south africa historiography? (1 Viewer)

Nightminds00

HSC
Does anyone have any good historians commenting on the apartheid era?
I have found a few, but most give the same view point.
Is there any particularly controversial historians out there to do with South Africa? (kind of like what taylor was for germany)

I also am wondering if anyone has any historians that wrote during apartheid and who portrayed a very bias and pro-apartheid opinion as this will contrast well with what i already have collected for my assignment.
Thankyou!

rama_v

HSC
Nightminds00 said:
Does anyone have any good historians commenting on the apartheid era?
I have found a few, but most give the same view point.
Is there any particularly controversial historians out there to do with South Africa? (kind of like what taylor was for germany)

I also am wondering if anyone has any historians that wrote during apartheid and who portrayed a very bias and pro-apartheid opinion as this will contrast well with what i already have collected for my assignment.
Thankyou!
Have a look at the library (not your school one, the local library), for books, many will have quotes or have been written by historians themselves so see if you can pull some quotes from there. Failing that, make a good quote up and use a little known historian's name, they'll never know ;)

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think I said this somewhere else, but generally forget historians for S.A. It's just too recent for there to be great authorities on the subject.
The best you can do is quote the main political actors (Mandella, Biko, Botha etc., also Clinton, Thatcher, Reagan -remember it's an international topic)

oreo_nimrodel

HSC
Everything was bias during apartheid, pro and anti. Ifyou ever saw propoganda, that time was it. Anyway, expat right here so any specific questions, I'll see what I can do.

oreo_nimrodel

HSC
Just thought of something if you're settling for quotes from controversial people, Breyton Breytenbach was a controversial writer/poet/activist and may be worth a look. There is also a good book, The Illustrated History of South Africa: The Real Story. If you're looking for a symbol for the peak of teh whole issue, there's that photo of Hector Petersen, but I suppose that's beside the point. Anyway, will see if I can find any historians for you....

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Some Historians i am quoting from are:
Nigel Worden, Davenport, Reeves, Beinhart, Robert Price, Kay Carroll, Baker, R.Schrier, Culpin, M.Galagher, Catherine Bradley, D.Smith, Allistair Sparks, Martin Roberts and Robert Ross.

And of course, im also going to quote from key individuals such as Mandela, Voerwood, Biko, Malan, Tambo, Luthuli, Xuma, etc. Hopefully, i remember all my quotes but luckily i find South Africa to be much easier compared to like, Russia.

Good Luck to everyone doing South Africa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)