Some newbie questions... (1 Viewer)

NichNich

HSC
Hiyas all,

I'm gonna be a first year student at Newwy this year, just have some noob questions which I hope I can get a brief answer to, any help will be much appreciated!

1) Is the orientation week really important? I'm going to miss out on it since I'm overseas. Is there anyone I need to contact to tell them that I'm going to be away for the orientation of my course? (I'm doing med).

2) My course does not give me the timetables... nor does my elective that I chose... Am I supposed to? If not, when should I expect to get it? I'm worried cos my elective might collide with my course timetables. And do I get to choose my preferred time for my classes?

3) When must I pay my my part upfront payment of HECS? (Yes I elected to do this) and how about my general contribution fees? Must I do it at the student center?

4) Where are the computer labs? (Yes I'm an idiot, but I'm going to miss out orientation, so I have no clue where everything is :( ) And do I get full access at all times? Is it usually crowded?

5) Anything else I need to do since I'm going to miss out O- week?

Sorry for the noob questions, any help will be great!

Many thanks in advance!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
1. o-week isnt that important...just make sure you grab yourself a map

2. check it out online.. do a course search.. im not sure of the address.. but it should have timetables there...

3. you'll get a hecs invoice as well as your GSC so dont stress about that so much just yet

4. computer labs... AIC (under the auchmuty library, shortland side), in the CT building (adjacent to the maths bus stop), huxley library (but the computers are quite slow) and i think there are some in enhineering but they could be restricted to enginerring students... any others ive missed?.. and yeah they are usually quite crowded in the middle of the day... early morning is ok tho

5. you'll miss the FREE STUFF!!!

hope this helps!
SJ

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
PookieMonster said:
oh and do u only have to roll up on the day of ur faculty thingy?

It seems like it.

Mon - Current and Prospective Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and other interested people are invited to attend.

Tues -INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ORIENTATION SESSION
- NEWSTEP AND OPEN FOUNDATION

Wednesday - Back to Study – Survival Skills for Mature Age Students
- Rural and On-Campus Residential Students.
-2:00 – 4:00 University – What’s It All About? Lecture Theatre 2 (Map Ref G-8)
OR An informal discussion aimed at giving new students and their families an insight into University life and its
6:00 – 8:00 expectations. A panel of staff and students will answer questions and give information designed to help
(repeat students settle in and succeed. Commencing students, parents and/or family members are invited to
session) attend. Please register for either workshop by phoning the Student Support Unit on 02 4348 4060 before
Monday 14 February.

Thursday - Everyone

Friday - International Students, Rural Students and On-Campus Residents’ Excursion

So I am guessing that thursday is the day to go , but you could also go wednesday

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:
It seems like it.

Mon - Current and Prospective Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and other interested people are invited to attend.

Tues -INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ORIENTATION SESSION
- NEWSTEP AND OPEN FOUNDATION

Wednesday - Back to Study – Survival Skills for Mature Age Students
- Rural and On-Campus Residential Students.
-2:00 – 4:00 University – What’s It All About? Lecture Theatre 2 (Map Ref G-8)
OR An informal discussion aimed at giving new students and their families an insight into University life and its
6:00 – 8:00 expectations. A panel of staff and students will answer questions and give information designed to help
(repeat students settle in and succeed. Commencing students, parents and/or family members are invited to
session) attend. Please register for either workshop by phoning the Student Support Unit on 02 4348 4060 before
Monday 14 February.

Thursday - Everyone

Friday - International Students, Rural Students and On-Campus Residents’ Excursion

So I am guessing that thursday is the day to go , but you could also go wednesday
r u talking bout the same uni (newi) cos on friday the 18th i have my faculty of education and arts thing
not what u said.

NichNich

HSC
Many thanks for the replies!

I'm considering in getting a laptop for uni... and was wondering whether I can use it to download stuff using the uni's internet. If so, where do I find a plug where I can connect to the internet from my laptop? And what kind of plug is it? (yes, I'm a damn laptop idiot lol) If I can connect my laptop to the uni's internet, I can download anything I'd like right? lol

Thanks!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
not sure about the laptop thingy.. i usually download things to my flash drive then take home to my laptop.. its too much hassle to carry the thing around all day

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
NichNich said:
Many thanks for the replies!

I'm considering in getting a laptop for uni... and was wondering whether I can use it to download stuff using the uni's internet. If so, where do I find a plug where I can connect to the internet from my laptop? And what kind of plug is it? (yes, I'm a damn laptop idiot lol) If I can connect my laptop to the uni's internet, I can download anything I'd like right? lol

Thanks!
You're able to connect to the University network via wireless connection in the AIC (Auchmuty Information Common) and the CT building. This page will help you out with setting up your laptop: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/services/library/aic/laptop.html

You can download anything you want, but it's all monitored.. so be careful. :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
honky tonk said:
You can download anything you want, but it's all monitored.. so be careful. :)
You sound as if you've been caught...has Josh been a naughty boy?
:p

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
PookieMonster said:
r u talking bout the same uni (newi) cos on friday the 18th i have my faculty of education and arts thing
not what u said.
I am talking about the central coast campus

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
So THATS what you were doing in the AIC those times I stalked you!!
I keep forgetting you know who I am. :(

I'll find you one day. Then I'll point, laugh, and move on.

christian_j

HSC
I just accepted then, so I havent got any information.... when is O - week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)