Some P.O.D HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
Could u guys help me.. if u have time

Q. Industrial Production of ethanol from sugar cane??

Q. Process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of element
For 2nd question.. do u talk about transuranic and commercial isotopes???

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
1) uses molasses -> dimer of glucose -> industrial waste from production of sugar -> saves cost

2) "discovery of element" implies the element which has not been there before. ie, look on your periodic table, how many gaps have been filled since your periodic table has been printed?

MaccaFacta

HSC
N/A
Sugar cane contains sugars, one of which is glucose C6H12O6.

C6H12O6 -> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2 (fermentation reaction). Yeast changes the glucose into ethanol C2H5OH.

I think the syllabus is referring to the increasing number of transuranic elements (I think we're up to 118). These elements are created by smashing a smaller nucleus into a bigger nucleus in a particle accelerator e.g. for 118, calcium nuclei (which have 20 protons) are smashed into californium nuclei (which have 98 protons) to form very unstable nuclei with 118 protons. The 118 might only last for a millionth of a second or less, but by observing the bits that fly off when it disintegrates, scientists can be sure that it was formed. Check out the link http://www.physorg.com/news80226997.html.

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
回复: Some P.O.D HELP!!!

ok cool ^_^

for nuclear chemistry..

do u have to know the formula or just how it made???

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Some P.O.D HELP!!!

@macca: industrially, using glucose is expensive and less economically viable. which is why they use molasses, which contains mostly sucrose. as an industrial waste of producing white sugar (glucose), molasses is much viable as a starting material for fermentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)