South Korea to Resume Importing American Beef (1 Viewer)

studymon

Happy Member
HSC
South Korea to Resume Importing American Beef
By CHOE SANG-HUN
Published: April 18, 2008

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea agreed on Friday to resume American beef imports, ending a three-year ban over concerns about mad cow disease and removing a lingering obstacle hours before their leaders meet to discuss free trade and North Korea.

The agreement to allow American beef imports, unpopular among South Korean farmers, was an indication of the eagerness of President Lee Myung-bak of South Korea to mend ties with Washington.

He is also trying to persuade the South Korean Parliament to ratify a wider trade deal before the term ends in late May, hoping it may give President Bush additional leverage as he tries to get Congressional support for the pact.
South Korea suspended American beef imports in 2003 after an outbreak of mad cow disease, also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy. The ban deprived American beef exporters of their third-largest market.

The South Korean Agriculture Ministry said Friday that it would allow American beef imports from cattle younger than 30 months. Younger cattle are thought to be less at risk for mad cow disease. Imports will resume in mid-May, the ministry said, with imports of older cattle coming later.

... (full article at: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/18/business/18cnd-beef.html?_r=1&scp=9&sq=korea%20meat&st=cse&oref=slogin)

Apparently even Americans do not consume this meat, instead they buy Australian meat to consume. To think that the political government of Lee Myung bak would allow the trading of meat in America that is banned in all other nations really questions the intentions of this government.
The threats it poses on the nation can not be underestimated as BSE (aka mad cows disease) is highly contagious and even the consumption of a pepper-sized amount can cause the consumer to get BSE. When contaminated with the diesease, the brain of the victim starts showing a kind of sponge-phenomenon whereby tiny holes start to formate causing a severe dysfunction to the whole neural system. The overall effect is in similar lines to alzheimers...

...what do other people think of this issue? esp. a call to all of you Koreans out there...

studymon

Happy Member
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
I don't see I should care?
...This may not affect Australia in the short run. However, this trade acts as a kind of first step towards free trading of such meat in all nations across the world. Not only are cows used as food in the form of meat, but are also included in pharmaceuticals such as capsules (which contain the gelatin in its coating). Such medicine can be imported from overseas, which could contain traces of BSE...i dont believe one should ever be so disinterested just because its an issue happening in another country.

HalcyonSky

HSC
studymon said:
...This may not affect Australia in the short run. However, this trade acts as a kind of first step towards free trading of such meat in all nations across the world. Not only are cows used as food in the form of meat, but are also included in pharmaceuticals such as capsules (which contain the gelatin in its coating). Such medicine can be imported from overseas, which could contain traces of BSE...i dont believe one should ever be so disinterested just because its an issue happening in another country.
i'm still trying really hard to care, but failing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)