So my teacher said this is how the ATAR is calculated, true or false? (1 Viewer)

jonny94

HSC
Is this true? or is it just talk? Mind you the teacher that told me this has over 30 years experience.

He said internal marks (Trials + School work) just make up a Rank.

While the actual HSC makes a mark.

Your rank and mark are someway calculated together to create your ATAR.

Example 1:
If your getting 40-60% in your internals and you get Band 4/5s the HSC you will get scaled very well. So if you were calculated at a 50 ATAR from your ranks you can be boosted by 10-20 ATAR points.

Example 2:
Getting 90%+ in your externals, but you ruin your HSC by getting Band 4s or under you can be dropped from a predicted 95 ATAR to a 70 ATAR.

So basically the higher your internals your external will be sensitive to react and to be dropped

If you low internals and magically do 2x as well in your externals your ATAR in scaled very well.

Anyone agree?

enoilgam

HSC
Is this true? or is it just talk? Mind you the teacher that told me this has over 30 years experience.

He said internal marks (Trials + School work) just make up a Rank.

While the actual HSC makes a mark.

Your rank and mark are someway calculated together to create your ATAR.

Example 1:
If your getting 40-60% in your internals and you get Band 4/5s the HSC you will get scaled very well. So if you were calculated at a 50 ATAR from your ranks you can be boosted by 10-20 ATAR points.

Example 2:
Getting 90%+ in your externals, but you ruin your HSC by getting Band 4s or under you can be dropped from a predicted 95 ATAR to a 70 ATAR.

So basically the higher your internals your external will be sensitive to react and to be dropped

If you low internals and magically do 2x as well in your externals your ATAR in scaled very well.

Anyone agree?
Its not totally off track, but its not very accurate niether.

jonny94

HSC
Its not totally off track, but its not very accurate niether.
I see... the only reason I asked was I really never studied and Im hoping to do well in the Trials (30% of internals) and blitz the HSC so I can get a half decent ATAR.

enoilgam

HSC
I see... the only reason I asked was I really never studied and Im hoping to do well in the Trials (30% of internals) and blitz the HSC so I can get a half decent ATAR.
The trials and HSC make up the bulk of your mark, so your teacher is right in that you have more then enough time to turn things around.

jonny94

HSC
The trials and HSC make up the bulk of your mark, so your teacher is right in that you have more then enough time to turn things around.
True, I dont even want a high ATAR I just want 65-70

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, your school moderated mark and your HSC exam make up your overall HSC mark each contributing with a 50:50 ratio.

You have your cohort, right? And at the end of the year, you get marks and a rank. Your assessment mark will be placed based on where your rank and mark are in the cohort relative to others when comparing with HSC exam marks. Your relative mark against HSC marks of your cohort will toss out your assessment mark.

Your exam mark is based purely on your externals on the day and your school has 0 effect on this.

To get your HSC (final) mark, they just average your moderated assessment mark and your exam mark.

sidra112

HSC
So if you're doing just alright in your ranks right now, like not bad but not great either, but you do really well in the externals, you can still get a high atar?

enoilgam

HSC
So if you're doing just alright in your ranks right now, like not bad but not great either, but you do really well in the externals, you can still get a high atar?
Possibly. It depends on a variety of other factors as well.

D94

HSC
N/A
Those scenarios are very oversimplified. It's not as straightforward as that. Internal marks are moderated (or equivocally, scaled), according to how well you perform in the HSC as a cohort. The highest/lowest HSC exam marks very much affects the mark you will receive as your final internal mark. How you perform internally in terms of how many raw marks you gain also is important in the calculation.

jonny94

HSC
Well, your school moderated mark and your HSC exam make up your overall HSC mark each contributing with a 50:50 ratio.

You have your cohort, right? And at the end of the year, you get marks and a rank. Your assessment mark will be placed based on where your rank and mark are in the cohort relative to others when comparing with HSC exam marks. Your relative mark against HSC marks of your cohort will toss out your assessment mark.

Your exam mark is based purely on your externals on the day and your school has 0 effect on this.

To get your HSC (final) mark, they just average your moderated assessment mark and your exam mark.
Those scenarios are very oversimplified. It's not as straightforward as that. Internal marks are moderated (or equivocally, scaled), according to how well you perform in the HSC as a cohort. The highest/lowest HSC exam marks very much affects the mark you will receive as your final internal mark. How you perform internally in terms of how many raw marks you gain also is important in the calculation.
So for me, if Im in the bottom 10-20% of my subjects which I am :( and I get Band 5/6s in my HSC can I get a ATAR of 65-70 or beyond?

D94

HSC
N/A
So for me, if Im in the bottom 10-20% of my subjects which I am :( and I get Band 5/6s in my HSC can I get a ATAR of 65-70 or beyond?
It's possible, you still need to work for it. It's up to your abilities; one might say 70 ATAR is easy, whilst another may struggle to get 50 ATAR. But certainly if you believe you can get 80-90 in the HSC, then 65-70 ATAR is very possible.

enoilgam

HSC
This, its impossible to tell with these vague scenarios. I hate to sound blunt, but we cant answer questions like "if I did bad internally, but good externally can I get an ok ATAR". Added to the fact that there are quite a few variables to consider, we dont know what you mean by "bad internally", "good externally" or "ok ATAR" - they arent values we can work with at all.

swifty13

HSC
I've heard that although the trial usually counts for around 30% of the internal mark for most schools - the board of studies arranges it so that the trial is practically 100% of the internal... is this true? Cause people have time me that they screwed up their half yearlies and aced trials and still did amazing

enoilgam

HSC
I've heard that although the trial usually counts for around 30% of the internal mark for most schools - the board of studies arranges it so that the trial is practically 100% of the internal... is this true? Cause people have time me that they screwed up their half yearlies and aced trials and still did amazing
No, thats completely false.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
I don't understand all this confusion. Who cares how ATAR is calculated? Just study your best and let the UAC worry about the ATAR for you. Suppose you knew everything about how the ATAR is calculated, and even knew the scaling formula despite it being kept a secret by the UAC. Does this affect your ATAR in any way? Does having more knowledge of how it works suddenly make you perform better in the HSC?

flower3000

HSC
ok so right now my ranks are average however in one subjects Im coming 1st in and another 2nd in is it still possible for me to get an atar of above 96 if i get band 6's in the HSC external exams

enoilgam

HSC
I don't understand all this confusion. Who cares how ATAR is calculated? Just study your best and let the UAC worry about the ATAR for you. Suppose you knew everything about how the ATAR is calculated, and even knew the scaling formula despite it being kept a secret by the UAC. Does this affect your ATAR in any way? Does having more knowledge of how it works suddenly make you perform better in the HSC?
This. Its ok to be curious about how moderation/scaling works, but too many people obsess over it. At the end of the day, you have no control over this. Its far better to focus on the things you can control (study etc).

D94

HSC
N/A
ok so right now my ranks are average however in one subjects Im coming 1st in and another 2nd in is it still possible for me to get an atar of above 96 if i get band 6's in the HSC external exams
Of course, why not?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

As the BOS only get one mark per student per course the simple answer is 'no'.

All that is sent to the BOS is one full mark - not the marks and percentages for each task.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)