Soft Eng / Commerce =D (1 Viewer)

Kd14

HSC
Hey there, I'm a year 12 student and was wondering if I could get inputs on people doing this particular course, or at least Soft Eng.

And how does Soft Eng compare with Com Sci. I know there's a lot of threads here, but I want more insight from people.

Thanks. =D

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
There's plenty of soft/eng commerce people. Actually, I think that's the majority of the soft eng double degree'ers..

I was about to do commerce until I did acct 1A, and, well I changed my mind. But then I'm about to change my mind again, and probably resume commerce next year :/

As for software engineering, well, seng @ unsw, I doubt you'll EVER get something similar outside. I really really doubt it. The amount of workload is big, however don't be discouraged. It's certainly worth it.

One observation i've noticed amongst seng students are that they either "get it" or "not get it". For those who "gets it", things are easy, and for those who don't, it's not easy.

btw, in my opinion, seng = computer science + formal methods + requirements engineering + teamwork/communication skills

ace

is retired
HSC
uts, you summed it up pretty well

GO SENG!

my two cents, seng/commerce are two different degrees in nature (but good together), since it can open many more avenues for yourself later on

Kd14

HSC
underthesun said:
There's plenty of soft/eng commerce people. Actually, I think that's the majority of the soft eng double degree'ers..

I was about to do commerce until I did acct 1A, and, well I changed my mind. But then I'm about to change my mind again, and probably resume commerce next year :/

As for software engineering, well, seng @ unsw, I doubt you'll EVER get something similar outside. I really really doubt it. The amount of workload is big, however don't be discouraged. It's certainly worth it.

One observation i've noticed amongst seng students are that they either "get it" or "not get it". For those who "gets it", things are easy, and for those who don't, it's not easy.

btw, in my opinion, seng = computer science + formal methods + requirements engineering + teamwork/communication skills
Thanks for that. What does that bolded statement mean? Sorry.. =.=

And with changing your mind about certain courses, is it as simple as "Hey school staff dude, I wanna do this subject."

And also, careerwise, which one's good? Seng or ComSci?

gman03

HSC
Kd14 said:
Thanks for that. What does that bolded statement mean? Sorry.. =.=

And with changing your mind about certain courses, is it as simple as "Hey school staff dude, I wanna do this subject."

And also, careerwise, which one's good? Seng or ComSci?
1. I think he means that there are LOT of works for Seng in UNSW than in say UTS or USyd.

2. No you will have to go through dull and boring UAC application stuff so get your degree right first go.

3. Seng, unless you are a more mathematical orientated person.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Yeah, once upon a time, me and my seng team was on the labs until 12:00 at night finishing up one of the deliverables. As the labs closed and we went out, we realised that other people who went out were also doing seng, but 3rd year ones :p

and yeah, i have to take care of those applications :(

grimreaper

HSC
I do first year seng\commerce and yes, its very difficult but I think itll be worth it in the end. I doubt youll find a uni for better computer degrees in sydney, or even nsw for that matter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)