Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
xx__savannah said:
Oh, for crying out loud, anyone can form an opinion at anytime when presented 'facts'. The original poster didn't clarify that he even needed the special provisions, just that alot of people, himself included, applied for them. I only know one person who has applied for special provisions, and he pretty much broke his neck so it was obvious he needed it, and it has never been mentioned to people I know whose writing is barely legible to most, so I thought it was fairly uncommon that they are sought out and awarded.
Therefore when this guy implied that a large number of people from his grade -- indeed "Most of the people in (his) grade" -- applied for typing provisions, it does look suspicious, like timobr0, michaeln36 and the rest of us, pretty much, have said.

And if something's posted on the net, especially in a forum, of course people are going to comment -.-
.. all that has been SAID people just keep commenting - saying the same thing in a horrible way, i know if you post on a forum you will get replies, but does the internet suddenly mean that people are rude? can't people just be civil :(

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
vanush said:
Maybe he's from a school of retards?
That is just harsh to say that someone is a 'retard' because he has requested special provisions for the HSC by no means does being granted special provision give the student an 'advantage' the often are watched by a hawk by a seperate superviser in the exams very closely, closer than the students in the exam hall are being watched. Take that from someone who actually did their HSC with specal provisions, Having said that and completing two of my HSC subjects in 2004 in which I got marks in the 80's for does that make me a cheat or a deadicated and sucessful student???
timobr0 said:
but can retards even type properly ? :p
I dont believe the mentality of some ppl and how an individuals or 'group' of individual can be so damn naive, I just hope the day doesn't come along when you guys find yourself needing the assistance of others to complete something inportant or major.For god sake guys stop worrying and bitching about someone applying for special provisions and start worrying about your marks and yourself as opposed to someone else.

Last edited:

MichaelRoberts

HSC
My goodness!

Some of you are certainly quick to judge. You obviously have no understanding of the reasons for special provisions, and why it is required.

Since alot of you are actually 'wondering' why I should be getting special provisions, I'll give you this:

From the OT Report
"Michael presents major problems with handwriting legibility, which is caused by mechanical difficulty" (hand-eye co-ordination), and I have problems with hand-writing speed and legibility particularly in long duration tasks.

The findings of the report was that my performance in handwriting tasks 'may not reflect his competence or knowledge.'
My handwriting speed was in the 1st percentine in neat and slow (this was below and average, and was placed into the 'servere' category.

The suggestion is that I be given the typing ability in HSC Exams, as overall being able does not give me the pain, and eliminates the motor components to allow me to focus on the language component.

What I was permitted was resting time, up to 5 minutes for every half hour, which is no reading, no writing, just resting.

The problem I face now is that I have been using a laptop for schoolwork, to make sure I am able to do my best, because the information I recieved was that it was likely they would. Having now to revert back, could very well disadvantage me in HSC.

There are only I think 5 or 6 people applying for special provisions in our grade. Two are for learning disabilities and processing information, one for a guy who has diabetes and one other guy for the same reasons I am. That's 5% of my year. My school has an excellent reputation for HSC results, and I assure you there are no 'retards' where I go to school. What an outrageous claim! You hardly know me.

Alot of you have thrown ideas in, and I will try to respond to them. I'm sorry Im not quoting you by name, but I'm sure you will get my gist.
  • It seems crazy only to allow a certain amount of people should get SP. Each year is different, and it would be an ludicrous if the BOS put a cap on the amount of provisions, as people who geuninely need it may fit over that special number
  • It is true that Occupational Therapists are paid for a report. Just like a doctor, they require accreditations and their report is viewed as independent.
  • In some cases someone with SP can type more than others can write, however when these people write, they write MUCH LESS than they could because of their motor problems.
  • I'm not having a 'fken cry' about it, and thank you for the suggestion of 'man up', but the idea of getting me tested was suggested by one of my teachers who knows me well, because she believed my handwriting was really restricting me, because of the speed and legibility
  • Special Provisions isn't cheating the system at all, nor is it a scam. Is a handicap in sport cheating? It's making the system fair for those who are disadvantaged. It's for the same reasons we have life skills for those in School Certificate.
  • As GoldenDawn said, many of you dont understand, and that's fine. Just dont make a judgement on the very little information you have.
  • My school is not a school of cheats, and again it comes back to understanding!
Let's cool this down.

If you're here to bag out Special Provisions, make a new thread. Dont abuse the purpose behind this one.

Michael

Last edited:

Cpt obvious

HSC
gday i am still waiting for the results of my special provisions application i had them for the school certificate. my hand writing has plagued me for my entire life i have so many work sheets ripped by disgruntled teachers. it actually takes me just as long to type as to write. i have a brain of a band 5 level student but the hand writing ability of a year 1. is it just for me to get automaticaly disregarded as moron because no can read my writing.
Your denial is a worry for me as have been trying to improve my handwriting since year 3 and could result in a poor hsc for me.

Atticus Ryan

beachbabe123
HSC
Michael Roberts said:
My goodness!

Some of you are certainly quick to judge. You obviously have no understanding of the reasons for special provisions, and why it is required.

Since alot of you are actually 'wondering' why I should be getting special provisions, I'll give you this:

From the OT Report
"Michael presents major problems with handwriting legibility, which is caused by mechanical difficulty (hand-eye co-ordination), and I have problems with hand-writing speed and legibility particulary in long duration tasks.

The findings of the report was that my performance in handwriting tasks 'may not reflect his competence or knowledge.'
My handwriting speend was in the 1st perchentile in neat and slow (this was below and average, and was placed into the 'servere' category.

The suggestion is that I be given the typing ability, as overall it does not give me the pain, and eliminates the motor components to allow me to focus on the language component.

What I was permitted was resting time, up to 5 minutes for every half hour, which is no reading, no writing, just resting.

The problem I face now is that I have been using a laptop for schoolwork, to make sure I am able to do my best, because the information I recieved was that it was likely they would. Having now to revert back, could very well disadvantage me in HSC.

There are only I think 5 or 6 people applying for special provisions in our grade. Two are for learning disabilities and processing information, one for a guy who has diabetes and one other guy for the same reasons I am. That's 5% of my year. My school has an excellent reputation for HSC results, and I assure you there are no 'retards' where I go to school. What an outrageous claim! You hardly know me.

Alot of you have thrown ideas in, so I'm sorry Im not quoting you by name, but I'm sure you will get my gist.

* It seems crazy only to allow a certain amount of people should get SP. Each year is different, and it would be an ludicrious if the BOS put a cap on the amount of provisions, as people who geuninly need it may fit over that special number
* It is true that Occupational Therapists are paid for a report. Just like a doctor, they require accreditations and their report is viewed as independent.
* In some cases someone with SP can type more than others can write, however when these people write, they write ALOT LESS than they could because of their motor problems.
* I am not having a 'fken cry' about it, and thank you for the suggestion of 'man up', but the idea of getting me tested was suggested by one of my teachers who knows me well, because she believed my handwriting was really restricting me, because of the speed and legibility
* Special Provisions aren't cheating the system at all, nor is it a scam. Is a handi-cap in sport cheating? Its making the system fair for those who are disadvantaged. Why do we have life skills for those in School Certificate?
* As GoldenDawn said, alot of you dont understand, and that's fine. Just dont make a judgement on the very little information you have.
* My school is not a school of cheats, and again it comes back to understanding!

Let's cool this down.

If your here to bag out Special Provisions, make a new thread. Dont abuse the purpose behind this one

Michael
a lot* (four times)
"Michael presents major problems with handwriting legibility, - finish with a quotation mark.
particularly*
speed*
percentile*
severe*
I'm* (don't forget the contraction apostrophe!)
ludicrous*
genuinely*
. Don't forget your periods at the end of sentences!
handicap* - there's no hyphen.
you're* - your is a possessive pronoun, whereas "you're", the word you are looking for, is a contraction of "you are".

Hope you find this helpful!

In the meantime, learn how to handwrite.

D

doiyoubi

Atticus Ryan said:
a lot* (four times)
"Michael presents major problems with handwriting legibility, - finish with a quotation mark.
particularly*
speed*
percentile*
severe*
ludicrous*
genuinely*
you're* - your is a possessive pronoun, whereas "you're", the word you are looking for, is a contraction of "you are".

Ignore this person

Cpt obvious

HSC
a lot* (four times)
particularly*
speed*
percentile*
severe*
ludicrous*
genuinely*

Champ imagine how bad his grammer would be if he had to concentrate on his handwriting.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
[Guys, please refrain from flaming in this thread. He asked a question, if you can't answer it or don't have anything positive to contribute, it's simple. don't say it.]

When did you receive the declination of your application?

You should have a read of this to get understanding of how the process works if you haven't already.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/specialexamprovs.pdf

"Should a student wish to appeal the decision to decline a provision, the appeal must be submitted through the school within 14 days of receiving the special provisions decision letter. The appeal must state the reason why the decision is considered unacceptable, making reference to the evidence supplied in the original application. The appeal must include new supportive evidence, such as a further medical report, which clearly states why the student needs the provision, or additional reading, writing or spelling test results. The Board of Studies will conduct an independent review and a decision will be made within twentyone days. A letter advising the outcome of the appeal will be sent to the school and to the student."

They do have a board of qualified staff that makes the decision of whether you are allowed to have the provision. But I guess they do expect that not everything is perfect and do allow appeals. That's probably your best option right now.

Hope that helps. Goodluck.

Last edited:

MichaelRoberts

HSC
Why thank you for those suggestions.
I apologise for my incorrect grammar, spelt with an AR, I would of thought that one was obvious!

I had an assessment to finish, so I'm sorry I didnt have time to edit my post well, because I had more important things (like my HSC Assessment) to finish.

Find a hobby, if you have nothing better to do that pick out my typo's.

Last edited:

Tom BMGS

HSC
Owned.
We all know you don't need it Michael.
You're just lazy.
Your writing is perfectly fine. You managed to survive up until this year.
You're just trying to jump on the bandwagon, same as Seb.
Get a real reason.

HSC
N/A
Hey, does anyone know if you get special provisions for dyslexia?
I'm not sure if it's even called that (special prov). But one of my friends said that she was eligible for extra UAI points because she's dyslexic.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The_Apprentice said:
Hey, does anyone know if you get special provisions for dyslexia?
I'm not sure if it's even called that (special prov). But one of my friends said that she was eligible for extra UAI points because she's dyslexic.
Thats EAS, not special provisions. If you want to know more about EAS, look here and here.

HSC
N/A
Thanks Brogan and Kami. I was just curious cos I think I might be dyslexic, I'm going to get tested when I can be bothered to look into it (after exams).

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The_Apprentice said:
Thanks Brogan and Kami. I was just curious cos I think I might be dyslexic, I'm going to get tested when I can be bothered to look into it (after exams).
Not to pry or anything, but why do you need EAS considering you're already in uni?

HSC
N/A
Haha, no I don't need EAS. But I'm curious, and it's been bothering me for years. And it would be interesting to know whether I would've been eligible for EAS and where that could've gotten me.

gracie007

HSC
err, i dont understand. why would you say most people in your grade are applying for sp. doesnt really make sense.

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
Hi I am Champs boyfriend. Ive been out of school now for awhile but one thing ive noticed is that wherever you go there will be people who are happy to make comments about things they know very little about, and there are also people who are so insecure with themselves they will try and cut you down to their size. Anyone who thinks that skill with punctuation and handwriting is a good measure of intelligence obviously dont have much to offer the world :). I think people who focus on things like this are basically intellectual snobs. Like people who belive that people who are brought up in an environment where people use slang and express themselves in a simple way are not as intelligent as people who speak very formal english. Dont cut someone down because you dont understand their potential, give people the chance to show you what there capable of, we all know the current school system dosent suit everyone, Einstein didnt do to well in school, if special provisions are a better format for you to show your worth go for it! :)

michaeln36

HSC
except that people who get special provisions actually end up BENIFITING from their laziness (of not learning how to write etc.. basic skillz). He got through the first 12 years of school, and now in the final year, where he gets extra time (or gets to type) he decides to pull out this goddam stunt... DISADVANTAGING EVERY ONE OF YOU ON THIS FORUM. EVERY RANK HE GOES UP DUE TO HIS EXTRA TIME IS ONE RANK YOU GO DOWN.
With extra time, duh he can write more, and with typing --- thats a goddam lot faster than writing.
SO, if u like being cheated, like being beaten by someone who had an extra 20 mins to do the exam than u, then support his guy (who the BOS didn't even think deserved special provisions -- and they are VERY LENIENT). But if u like tests to be fair, if u think that everyone should get 2 hours, that everyone should write out their answers .. then tell this idiot to shutup, accept the BOSs decision, AND STUDY LIKE THE REST OF US, rather than trying to cheat us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)