Some help on my responsive Speech on Socrates (1 Viewer)

Tez

Hi all...

I have an english assessment which involves writing a response to a speech that i have just heard (Socrates No evil can happen).

It seemed quite straight forward at first until I read the Outcomes being assessed.

This is the one im having trouble with...

H1. A student explains and evaluates the effects of different contexts of responders and composers on texts.

My question is... How can I talk about context when im in the context of the speech and how can I talk about different contexts?

How should I come about doing this???

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
there are two contexts:
- audience of his time (senators)
- modern audience (us)

you have to talk about the predominant views of Socrates' time, prejudices, recent events that came to his disadvantage (circumtextual) etc. and how they differ from now. we were brought up with different values - how does that affect our response?

effects of composer: e.g. what was his real motive - to save his life, speak to us as a modern audience? how did his personality/values affect his speech?

effects of responder: time, values, recent events..

hope that helps!

Last edited:

Tez

How is this for the intro and convering context so far??

Good day to all of you here in the jury.

Before I begin to express my views upon Socratesf speech, please allow me first to introduce myself. My name is Platus Kamiliaus, a poet to whom have published many works for all to ponder and converse. For many years I have witnessed countless trials of those who have been accused of committing a crime, and for many years I have sat through and studied those apologies presented by even the most pitiless of criminals. Surely, ladies and gentlemen you will lend me your time cand your ears to hear what I must say.

I wish to direct your minds to the past that many of you will recall all the masses of devastation and confusion that took place. As you all know, the Athenian way of democracy was not easily maintained and the massacre left by the Spartan War only combined with the tradegy of its identity as a flourishing city whom valued free speech and success.

It came to no surprise to many that after several changes in regime and power over the years that some citizens would begin to question the beliefs we hold today. One of whom is, Socratescaccused for impiety today. This history, gentlemen moulds the values we hold present in our minds and ultimately effect the way we interpret issues.

I dare say, that perhaps in a different worldcfar different than this onecSocratesf ideas and way of life will be widely accepted for all the righteousness that it holds currently considered as a crime.

But we must redirect our perspective back to the world we live in today.

Thanks for the help before btw...

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
good. :) you're off to a good start!

"As you all know, the Athenian way of democracy was not easily maintained and the massacre left by the Spartan War only combined with the tradegy of its identity as a flourishing city whom valued free speech and success."

^maybe this might help a little:
you could consider using more typical speech techniques so it sounds less essay-like. e.g. rhetorical questions, inclusive language, emotive language, language appropriate to the audience

e.g. maybe something like.." o athenians, we have lost our identity as a flourishing city whom valued free speech and success. yes, our democracy has been long been troubled. yes, we have been wounded by the massacre of the spartan war. but must we direct all our grievances on this one man whom speaks for the very thing that we hold true?"
this probably wasn't what you were intending to say..but just so you get me.. :)

good luck!

Tez

ooo that sounds like the extra flair i need to make it sound interesting..

thanks alot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)