this is bullshit.

they can't ask you to 'prove' it's your own work, because how does that work? it's fucking english, it's not like you can print out all the research you did. they'd be the ones who would need to have sufficient evidence of you plagiarising. and since you didn't, they won't. it's probably just a suspicion because the whole thing sounded really pro, explain about the introduction and get your teacher to back you up and it'll all be peachy.

or you can just pray he'll get barred up and start thinking with his other head when you tell him his hair looks pretty while the fans are on.

calslut

Banned
HSC
yeah, i am seriously annoyed, like you said jacqui it was pretty.. intellectual? i guess, but that was only because i spent so long on it, i have a feeling they are sus as because last week when i had the flu and we did an in class one, i only got 15/20 and it was shit as, that and i used the whole explanation out the front of the class as a bit of a joke because it didn't count towards to mark in any way...

haha it's a she, i hope so :(

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
calslut said:
I am shitting bricks because nothing is plagiarised, and if i can't prove it my mark is pretty much fucked. .
Not necessarily.
They should be proving your work is plagerised ( although its not )
remind of that.

At my school, my teacher encourages me to read past essays and memorise them. Because its english and people can't trademark opinions.

bassistx

HSC
They have to prove it's not yours, not the other way around. They just type it in a search engine and see what comes up. That's the first thing I'd do, to see if there was anything similar online etc.
I got a D for a science assessment in year 9 or 10 because it was "too advanced for a year 9/10 student" (it was about the Big Bang theory and I went into detail about singularity). I took it up with the head teacher and he typed it in google and said he found stuff that was similar. Bloody hell, I included a biliography and everything. He said he'd give me an F if I didn't take it and leave.
But yeah. Just search and see what comes up. It's complete coincidence sometimes.

ccc123

HSC
risole91 said:
Not necessarily.
They should be proving your work is plagerised ( although its not )
remind of that.

At my school, my teacher encourages me to read past essays and memorise them. Because its english and people can't trademark opinions.

srs?

bassistx

HSC
lol... Our art teacher gave us what he called "the perfect essay", told us to memorise it, and wants us to regurgitate it word for word the next lesson hahahaha.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
bassistx said:
They have to prove it's not yours, not the other way around.
thats write, what she said.
You have nothng to worry about.
Just chillax

bassistx LOL @ your sig michael is not a smart cookie.

bassistx

HSC
risole91 said:
thats write, what she said.
You have nothng to worry about.
Just chillax

bassistx LOL @ your sig michael is not a smart cookie.
:O What's this? You agree with me? lol
Michael is the most stupid mofo I've ever come across. Really gets on my nerves. At least I can spell better lol.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
ccc123 said:
Yeah, i think its fair enough.
He is a HSC marker and has said that when marking some selective schools, he will read the same essay 20 times, and it will be perfect ( obviously written by a teacher or something ).

He cant mark them down because there all the same.

So he sayd just memorise a perfect written essay, and you have the ability to change the topic sentences ect to better suit the question.

ccc123

HSC
risole91 said:
Yeah, i think its fair enough.
He is a HSC marker and has said that when marking some selective schools, he will read the same essay 20 times, and it will be perfect ( obviously written by a teacher or something ).

He cant mark them down because there all the same.

So he sayd just memorise a perfect written essay, and you have the ability to change the topic sentences ect to better suit the question.
Hmm yeah. I don;t really agree with memorising someone else's work word for word, but i guess nothing is really original when it comes down to it.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
bassistx said:
:O What's this? You agree with me? lol
Michael is the most stupid mofo I've ever come across. Really gets on my nerves. At least I can spell better lol.
Well the point your making is quite valid, it makes sense. Plagerism is so deep, there is so much work, creating something 'new' is hard.

And i don't disagree with you on anything-bar politics lol.

I also agree with you on Michael, he has no idea about anything- we go to school together.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Whilst they should be proving it's plagiarised rather than you proving it's not, I'm pretty sure the school isn't interested in playing the Adversarial Legal System game.
that is true to a degree.
But a school rally should be.
Its their responsibility to educate students and they should know whether or not a student has plagerised or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)