Sonny Bill Williams leaves Bulldogs for France (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Triangulum said:
stas, you've done some contracts stuff at uni. what action can the bulldogs take against sbw given that he's overseas?
I only took an introductory commercial law unit. Ultimately, the bulldogs will seek damages as well as get reimbursed for the salary payments made thus far.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
What a fucking hypocrite.

He had the biggest cry when Willy left, and now he does the same, but in worse fashion.

/Respect.

(I didn't read any previous posts, so If this has already been said, sorry)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
you do realise he could get another one-way ticket back to australia?
If he took a one-way ticket he doesn't have the intention of coming back.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
kaz1 said:
If he took a one-way ticket he doesn't have the intention of coming back.
oh really? i was merely replying to the other post that implied he wouldn't be able to come back if he has a 1-way ticket to the moon.

HSC guy

HSC
stazi said:
You're overthinking it and contradicting yourself. So SBW was angry at mason: he talked about how unloyal Mason is; that SBW proclaimed that people should be more loyal. ... then you say that Mason left so SBW grew up and decided not to be loyal... Those are the exact same occasions.
My point was, you can have a rose colored glasses view of the world until someone does something to make you understand the harsh realities of the world. My guess at what he was feeling is he got burnt by Mason and got a "if he didn't care about me then im not gunna care about the team" attitude. Selfish?yes. Hypocritical?yes. Unfair to the blokes who didn't cut and run?yes. I understand all that and i understand the ugliness of what he did and all the people he hurt. But i have the ability to emphathize and i'm not delusional enough to think i'd knock back a multi million dollar contract if i was ever offered it. And how many of us here, if we're really honest to ourselves, can say we'd say no to 3 million? Most people would say they'd be loyal, and most of those people would be liars.

I don't like what he did but this isn't a black and white world and i understand why he did what he did and i'd do the same if i was in his position so i can't throw stones from my glass house, unlike most league fans.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
Dogs are going down ^^ so happy Hopefully Dogs will stay below the EEls 4ever. SOnny Bills is so not overate, if you think hes overated....i dont know whos a better forward then him. hes everything to the bulldogs. EVERYTHING...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
it is not anyone's fault that he feels ripped off for listening to mason but his own. if he wanted to leave, and his heart is not at the dogs anymore, he should talk to the board and ask for a release and state his case. take away all the ethical questions. the bottom line is, like it or not, the bloke has to honour his contract.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Game on path to destruction

Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Brent Read | July 28, 2008
THE NRL is at a crossroads and its survival could hinge on which path it takes in reaction to Sonny Bill Williams' dramatic exit from the game at the weekend.

One path is painful. It involves radical changes to the competition structure and its clubs.

The other leads nowhere. It travels in circles, retaining the status quo and leaving the game at the mercy of those waiting to pick it apart.

While other codes are striding ahead, rugby league is labouring. Sydney clubs are under immense financial pressure with no salvation in sight.

Elite players are deserting the game to take up lucrative offers from rugby union in France. Only three have gone, but more will follow unless something is done.

Yesterday, as the game digested Williams' decision to walk out on the Bulldogs to join French club Toulon on a two-year deal believed to be worth upwards of $2.6million, concerns were again raised for the NRL's future.

Those at the top preach calm but plenty are ready to hit the panic button. Matthew Johns has been involved in the game a long time and he fears it has seen its best days.

"I say that hoping I am wrong," he said. "But unless something radical is done, I fear I might be right."

Johns isn't the first to raise concerns. The NRL has been warned by its own chief executives it needs to consider its future.

As a result, a committee has been set up to develop a long-term strategy for where the game wants to be in years to come.

Against that backdrop, the world is closing in. French rugby union has poached three players within the past month. Two of those - Williams and St George Illawarra captain Mark Gasnier - are superstars.

In France, rugby union is a plaything for the rich and famous. The only limit is how much owners are prepared to spend.

"It's very easy to articulate the challenges and the problems that the game has got," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"It's very difficult to come up with solutions that will plug every hole. Large contracts are going to be on offer overseas.

"This sort of issue goes beyond the money and contracts and salary caps, it's about walking out on your team-mates ..."

Perhaps it's even bigger than that. Some think it's about rugby league's survival.

"I have never seen the game so vulnerable," Johns said.

"It's time for action. If it's too hard for the people who are running our game to call, have the dignity to stand aside and let someone else take control."

Gallop has called on the International Rugby Board to intervene and prevent Williams from switching codes, given he is still under contract at the Bulldogs.

He has also threatened to place a lifetime ban on Williams returning to the NRL if he does play rugby union.

It's a threat that is unlikely to concern Williams, given the riches that are on offer in European rugby union.

"I'll be calling on the IRB today to get involved on an urgent basis," Gallop said.

"Certainly we will be making an approach to them formally. They will know of this and they will know it is condoning international piracy to allow a player of either code to just walk out on a contract.

"They have control over the member nations and they can surely get involved to stop the registration of any contract in France.

"I would hope they would recognise that contractual stability is very important for both codes."

Gallop's cap-in-hand approach to the IRB drips of irony given rugby league spent years poaching rugby union players.

"If we're leaning on the IRB for help, we're in desperate trouble," Johns said.

Williams has been disillusioned with the game for several months, but his decision created shockwaves.

"I am bewildered and disappointed," Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer said.

"I don't know if he is getting the right advice."

Read between the lines and Mortimer was referring to Williams' manager Khoder Nasser.

Nasser, who also manages world champion boxer Anthony Mundine, attempted to defend the indefensible last night. "There's a lot of things running through his mind and he obviously thought that was the best thing to do at the time," Nasser told the Nine Network.

"I haven't contacted him but I know Anthony Mundine has spoken to Sonny and that he said the only regret Sonny had was he couldn't tell all the fans or young kids that really look up to him the reasons why he had to do what he did.

"At the end of the day everyone is sitting here and thinking about their own selfish needs. Why hasn't he told us? No-one is thinking about Sonny and what Sonny did. Everyone is thinking about themselves. In time we'll see why."

However, he declined to reveal why Williams had turned his back on the Bulldogs.

Others were lining up to lambast Williams for walking out on his club, his team-mates and the fans.

"He's an adult," Gallop said.

"Whatever advice he's been getting, he has to make his own decision. And he has made that decision.

"I don't think we have to be blaming anyone else.

"To make this type of decision, without talking to anyone within your club, knowing how your team-mates might feel to be abandoned like this, indicates to me he is troubled."

In that respect, he shares something in common with the game he has abandoned.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24086435-5012431,00.html

ahosiw

HSC
sonny is all about money! so who ever offers him more money then i guess thats where he goes. i dont think he knows the meaning of loyalty.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
dodgyv said:
Dogs are going down ^^ so happy Hopefully Dogs will stay below the EEls 4ever. SOnny Bills is so not overate, if you think hes overated....i dont know whos a better forward then him. hes everything to the bulldogs. EVERYTHING...
Omg.

I cant believe a person with an IQ of 5 can get a $3 Million contract.
Look up some of his interviews and see how he talks like a 5 year old (I AM NOT JOKING)

Sonny Bill is a hypocrite as he said about Willie Mason earlier this year "My respect for him has diminished" as he left the bulldogs..

I cant believe he deserted his team 2 days before a game...

Its his first year in his contract and he already wants to quit. lol

I Dont believe a person with an IQ of 5 could have come up with this decision all on his own, Im pretty sure his dodgy pathetic excuse for a "manager" put him up to it

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Exphate said:
No one got this rowdy over Gower.

Or Gasnier.
gaz didn't violate his contract, he had a get-out clause which he chose to exercise. also, he didn't just skip the country without telling anyone. (can't remember what happened with gower, but i don't think he did either of those either)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Omium said:
Yeah I have seen a few of his interviews.Not a bright spark.
but you dont need a high IQ to play rugby...

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Omium said:
welcome to the world of professional sports... realistically stars like Gasnier and Williams should be earning at least 1 million/year considering they're the top players in the top league in the world for the sport

but there isn't enough tv money available to a provincial sport like league to keep the star players in the face of money from european rugby clubs (rugby at least has a limited international appeal)

The only thing they could do is raise the salary caps, but in the light of the pokie taxes and empty stadiums most clubs (especially in Sydney) are already struggling with only News Limited keeping them alive... Parramatta recently called for the salary cap to be reduced

if the ppl running the game had any sense they would have already set up a transfer system so the bulldogs would have benefitted from SBW's move

A career in sport is only 10-15 years, you can't blaim anyone for wanting to get as much out of it as possible, especially in a game that farks up your body as badly as league

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Shittest thing about footy, you can be the dumbest fuck and make more then someone as smart as fuck. fuck

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
HSC guy said:
I don't like what he did but this isn't a black and white world and i understand why he did what he did and i'd do the same if i was in his position so i can't throw stones from my glass house, unlike most league fans.
Obviously, you don't fully understand the position he held.

Paul Kent mentions the position he held fairly well, I suggest you read the article.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
Omium said:
Omg.

Look up some of his interviews and see how he talks like a 5 year old (I AM NOT JOKING)

Sonny Bill is a hypocrite as he said about Willie Mason earlier this year "My respect for him has diminished" as he left the bulldogs..

I cant believe he deserted his team 2 days before a game...

Its his first year in his contract and he already wants to quit. lol

I Dont believe a person with an IQ of 5 could have come up with this decision all on his own, Im pretty sure his dodgy pathetic excuse for a "manager" put him up to it

no hes not a hypocrite. cause he said he learnt from willy that its not all about being loyal and he isnt going to stay loyal to the buldogs.

i think thats what he said i forgot but i know hes not. Mehh sooner or later if stars keep leaving ill have 2 stop watchin NRL and switch to watching english super leagues instead. so atm it doesnt botther me 2 much....but if another eels player leaves ill have 2 reconsider...

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24091420-23214,00.html
SONNY Bill Williams has been subpoenaed to appear in the NSW Supreme Court court next Tuesday in the first step towards a possible injunction preventing the Bulldogs superstar walking out on the NRL club.

The stunning development comes as Williams surfaced at London's Heathrow Airport, where he was believed to be en route to Toulon in southern France.

The Bulldogs, with the support of the NRL, sought an injunction with the Supreme Court, which, if passed, would prevent Williams from taking up a rumoured $3 million, two-year deal to switch codes.

"The injunction will seek to restrain him from training or playing other than in accordance with the Bulldogs contract," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"The consequences of breaching an injunction when put in place are that he is liable to contempt of court proceedings that can involve everything from arrest to seizure of assets."

Player manager Khoder Nasser has also been subpoenaed to provide documents relating to information on Williams's whereabouts by Thursday.

Should Williams not front next week, or have a representative appear on his behalf, the hearing will be postponed.

This would be followed by legal arguments to show whether Williams is in contempt of court or whether in fact the Supreme Court has jurisdiction in the matter given Williams is now overseas.

Bulldogs lawyer Arthur Moses claimed the court should have jurisdiction given the breach of contract was committed in NSW.

Supreme Court judge Robert Austin admitted to Moses "you've got a bit of a burden on your shoulders" in reference to the Bulldogs bid to track down Williams.

"I'm concerned this is kind of a blitzkrieg strategy," he said.

The Department of Immigration has also subpoenaed in a bid to help track down Williams, given he would have supplied them with a French address on his departure.

The Bulldogs attempted to have Nasser subpoenaed despite assertions from the controversial player manager yesterday that he was not representing the runaway star.

The Bulldogs claimed they had been operating under the assumption Nasser had been acting as Williams's manger since earlier this year.

"I've been instructed to deal with Khoder Nasser over the last three months and that instruction has come from Sonny Bill Williams direct," Greenberg said.

"Who we (deal with) going forward I'm not sure."

historykidd

HSC
Alright, fucking hell. This is seemingly worse then I expected.

Rugby league stars urged to quit for cash
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Paul Kent and Phil Rothfield

July 29, 2008 12:00am

A TEXT message urging league stars to abandon their clubs and accept lucrative international contracts confirms the NRL is under siege from player managers desperate to sign players with French rugby.

As the Sonny Bill Williams' saga continued to unfold, senior players - including Penrith star Frank Pritchard - admitted they wanted to break their contracts and join Williams in France.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained an SMS sent by Greg Keenan, the manager of star player Willie Mason, telling players he is working from London and offering them big money if they sign with rugby and take him on exclusively as their manager.

"G'day Nigel, it's Greg Keenan mate. I'm working out of my London office and have been doing a number of union deals in France," Keenan wrote to former Kiwi Test star Nigel Vagana.

"I'd be interested in putting you forward for a gig if you're keen but only if you'll sign an exclusive contract with me.

"Let me know your thoughts. Cheers, Greg."

Keenan is believed to be the conduit between French rugby club Toulon, where Sonny Bill Williams is headed, and Khoder Nasser, the architect of Williams' deal.

Neither Keenan nor Nasser are accredited by the NRL.

Some players Keenan is approaching are represented by other agents.

Their treachery comes as NRL chief executive David Gallop warned of a bitter battle ahead: "The consequences of breaching an injunction are he is liable to contempt of court proceedings. That can involve everything from arrest to seizure of assets. We're taking this very seriously."

The NRL was struck another blow with accredited player manager Steve Gillis revealing he has fielded calls from at least six players looking to go to France since Williams' defection on Saturday.

Yesterday Pritchard revealed he would be happy to quit the NRL and his club for French rugby.

Pritchard, who spoke with several French clubs at the start of the season, expected the huge cash on offer to lure many more NRL stars to Europe in the coming years.

But Keenan's actions have stunned many.

He is in Europe trying to induce more players to break their contracts - even as he has an application before the NRL to become an accredited player manager.

Vagana's manager Chris Orr slammed Keenan as "unethical" and said he texted Keenan directly back.

"I don't expect I will hear back from him," Orr said.

Keenan and Nasser have drawn widespread criticism over their double-dealings.

As well as being unaccredited by the NRL, Keenan is currently under investigation by the Rugby Union Players Association over third party payments.

Keenan's highest profile client is Sydney Roosters forward Mason, who just yesterday declared:, "Never say never" when the proposition of taking a French contract was put to him.

Strangely, Keenan has since emailed Gallop.

"You don't need to be alarmed as Willie and I understand what a contract is," he wrote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)