songs as related texts? (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
Do you think songs are generally weak to use as related texts? This is what I've been told.

I was thinking to do "Exodus" by Evanescence as a related text for belonging..

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If really recommend against it. I'm a lecture from the ext. 1 head marker last term she basically said to never, ever do it. If you have a excellent understanding on how pitch and rhythm shape meaning though, you could try it. You can't just do song lyrics but, you have to so the song itself. This includes discussion of the musical form and how meaning is developed through it.

GabbyS

HSC
My teacher said that you should avoid music at all costs unless you are a music student/highly knowledgeable and can analyse the music part as well as the lyrics, just like how if you chose a film you have to analyse film techniques and not just the dialogue. If you're searching for a succinct related text, you could try a poem? They're great if you find novels and large texts overwhelming.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
I advise my class against it as well. You need to analyse feelings and emotions and other strong ways of communicating . Not just looking at lyrics

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
apparently when you analyse songs you need to analyse the pitch and other musical features of the music as well as the lyrics-it is highly challenging if you are not an experienced music student-hence it should be avoided at all costs-because belonging is a relatively easy module-you don't want to make it unnecessary hard for yourself to get marks by doing a song-unless you have experience of deconstructing a song as a related text in the past and have gotten good marks for it-don't... (and a weakness of songs is they usually have repetitive lyrics which means it will reduce the scope of possible belonging ideas you can extract from this text)-if you want to do shorter texts-a poem might be a better choice

pigas

HSC
I'm thinking about using a novel instead which I have read several times. It does have a strong concept of belonging however my prescribed text is Peter Skyznecki's poems which have a large cultural basis sort of theme, and my related text doesn't. Do you think it's OK to use texts with different themes?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm thinking about using a novel instead which I have read several times. It does have a strong concept of belonging however my prescribed text is Peter Skyznecki's poems which have a large cultural basis sort of theme, and my related text doesn't. Do you think it's OK to use texts with different themes?
Its best to use relevant themes. When I did my related text, it resonated with the theme of conformity and acceptance , which was perfect for Migrant Hostel and Feliks Skrzynecki. May I ask what themes are sustained throughout the novel?

pigas

HSC
I'm actually using both those texts for my speech! So far from what I have done I focused on a cultural theme but also a bit about conformity.

I'm thinking to use the novel "Skin" by Adrienne Maria Vrettos, where the character is rejected by everyone at his school, an outcast, and furthermore there is a disconnection between the members of his family because his sister develops anorexia causing problems in the family, and his parents are always fighting. I guess a pretty straight-forward theme about not fitting in with others. I think maybe it's not "deep"/complex enough?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm actually using both those texts for my speech! So far from what I have done I focused on a cultural theme but also a bit about conformity.

I'm thinking to use the novel "Skin" by Adrienne Maria Vrettos, where the character is rejected by everyone at his school, an outcast, and furthermore there is a disconnection between the members of his family because his sister develops anorexia causing problems in the family, and his parents are always fighting. I guess a pretty straight-forward theme about not fitting in with others. I think maybe it's not "deep"/complex enough?
That is fine for the main theme. I haven't read that novel so I can't really help. Sorry.

Other themes you should consider, which are interwoven with people, place, time, context, etc, in depth for complexity and specific types of belonging are:

- Choice for individuals and groups (Came up in my HSC this year and was laughing, since it was a main theme for me)
- Memory, which may be common or lacking for an individual or a group (a family or community)
- Identity, which may lead to one's isolation/rejection or acceptance
- Ideas, which can be common between people allowing them to belong or a lack of common ideas may lead to rejection/isolation.

There are a few others that I can't think of at the moment. Good Luck with the speech.

Last edited:

d-alarmclock

HSC
I've heard from way too many people that it isn't a good idea. Personally, I think that it's perfectly fine, just as long as you don't pick a very mainstream pop song. I think best way to go is probably have a look through triple j's top 100 songs or something of that sort, go alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)