so who's doing History Extension? (1 Viewer)

Artemis.

HSC
I'd probably do it if my school ran it. But they don't, and I doubt they will next year :(

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
I would like too, but my teachers say that they would only let students with a mark of 85+ in both Ancient and Modern.. and im around a low 70s

Im currently doing both Ancient and Modern. :)

cmk

HSC
yay~ first post.

hey guys i did history ext last year for the hsc and i can truly say i enjoyed it to an extent.

In yr 12 our grade had 3 modern and 2 ancient classes. Starting out, the history ext class had around 25-30 kids but by the end of the 1st month or so we ended up with 11. Our hist faculty didnt really mind if u did bad in ur hist classes.

The kids that ended up staying did really well and our lowest mark was a E3 (band 5). I'd say if you enjoy writing shitloads, doing readings and doing lots of discussions about history, then this is the course for you.

For us it was 2 hours a week (2x1hr morning classes) and you got to learn about the history of history, all the historians and how this is related to today and alot of that kind of stuff. JFK is also really interesting but i must warn there is alot of content and essay writing.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
cmk,

Did you attend Sefton? Those stats are pretty similar to the ones at Sefton, which has had a great record in achieving highly in history extension. My modern history teacher teaches it, and he's awesome.

At my school we do appeasement. So yeah, it sounds interesting.

slowjam10

HSC
mercreature said:
oh and i'm doing mod at the moment... anyone else doing an incredibly scary assessment task... involving a 40 minute presentation, 1500 word essay, and 600 word essay? due 1st week back...

EEEEK

*runs off screaming*
lol i'll run off screaming with you. I have a scary assessment task which i woudl have worked on earlier but i ahve been sick for all of teh holidays so far sigh. My Historical Investigation is a 1250 word essay (handwritten, footnoted gaaaaaaaa :burn::burn:) and a 3 minute powerpoint presentation. Obviously not as scary as yours but still quite daunting and its due second day back.

I really wanted to have had it done but i had to go and get sick ...its all Transformers fault going out on Friday night and seeing it ..it was funny though.

Ohh yeah currently i do Ancient and Modern History ... Ancient is cool ....Modern is cool but Russians are a bit out there:eek:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
AHHHH Romanovs are so boring
Haha, some parts make me :sleep:. But learning about Rasputin and his mischievous deeds was pretty interesting.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Heck yes am I doing history extension!
Hear the scaling is crap though...
Anyone care to elaborate?

S.Yong

HSC
I'm currently doing modern history and doing pretty well. =) I've been considering extension history since my teacher told us about it in year ten, but now i'm not so sure. Writing a hell of a lot has never been my strength.

You guys say you need a high level of english - so would advanced english be enough?

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
S.Yong said:
I'm currently doing modern history and doing pretty well. =) I've been considering extension history since my teacher told us about it in year ten, but now i'm not so sure. Writing a hell of a lot has never been my strength.

You guys say you need a high level of english - so would advanced english be enough?
For sure. But if writing isn't your strength maybe you should think twice about whether it would be wise to do it. Ultimately your choice though.
=)
Good luck.

S.Yong

HSC
I know i have the marks for it, but maybe i just need practice. I'm going to try it next year anyway.

Thanks, zdzislaw. =)
Good luck to you too.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
S.Yong said:
I know i have the marks for it, but maybe i just need practice. I'm going to try it next year anyway.

Thanks, zdzislaw. =)
Good luck to you too.
Oh..then in that case go for it.
What school you at?

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Kellyville high.
I like to think I do reasonably well. =)
What you want to do when you leave?

S.Yong

HSC
That's an entirely different matter! haha. I like all my subjects but at the moment i'm leaning towards science. So maybe a uni degree in science?

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Sure is =)
I'm leaning towards commerce/law cadetship. You know. =)
msn?
pm me

Zephyrio

HSC
OMG. Hey S.Yong :D

I know you!

Yeah you should do history extension.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Alot of people seem to know each other in these forums :)

Is the Extension course dominated by Historiography?

S.Yong

HSC
I know you too Zephyrio! You do the same subjects I do.

But i'm just a tad bit scared of the workload. =P

cmk

HSC
Hey guys

To answer some of your questions.
*You don't need to be super at english but reasonably good. If ure doing eng
adv then that should be good enough.
*Hist ext actually scales quite decently as our class experienced. Just do well and you should be fine.

From memory there were some nights where I would get really frustrated at the work. Theres alot of content. You do alot of historiography but its quite interesting. You begin with Herodotus and finish with the modern historians. Theres all this stuff on how history is meant to be a 'science' and you really learn the philosophy behind it.
Second part is JFK regarding his life in and out of politics. That's cool too and we watched some documentaries and a movie on it.

Oh and there is the major work... but anyhoo gudluck with ur choices

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)