Spartan involvement in political life (1 Viewer)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC

Different levels of Sparan society had different impacts on the political life within Sparta. The kings were the political figurehead, then you had the Geriousia who passed bills, prepared business, deliberated public policy; the ephors - delt with foreign policy

The assemblies - which were all spartan men who had passed the agoge - listened adn voted on bills (meant to be a democratic part of the political insitutions)

thats just a couple of examples - you would need to flesh it out a bit

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Um u shouldda been given info bout the whole political system, including the ephors, gerousia, kings, etc. If not juz google it

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
yeah just a bit...but were meant to remember the essay and write it out during class
its worth 20%

scraneth

HSC
Hey don't google it, i find the result unreliable, I suggest hitting "A history of Greece" by Bury and Meiggs. I think it is the best of all the text books on Acient Greece.

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Spartan political involvement

Only Spartiates were eligible for political involvement. This means Spartan adult males of 30 years who could participate in Apella meetings. You must Know the Spartan constitution to fully understand their political rights/obligations and the age regulations which governed. I suggest you try WG Forrest and Paul Cartledge's books on Sparta, plus Aristotle's comments on the Spartan constitution in The Politics and Xenephon.

Hope this helps,

Magister

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)