Solve this Riddle IF you can! (1 Viewer)

krayzie_

HSC
I need help with this riddle. =\

You might need a pencil and paper, I'm stuck!

"A well known explorer left his camp early one morning and walked straight south for exactly ten miles. He then turned left and walked another ten miles straight east. By this time he was becoming tired, so he stopped for lunch. After he ate and rested he bagan walking straight north. After nine miles of walking he was so weary he could hardly move. As he stopped to rest he told himself, "I'm glad camp is only one mile farther, because I'm so tired I couldn't go on much more than that.""

How could this famous explorer be correct in saying his camp was only one mile away?

Prize goes to the first person who solves it! :D

G

Gavvvvvin

He lugs around his tent on his back and camps wherever the fuck it pleases him.

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
Musk said:
10m south
10m west
10m east
9m north

d^2 = (10-10)^2 + ( 10-9) ^2

d = 1
maybe this guy's right?
as by "left" maybe it means our "left" not the explorer's..
left(west) for ten.. and another ten for east...
then north again..?

..just a thought.

krayzie_

HSC
Hahah, in the riddle he walks south then east then he walks directly north. Hence if he walked north after he walked east/west he would still be more then 1Mile away from his base camp.

If he walked towards our left he would be walking west, however in the riddle it says he walked ten miles directly east.

Its a hard one, however saying that - this is my little year 7 brother's homework for english. =s

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
krayzie_ said:
Its a hard one, however saying that - this is my little year 7 brother's homework for english. =s

hahhahha! i sure hope this doesn't come out in the HSC for math! :rofl:

origami hero

HSC
what about an equilateral triangle?
that is, the guy walked south from the camps perspective and east from the perspective of the turning point and then north from the perspective of looking on a map

HSC
the equilateral triangle idea can only happen if the camp is at the north pole, as previously mentioned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)